RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

i have one complaint about my RX300.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-04, 11:43 PM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i have one complaint about my RX300.....

after 2 years of enjoyable ownership, my car still looks and feels new but besides the normal need more power complaints, the ONE thing that really annoys me its the condition of the leather. The soft nice leather was first very nice to the touch and looked creamy and white. But now, the leather have lines in the stress spots, its not cracked but starts to look used. I only condition them once in a while, but my other german cars dont have this type of problem. They are not cracked, but i think after a while, they will soon be. I wonder if dealer can warrantee the front seats. They dont look bad, but they shouldnt be part of normal wear and tear of everyday use.
Old 03-24-04, 12:00 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My '02 RX300 has the same issue. The driver side and front passenger leather seats are showing some "wrinkles." The backseat is OK because it's rarely used.

It does not look bad enough for me to worry about. If it can be covered under warranty, I may want to change out the front seats.
Old 03-24-04, 01:05 PM
thisguy_06
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

same here with the seats, the front seats in my dad's rx is starting to have the obvious creases and it's ugly. I wonder if aftermarket leather seat replacement would also be like this. i just might persuade him to get new one if the marks get worst.
Old 03-24-04, 03:36 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to say my '99 had the same issues at least as I can relate my experience to those others reported here; cracks, and flakings of the paint or coating of the leather - what is on the surface? - I bought Leatherique to help soften and protect the leather on the '03 to try to prevent normal wear affects.
Old 03-24-04, 07:41 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by derek985
Have you folks considered losing weight?
Hell NO! :-) I like being a fat lazy American. That fits the stereotype of SUV owners.
Old 03-24-04, 07:46 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by parula
I have to say my '99 had the same issues at least as I can relate my experience to those others reported here; cracks, and flakings of the paint or coating of the leather - what is on the surface? - I bought Leatherique to help soften and protect the leather on the '03 to try to prevent normal wear affects.
I had no idea that the leather was painted. No cracking or flaking for me yet. I use the Turtle Wax leather protector. It doesn't seem to do much other than making the seats slippery, and creating certain bowel movement sound when I move about in my seat.
Old 03-25-04, 06:39 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harrier,

I took your advice a little over a month ago to use that the Turtle Wax product. Found it at a local supermarket, and WOW what difference. Looks and even smells new. Then, again, my RX really wasn't as clean inside.
Old 03-25-04, 08:55 AM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

My one complaint is the poor turning radius on the RX300. I haven't notice the wear issue on the seats, but then again, we've only had our RX for exactly one year to this day.
Old 03-25-04, 11:06 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

the leather from my '00 model was actually torn without doing anything substantial. I have an '01 now and bought the sheepskin seatcover for it. I used the one from sheepskin.com for $50. You don't have to get the expensive one because the base model for cars with side airbags fit RX just fine. Hope this helps.

Last edited by MellonC00; 03-25-04 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-25-04, 11:36 AM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Our '02 with 26K miles still looks new, so no complaint there.

I agree with RX300-BV, the turning radius just SUCKS.

But my biggest problem with the RX is that i see them EVERYWHERE! I guess a car this good means lots of people like driving them. I like driving my GS and not seeing one often.
Old 03-25-04, 12:29 PM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

theanimala, YOU SEE THEM EVERYWHERE?

I see them nowhere. Since I have lived in Mexico City, I have only seen two RX300s. One when I was driving down, a Silversport from Texas with a Tourist Permit on it.

I know of one friend with one in Guajalajara. She and I both get looks at the car like it was a Ferrari.

I ain't complaining.
Old 03-25-04, 09:58 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Lexmexico
Harrier,

I took your advice a little over a month ago to use that the Turtle Wax product. Found it at a local supermarket, and WOW what difference. Looks and even smells new. Then, again, my RX really wasn't as clean inside.
Glad you like it. I must admit that my leather seats still look and *smell* like new as well, other than the wrinkles. My RX is garage-kept, and I always try to face north when parking outside to avoid the sun. Maybe that helps, too.

I bought the Turtle Wax leather conditioner because it was the cheapest on the shelf. :-) Other brands wanted twice the money for smaller bottles. After 2 years (6 applications) I still have more than half left.

Wonder if anyone's been able to sweet-talk Lexus dealer into swapping those wrinkled seats?
Old 03-26-04, 02:20 AM
JohnsRX
Lead Lap

hmmm....i think i should complain to my dealer about it then, because my leather aint cracked but wrinkles are evident. Check out any German car and their seats dont wrinkle as early. Since u said urs smell and feel like new, im gonna talk to my dealer about it.
My car NEVER sees the sun unless im driving it, its garage kept and i almost always park it in a underground parking lot, i even have front windshield tint along with side limo tint, so UV isnt whats causing this. Its the stress points, and im actually skinny i think, so it isnt weight problem thats casuing this.
I use the Zymol leather lotion for my seats once in a while, it looks good for 2 weeks and i guess with all the butt rubbing, the wrinkles become evident again, i'll try to take a picture for u guys next week.

Originally posted by HarrierAWD
Glad you like it. I must admit that my leather seats still look and *smell* like new as well, other than the wrinkles. My RX is garage-kept, and I always try to face north when parking outside to avoid the sun. Maybe that helps, too.....
Old 03-26-04, 05:44 AM
RickC
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think that is the basic nature of leather. Although I can't explain why the BMW's don't do that except maybe the quality of the leather. My truck also has leather and it is doing it too. However, most of the damage was done prior to me buying it. I haven't really notice it getting worse, and I have had the truck for two years, but only put 13k miles on it in those two years. I use Zaino Leather treatment. It even smells like leather when you pour it on a towel.

RickC
Old 03-26-04, 08:47 AM
Philly#1 Lex
Lead Lap

Does leatherseats.com make a kit for the rx or anyone for that matter?

Philly

Quick Reply: i have one complaint about my RX300.....