RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Afraid to purchase another Lexus product

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-04, 10:31 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Buy a Ford next time then.
Old 08-27-04, 12:47 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

"My beef when I posted this string was about having to 'shell out' over $1,500.00 to have the airconditioner repaired when I had NOT EVER had air conditioner problems with all the other brands of vehicles I had owned since 1953. We expected Lexus to have a superior air conditioner in them and not something like you might find in a YUGO."

Dude, Lexus is a great car but in terms of HVAC equipments the Americans have it! For some odd reason, our suppliers really know how to make climate control stuff better than anyone in the world. To the japanese, the climate control doesn't really rank as number one priority. (Have you been to the Narita airport? The place was 78 degrees and everyone was walking about like it was normal. I, for one, was hot and sweaty)

At the same token, German cars have really bad audio (Bose took over radio parts some time ago - they still suck- have you checked out paper cones for speaker materials?) To them, great audio and (not to mention cup holders) and great cars don't mix.

Find a local independent guy who has access to genuine toyota parts. I never, ever, go to the dealer, unless it's for recall/ or mandatory stuff.
Old 08-27-04, 01:02 PM
RAP
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I don't get it. Are you asking us something? It doesn't seem that anything we say will convince you that a Lexus is the car for you. I don't think anyone here really cares one way or the other what car you find to be the right one for you. If you just posted that to tell us that there are better cars than Lexus, OK,thanks. One thing I've learned in life is that there is always something better. I really wish you good luck with all your cars.
Old 08-27-04, 02:53 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Unhappy Ouch!

Sorry to hear about your problems, gcrim! After shelling out some big bucks for a Lexus you would think that it would be trouble free. Unfortunately something I learned from my Dad's '57 Imperial remains true: Expensive car + complexity = greater service cost. Although the quality of the components may have improved drastically over the years, the number of critical parts has outpaced the reliability gain, leaving you with a wounded automobile in your driveway more often than you would like. I have been lucky; my RX300 consumed a set of tires, a windshield, and one O2 sensor in 65K miles, and as yet my RX330 remains trouble-free at 15K (knock wood). Neither has had a rattle or a squeak.

A/C service isn't cheap, and it's getting worse. I don't believe Toyota/Lexus - or any other manufacturer is immune to service problems, despite the Lex's premium price. I suggest you ask around to see if your friends can recommend a small independant garage in your area that works at something less than the dealer's "book rate" and will let you furnish parts. That Toyota dealer might not be a bad solution, but you might do better. Lexus parts are available online from a number of mail order outlets - including some of the "approved vendors" here on this site - for a good deal less than you may be able to get them locally.

While I'm sure $1528 seems like a lot of cash to replace a compressor, dryer, and expansion valve, even at a Toyota dealership, you may not have priced A/C service recently. Twelve years ago I replaced the compressor and dryer on my step-mom's Ciera - three times in 18 months - for unrelated problems. Each time the tab was over $1200 - at a neighborhood garage that worked on the cheap. My wife's Grand Voyager sprang a similar leak and the Dodge dealer wanted $1500+ to replace the compressor. My cheap garage replaced a hose and a couple o-rings for $150 - problem solved!

Finally, while electronic controls require something more than just the old neighborhood garage, many good small shops with an code reader and a few specialty tools do excellent work for less cost. I'm told that the market for mechanics is largely the inverse of what we see as customers. Dealerships pay mechanics very poorly and really stellar wrench twirlers drift away to the independents where they can be compensated for the efficiency and quality of their work. At least Darwin got something right!

Good luck!
Old 08-28-04, 10:53 AM
ColeRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're so unhappy with Toyota/Lexus then why don't you just sell them and buy a Ford or GM car that you've had so much more joy with?

Its unfortunate that you've had such bad luck with your Toy/Lex cars but you just happened to be the guy who got a bad Toyota AND a bad Lexus. Maybe you should take that as a sign and stick to Ford and GM.

Personally I know too many people that have had problems with their Ford or GM car. Too many recalls also.

Toyota/Lexus has earned a reputation for reliable and quality cars but they aren't perfect. Neither are the other premium luxury brands. Just look at the Mercedes, BMW and Volvo bulletin boards and you'll see much more complaining over there. Imagine spending 25-30% more for one of these vehicles and then having problems.

GCRIM, life is too short to be unhappy with your cars. Get rid of the Lexus and Toyota and buy the Ford or GM. That's what this country is about....FREEDOM! Freedom to choose whatever car makes you happiest and satisfied. Good luck!

Cole
Old 08-30-04, 05:08 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally posted by ColeRX
If you're so unhappy with Toyota/Lexus then why don't you just sell them and buy a Ford or GM car that you've had so much more joy with?

Its unfortunate that you've had such bad luck with your Toy/Lex cars but you just happened to be the guy who got a bad Toyota AND a bad Lexus. Maybe you should take that as a sign and stick to Ford and GM.

Personally I know too many people that have had problems with their Ford or GM car. Too many recalls also.

Toyota/Lexus has earned a reputation for reliable and quality cars but they aren't perfect. Neither are the other premium luxury brands. Just look at the Mercedes, BMW and Volvo bulletin boards and you'll see much more complaining over there. Imagine spending 25-30% more for one of these vehicles and then having problems.

GCRIM, life is too short to be unhappy with your cars. Get rid of the Lexus and Toyota and buy the Ford or GM. That's what this country is about....FREEDOM! Freedom to choose whatever car makes you happiest and satisfied. Good luck!

Cole
I have a 99 GS300 with 106k miles and the AC is still cold as hell. My 2001 S500 ( with only 10k miles) AC is not even that cold at 55 degrees. My friend's 2004 Yukon has his first transmission problem at 5k miles.

It's unfortunate that you happen to have a bad apple out of the whole bunch. If they're that much trouble, sell them and get something that will make you . Heck, if my Lexus is giving me headaches, I'd get another car (another Lexus or Toyota at most). Good Luck
Old 08-30-04, 08:35 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by GS3Tek
I have a 99 GS300 with 106k miles and the AC is still cold as hell.
I always thought hell is a little warm.
Old 08-31-04, 09:25 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally posted by HarrierAWD
I always thought hell is a little warm.
Good point! Wrong play of word

How about, "Cold as...ice?"
Old 08-31-04, 02:49 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Better. I've never been to Hell and don't plan on going there.
Old 03-06-15, 08:46 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had 3 Ford/Lincolns in my life and none of them gave me any trouble. I never owned each more than 2 years though. I'm on my 4th Lexus and can't imagine buying anything else. They are not the cheapest cars to maintain but they are the cheapest or pretty darn close to cheapest cars in their respective classes. For me, it's German cars that are poisonous. Even under warranty I hated owning them. If you really want a Ford, what's the problem? You can buy one today!
Old 03-06-15, 09:39 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by rudyH
I've had 3 Ford/Lincolns in my life and none of them gave me any trouble. I never owned each more than 2 years though. I'm on my 4th Lexus and can't imagine buying anything else. They are not the cheapest cars to maintain but they are the cheapest or pretty darn close to cheapest cars in their respective classes. For me, it's German cars that are poisonous. Even under warranty I hated owning them. If you really want a Ford, what's the problem? You can buy one today!

wow 11 year old thread bump! I agree with you with the German cars, with my experience with Audi and BMW, they single handedly are the most costly to maintain. Don't get me started about the rest of my extended family's experience with VW...complete POS in build quality and expense to repeatedly address recurring known problems.

Our 3 Lexus..Lexi? hands down have had very minor normal maintenance costs associated with them. Most of the wear and tear items are easy enough to DIY.
Old 03-06-15, 10:34 AM
Baetke
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

My wife and I have owned 3 Lexus that we purchased brand new and also count ourselves among those who will never buy another Lexus, not because we don't love the cars, but because we hate getting ripped off by the service department. Their high repair costs are what drove me to become a DIY'er and once I did I realized two things, 1) they grossly overcharge for both parts and service, and 2) they repeatedly charged me for repairs for damage caused by their mechanics. If I ever have to buy another car I will consider Toyota first, then Honda but unless I win the lottery and don't care about the money, Lexus is no longer a contender.
Still driving my 99RX with 160K miles and almost as many rattles :-).
Old 03-06-15, 10:55 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
wow 11 year old thread bump! I agree with you with the German cars, with my experience with Audi and BMW, they single handedly are the most costly to maintain. Don't get me started about the rest of my extended family's experience with VW...complete POS in build quality and expense to repeatedly address recurring known problems.

Our 3 Lexus..Lexi? hands down have had very minor normal maintenance costs associated with them. Most of the wear and tear items are easy enough to DIY.
Well, I just found this while searching the forum. The past 2 weeks, I bought a new BMW motorcycle and a 123k Lexus SC430 (to go with my 2010 HS250) and within hours of buying each, I had half a dozen people telling me Lexus was all hype and I should have bought a Cadillac and a Honda. Now Honda's are great, but I'm on my 10th BMW motorcycle so I guess I like them. As far as Cadillac, I'd love to buy an American car. All they have to do is make a desirable reliable one. What Cad convertible should I have bought? An XLR? No way. Anyway, I'm not angry about it but curious what others thought.
Old 03-06-15, 12:54 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Originally Posted by Baetke
My wife and I have owned 3 Lexus that we purchased brand new and also count ourselves among those who will never buy another Lexus, not because we don't love the cars, but because we hate getting ripped off by the service department. Their high repair costs are what drove me to become a DIY'er and once I did I realized two things, 1) they grossly overcharge for both parts and service, and 2) they repeatedly charged me for repairs for damage caused by their mechanics. If I ever have to buy another car I will consider Toyota first, then Honda but unless I win the lottery and don't care about the money, Lexus is no longer a contender.
Still driving my 99RX with 160K miles and almost as many rattles :-).
You can call it the "high end label tax"...my neighbor's with their Acura MDX's complain about the same thing and were shocked to find out the markup for parts on their vehicle compared to identical replacement parts on other Honda's. Furthermore, the joke around the Porsche forums is that the 911 is just another Volkswagen but pay the premium price...which to an extent it really is.
Not all service departments are that way, it depends on the area.

Our local Toyota dealership service manager offered to do service on my RX at the Toyota service rate. Most others will not touch it because of the Lexus badging.
Old 03-06-15, 12:59 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Originally Posted by rudyH
Well, I just found this while searching the forum. The past 2 weeks, I bought a new BMW motorcycle and a 123k Lexus SC430 (to go with my 2010 HS250) and within hours of buying each, I had half a dozen people telling me Lexus was all hype and I should have bought a Cadillac and a Honda. Now Honda's are great, but I'm on my 10th BMW motorcycle so I guess I like them. As far as Cadillac, I'd love to buy an American car. All they have to do is make a desirable reliable one. What Cad convertible should I have bought? An XLR? No way. Anyway, I'm not angry about it but curious what others thought.
Congrats on the BMW motorcycle purchase. I assume they are less temperamental than their cars.
I have several old college friends who are BMW motorcycle enthusiasts that claim you cannot find a better touring bike.

Quick Reply: Afraid to purchase another Lexus product