RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Lights flash with remote entry?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-04, 04:31 PM
mailrail
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lights flash with remote entry?

After an exhaustive search for a thread pertaining to this, I gave up when I didn't find the correct answer.

My 2000 RX 300's lights don't flash when lock/unlock with the remote. According to the manual, this feature can be enabled/disabled. Anyone know how to do this? After my RX being at the dealer for the entire past week getting its engine de-sludged, I don't want to take it back for a while. Someone's help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 08-16-04, 07:37 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When the manual says the feature can be enabled/disabled, it's what Lexus refers to as a Customizable Body Electronics System setting, or C-BEST.

Just about all C-BEST changes need to be done by the dealer. Their computerized diagnostic tool also gives them a menu for changing the C-BEST settings. It only takes a few minutes, but I can understand your reluctance to go back there right away.

There's a whole list of things that can be changed (about 4 pages in the service manual), so if you go, you might ask to see the entire list to get more than one changed in the same visit. You can also search the forum for the choices... there are probably several partial lists, and maybe a couple of full lists.
Old 08-16-04, 07:42 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default lights flashing with remote alarm set

Dealer should be able to make the changes if they are an alterable feature..

This is done via software hookup...

Off topic, sludge you say eh? I would let it ride for about 1000 km with the oil they are putting in it after doing the desludging and then switch to synthetic and stay that way.

I change mine every 4000 miles and use synthetic exclusively... synthetics won't develope sludge and are more environmentally friendly, ie: you won't be changing as frequently.. Just monitor the oil level every 1000 miles or so...

BTW I remember once when I took my keys out of the ignition and walked away from the car, the remote would not set off lights.. When I returned to the car I found the ignition did not click in the off position and as such the car though the key was still in there, not allowing me to turn the alarm on. Altho, I am sure you have eliminated this issue.

cheers,

Fern
Old 08-17-04, 04:58 AM
mailrail
Rookie

Yeah...eliminated everything except being able to make the lights flash when locking/unlocking. I was afraid maybe it was a C-BEST thing. Like I said, I've had enough of the dealer for a while.

Yeppers...sludge. Just had the car 6 weeks and went through 5 quarts of oil. I just got the car back yesterday and for all intents and purposes, have a new engine. I with you on the synthetic-thing. I went out last night a bought a 5 qt. container of Mobil 1 and will give it to the dealer to put in for me at my next FREE oil change.

Sully
Old 08-17-04, 07:16 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: lights flashing with remote alarm set

Originally posted by Fern

I change mine every 4000 miles and use synthetic exclusively... synthetics won't develope sludge and are more environmentally friendly, ie: you won't be changing as frequently.. Just monitor the oil level every 1000 miles or so...
If I may chime in....

Sludge is the sediment from combustion by-products in the oil. So if the oil (dino or syn) isn't changed at regular interval, sludge will settle and stick on engine parts. Apparently the previous owner didn't change the oil regularly. Type of oil doesn't matter.

Motor oil is recycled, refined, then back to store shelf. Therefore it is not an environmental issue as long as it is not poured down the storm drain. If you choose to use synthetic, you cannot extend change interval. Also synthetic may seep thru gasket easily, causing oil leak. It may also seep pass piston rings easily and burn in the cylinders, causing oil consumption and deposit.

Back to the topic, the lights on my RX300 occasionally don't flash, either. It doesn't bother me so I never have it checked.

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 08-17-04 at 07:30 AM.
Old 08-20-04, 08:53 PM
mhc0725
Driver

Thumbs up Synthetic Oil

Mobil 1, the way to go. Agree with previous person, synthetic doesn't mean longer intervals, just better lubrication and flow at extreme levels of hot and cold.

I think as long as you use synthetic from day one, you won't get any leaking or burn off issues. It's when you purchase an older vehicle which has ran on conventional oil and has developed more wear and larger gaps between moving parts, that switching to synthetic might causes problems. Synthetic flows better so it will go places where conventional oil can't.

I've used synthetic on my '99 RX and a '92 Integra GSR since new and have no oil lose between changes on the '99 and about 1/2 quart loss between changes for the GSR.

Anyway, back to your topic, it's CBEST at the dealer to change your light settings. I believe the setting of the options is a free thing at the dealers. As long as the system works and locks/unlocks your car, who cares if the lights flash. I would actually prefer that it not flash. Therefore if there happens to be a carjacker nearby, you don't tip them off early, but that's just me and paranoia.