RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX 300 Octane Knock

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-04, 08:30 PM
BOWTIE 3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX 300 Octane Knock

My wife's 2000 RX 300 [ 42,000 miles ] periodically gets an " Octane Knock ". I gas it up every other Thursday at the corner Shell with 89 octane. I remember the dealer telling us that 89 octane was what they fuel the cars with prior to delivery. Do we really have to use 93 octane in this car, or maybe I should try another brand. I also put a bottle of Chevron Techron in it every few months. By the way, this is the dealer that charges us for 6 quarts of oil when I take it in for service. I don't complain though because now they only charge me $8.00 for a $3.00 oil filter instead of the $12.00 they used too. When it's out of warranty I'll do it myself, using Mobil 1; like I use in my ' 01 Silverado. When I took it to the dealer for the 1st service they told me that Lexus did not recommend synthetic oil in their vehicles, so ever since then I pay for the fantom 6th quart of oil AND $6.00 for a can of OIL CONDTIONER that is added to the service bill. WHAT A COUNTRY!
Old 04-06-04, 03:07 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about your knocking problem. I have a 2002 RX300 and haven't experienced this problem. Perhaps a knock-sensor isn't working or something like that.

I notice that the California CL'ers mention dealers by name. Living in Virginia myself, I'm interested in which dealer you're describing. Could you name the dealer, or say where in Virginia you live? I've been getting my annual service at Pohanka Lexus and my 6-month service down in Florida at JM Lexus.
Old 04-06-04, 07:46 AM
ederny
Pole Position

Bow, you should not hear any knock at all. I assume you hear it when you open up the throttle. As Bob mentioned, take it to you dealer and have it checked, especially if you can clearly demonstrate it to them. COuld be a knock sensor or a related item.
Old 04-06-04, 08:00 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't wait to start using that Mobil 1, do it now and it will make a world of difference.

My dealer up in San Antonio only uses synthetic, however the Toyota dealers here south of the border only offer it as an option.
Old 04-06-04, 08:36 AM
aprairie
Driver School Candidate

My 2 cents...

I bought a 99 CPO with 35K two years ago. Within 2 months started to get engine knock with 87 and 89 octane. Back and forth with the dealer half a dozen times and was essentially given a lot of "reasons" for the knocking. Ranged from needing 92/93 octane (even though Lexus specifies 87 octane is fine) to needing to drive more aggressively to "burn the deposits on the injectors".

After much push back, the dealer finally diagnosed the real cause....engine oil gel. Dealer replaced the engine block and that problem disappeared. The other problems with my car continue, but the knock is solved. I think I got the worst car Lexus ever built.

Good luck.

Drew
Old 04-06-04, 01:35 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by aprairie
I think I got the worst car Lexus ever built.

Drew
Drew, sure sounds like it...

You should play lottery man... With your luck you can't possibly loose...

Drew,
Just out of curiousity would you ever buy Lexus again.?
Old 04-06-04, 03:35 PM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Default Re: RX 300 Octane Knock

Originally posted by BOWTIE 3
My wife's 2000 RX 300 [ 42,000 miles ] periodically gets an " Octane Knock ". I gas it up every other Thursday at the corner Shell with 89 octane. I remember the dealer telling us that 89 octane was what they fuel the cars with prior to delivery. Do we really have to use 93 octane in this car, or maybe I should try another brand. I also put a bottle of Chevron Techron in it every few months. By the way, this is the dealer that charges us for 6 quarts of oil when I take it in for service. I don't complain though because now they only charge me $8.00 for a $3.00 oil filter instead of the $12.00 they used too. When it's out of warranty I'll do it myself, using Mobil 1; like I use in my ' 01 Silverado. When I took it to the dealer for the 1st service they told me that Lexus did not recommend synthetic oil in their vehicles, so ever since then I pay for the fantom 6th quart of oil AND $6.00 for a can of OIL CONDTIONER that is added to the service bill. WHAT A COUNTRY!
Two things.

1) try super and see if it helps. If it does, problem solved. If it doesn't, back to the dealer.
2) Think about having your RX serviced at a good Toyota dealer. Our 2000 RXAWD is due for its 60,000 service. Our Lexus dealership (that I really like, BTW) wants nearly $900.00 to do the service. I'm getting the work done at a good, local Toyota dealership instead for $550.00 Since the Highlander and RX share so much componentry, I'm going to continue to have all regular maintenance done this way and only take it back to Lexus for any warranty work (I have a Lexus Gold extended warranty that I hope I never use). THe only downside is that I won't get a loaner car. Small price to pay for saving more than $300.00
Old 04-06-04, 07:46 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: RX 300 Octane Knock

Originally posted by Da Hapa

2) Think about having your RX serviced at a good Toyota dealer. Our 2000 RXAWD is due for its 60,000 service. Our Lexus dealership (that I really like, BTW) wants nearly $900.00 to do the service. I'm getting the work done at a good, local Toyota dealership instead for $550.00 Since the Highlander and RX share so much componentry, I'm going to continue to have all regular maintenance done this way and only take it back to Lexus for any warranty work (I have a Lexus Gold extended warranty that I hope I never use). THe only downside is that I won't get a loaner car. Small price to pay for saving more than $300.00
I totally agree. I had my last oil change at a Toyota dealer. It was only $30 (vs. Lexus' $92) and took only 30 minutes. I plan on doing all my services at this Toyota from now on. No loaner car, but the dealer can arrange rentals.
Old 04-06-04, 07:56 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Default Re: RX 300 Octane Knock

Originally posted by BOWTIE 3
I have been using only 87 octane since delivery. Never a knock.

I had a car that had engine knock due to carbon deposit. Chevron Techron and others didn't work, only Chemtool B-12 worked. However, unless the root cause is resolved, the carbon deposit will come back.

I would try another gas station first.
Old 04-07-04, 09:25 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

A couple of other good additives I have had expierence with are:

Auto-RX
Restore (the one for the oil, not the injection cleaner)
Neutra
Old 04-07-04, 02:03 PM
aprairie
Driver School Candidate

>>>>Drew,
>>>>Just out of curiousity would you ever buy Lexus again.?

Hey Fern,

Nope. Lack of response from the dealer and Lexus of America to do anything other than fix the problems this car has routinely experienced has left a sour taste in my mouth. Waiting until the CPO warranty runs out and will then unload.

In 2 years, I've had $25K worth of warranty work done on the vehicle.

Might as well have bought a Benz if I wanted to get to know my service department that well...

Drew
Old 04-07-04, 02:40 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Originally posted by aprairie
In 2 years, I've had $25K worth of warranty work done on the vehicle.
That's a big bill; you had to spend a lot of time at the dealer, but it's a good thing it was covered under warranty.

In my experience every car manufacturer has it's issues and Toyota is not immune. Toyota has among the lowest problems per 100 vehicles but there are still problems and some vehicles are either poorly treated by owners (not to say you, but a previous owner) or are just a bad egg.

I've almost given up on finding a dealership that really has excellent service, as most all of them advertise they do It's difficult to find the level of service we want especially when we are already put down by the car troubles. Best of luck getting things resolved and perhaps, in two years, you can sell your RX and get some cool new '06 BMW or Infiniti
Old 04-08-04, 08:03 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

LexRX,

Switched my name from Lexmexico, thought it might be cooler.

I think Lexuses are designed for perfection. In my experience, I have had small things fail on the RX and occasional noise or squeak. However, when attempting perfection, there is a higher chance for a problem.

My RX is in one of the most vicious areas for any car, Mexico City, bad roads, bad air, difficult in getting service and parts, yet I have managed.

I used to own all those other luxury vehicles, and found Lexus, although not perfect, was a big step up. Everyone I have known who has had a problem with a Lexus and ditched it, ended up having more problems with their next car.