RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Ticking Sound in Dash 2001 RX300

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-04, 03:17 PM
nesby
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking Sound in Dash 2001 RX300

I've scoured the web and found a bunch of RX300 owners have the same problem I'm having....a clicking sound coming from the driver's side dash while driving. Although this seems to be a common problem, I have not found anyone who has found a solution. The noise is not loud, but it's consistent and very annoying. Any suggestions??
Old 08-31-04, 04:58 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

mine has the same problem. Sometimes, it not only ticks but also makes a sound like a medium sized steel ball rolling across a glass table (very short duration). Then, it ticks and ticks.

Some of the post I read said that it had something to do with the windshield wipers.

Anyone know anything about this?
Old 08-31-04, 08:00 PM
RHODY401
Rookie

My 2004 does this, and I believe its the insulation around the instruments. I can push on that area and duplicate the noise at will. It also happens when the sun hits the dash. They're supposed to fix it at my 5k checkup.
Old 08-31-04, 08:59 PM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Unhappy

I have also noticed a faint ticking (kind of) noise coming from the passenger side of the dash. However this has been intermitten, I can't narrow the timing not sure if it is the sun/heat.
The noise is annoying when it starts.
Does anyone know if this a known 2001 RX problem ?
Attached Thumbnails Ticking Sound in Dash 2001 RX300-rx330-lexus1.jpg  
Old 09-01-04, 10:41 AM
nesby
Driver School Candidate

The 'insulation' fix seems to be the most common resolution to this problem. It's unfortunate that they still haven't fixed this problem for the 330's. I really hope the dealer can fix it because it annoys the crap out of me when I'm driving.
Old 09-01-04, 11:26 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

I already had the insulation and replaced the entire dash board. It's not it.

There is something moving in there....
Old 09-01-04, 11:42 AM
nesby
Driver School Candidate

Hmmm that's discouraging. I was thinking it may have something to do with the steering column. It only ticks when the car is in motion.
Old 09-02-04, 04:01 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

I think I've located where the ticking sound is coming from. I am hearing noise from front passenger air vent below the dash board. The funny thing is, it makes that noise even with the key on the "on" position without the engine turning. It's strange...

May be I have some hidden roaches down there....

Last edited by MellonC00; 09-02-04 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-02-04, 06:00 PM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clicking noise

I have a 2001 RX300. And I have had only one clicking noise. After a little research. I found that the insulation around the sunroof was making the noise. It was intermittant. And muffled when the cover was pulled forward. It wouldnt start untill you were in motion about 10 or 15 minutes. Its caused by the tepmerature difference from the outside and the airconditioning. It sounds like a relay clicking on and off. You can duplicate it by pushing on the sunroof from the inside.

I also have noise coming from behind the glove box. With the car running. And the A/C off you can hear it. The noise sounds like a fan. It a steady noise. But the frequency of the noise varies. The best way to describe it. Is it sounds like the wheel you would find in a hamster cage. Always running. But it slows then speeds up.
Old 09-03-04, 09:18 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

See my comment - it not only ticks but also makes a sound like a medium sized steel ball rolling across a glass table (very short duration). Then, it ticks and ticks.

I think you and I have the exactly the same problem. Have you ever taken your car to the dealer for their oppinon?
Old 09-03-04, 09:59 AM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Default Clicking noise

I had the Sunroof problem fixed the first month I had the car. I havent taken it in for the glovebox noise problem. I live about 100 south of Miami. So the Lexus dealer is way out of my way. I get my service work done at the local Toyota Dealer. But they wont do my warranty work.

I will be taken it in for another problem I am having. The drivers side power window motor seems to be slowing down when it is going up. Almost to the point where it seems like it is going to stop. When I do take it in. I will have this noise looked at. Email me at Afsocwes@aol.com And I will email you when I find out something.
Old 08-08-05, 08:11 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

Did anyone ever figure out what the clicking problem was? I have a 99 RX, and its coming from the passenger side area under the glovebox towards the center console area. Its very annoying and has done it for a while. Sounds like a relay clicking away over and over... Very annoying to have a rider in your Lexus and they get to hear something like that.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 08-09-05, 09:08 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

I actually took my car in and they couldn't duplicate the problem. I guess they don't have guys who have good hearing....

I still hear it and (below the glove compartment in the front passenger side) it sucks.
Old 08-10-05, 08:20 PM
KeysRx300
Lead Lap

Default Clicking noise

I have now had my 2001 RX300 for about 16 months. And I still have the clicking noise coming from my glove box. Before my warranty ran out. I took it to the Lexus dealer. And had them look at this problem. They told me there is a component in the AC system behind the glove box. Its some kind of actuator that controls air flow. And it will cause this problem. When the AC is turned off. It will make a clicking noise. Or some times it would sound like a small fan was running.

They changed out the component. And guess what after a few months the problem came back. And its now louder.

Good luck.
Old 08-13-05, 06:34 AM
Kyosuke86
Driver

Wow, it's really quite amazing that each of us has encountered a problem like this yet find that the sound is coming from different areas of the vehicle. They should have some kind of recall on the RXs. I feel that Lexus isn't living up to its name any more. I am just disappointed in their quality now. I like Lexus and all, but if this simple problem is passed down from generation to generation then why bother getting a new one? I don't mean to sound harsh, but that's just how I feel.

Quick Reply: Ticking Sound in Dash 2001 RX300