RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

vibration at idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-10, 03:33 AM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this Engine Vibration....I killed it with replacing all the motor mounts. The wishbone on top, rear motor mount, front motor mount(with the rubber thing on top), front shock absorber, and the transmission mount....best part.....I only paid $60 for labor to do it!!!
Old 03-05-10, 02:30 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I solved my vibration problem years ago by putting premium fuel in it.
Old 05-27-10, 04:43 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

I have heard that Techron can also be helpful.
Old 04-15-11, 11:27 AM
gsenthil
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone report back on what solved it for them? What are the part numbers for the engine/transmission mount? I have a feeling it is NOT the engine mount because the problem goes away when in N or when I take my foot off the brakes. Perhaps I should try changing the transmission mount like John did. Which wishbone did you change John?
Old 04-15-11, 01:00 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not had that problem, maybe they fixed it, I got one of the last ones made I think ~2003, mechanically the vehicle is perfect so far and I'm loving it, downside is a loud dash rattle, ouch can't even think what'd cost to fix that. Sorry for thread hijack.

Last edited by parula; 04-16-11 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-08-11, 05:08 PM
sienlee
Driver School Candidate

Hi all. I am new. from Feb. 2010, being an owner of
2000 Lexus Rx300 158k.

I got this symptom for about a year. Anyone made an adjustment to TPS sensor located behind the TB?

Last edited by sienlee; 09-08-11 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-09-11, 07:07 PM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I have 65k on my RX and I also feel a small vibration in neutral. Doesn't bother me. I use premium gas and I live in florida. Motor mounts are good.
Old 01-15-12, 07:45 AM
mowykat
Driver School Candidate

Will the vacuum switching valve cause the vibration problem? It's located in front of hydraulic engine mount with vacuum hose attached. I found out my one has ticking noise while holding brake in "D" drive. Is that normal or I got a faulty switch? Any advice?
Old 06-10-13, 01:41 AM
goosemac
Driver School Candidate

Is there a DIY for replacing the engine mount? My car vibrates in drive to the point its really annoying and I always drop it in neutral when at a light. Is it easy to do?

Last edited by goosemac; 06-10-13 at 01:44 AM.
Old 12-18-13, 10:17 AM
mdsp33d
Driver School Candidate

Default low idle vibration solution

I have been having the low idle vibration in D at stop lights in cold weather and also in warm weather.
i cleaned the VVT solenoids and their filters. yet at stoplights the shaking begins. i did notice the idle drops to 700 rpm rather than 750 rpm est. so today i took the intake apart to the throttle body. between the septum of the throttle body there is a idle adjustment set screw on the bottom of the throttle body by the IAC (which i replaced last year due to bad coil and "juice" coming out) using a pair of pliers and an allen wench to screw it in 3-4 turns which moved the idle to 2500 rpm. backed it off 1-2 turns gave me 1000 rpm at idle and 850 rpm in drive. no more vibration. this works if when you vibrate if you touch the gas and it stops for the moment.
Old 12-20-13, 06:04 PM
shumif1
Driver School Candidate

i had a 1999 rx300 and changed all the mounts and still had the same problem. i now have a 2001 rx300 and same vibration.
Old 02-05-14, 04:27 PM
shumif1
Driver School Candidate

i read somewhere that lexus knows about the vibration and tried to correct it in the 2nd generation but was not 100%. It is in the exhaust, i believe it is in the resonator muffler.
Old 03-10-16, 12:40 AM
Australian
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I am going to solve this same problem with my car next few days.
It is actually going to be one of two things One a transmission sensor and or the air idle control valve.

Engine out of gear all no problems under load of transmission is the problem.
On cold no power uphill till computer lets it sucks some air.

I had transmission failure at same time I just serviced transmission from a stand still break down and reving no gears engaging. I changed filter new oil but didn't have new sensors so swapped around old and got it rolling again. Car shakes on low idle but not always depends on braking speed etc on how low engine allows.

My thoughts are perhaps air filter actually the control valve failiing or sensors on transmission just sending odd info. I will post my results when I fix this on Sunday. I really think it has to do with computer compensating for lack of air. I have had same problem low idle in gear in past and fixed it.
Old 03-10-16, 06:05 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Australian
I am going to solve this same problem with my car next few days.
It is actually going to be one of two things One a transmission sensor and or the air idle control valve.

Engine out of gear all no problems under load of transmission is the problem.
On cold no power uphill till computer lets it sucks some air.

I had transmission failure at same time I just serviced transmission from a stand still break down and reving no gears engaging. I changed filter new oil but didn't have new sensors so swapped around old and got it rolling again. Car shakes on low idle but not always depends on braking speed etc on how low engine allows.

My thoughts are perhaps air filter actually the control valve failiing or sensors on transmission just sending odd info. I will post my results when I fix this on Sunday. I really think it has to do with computer compensating for lack of air. I have had same problem low idle in gear in past and fixed it.
Keep us in the loop. I dont believe it is the IACV but i think you are on to something the with transmission sensor.

I've done some research on possible causes of vibration at idle on AT cars and the description of a turbine speed sensor best fits the issue for torque converter clutch slippage/control.

-The Turbine Shaft Sensor measures the input shaft speed of the automatic transmission. The electronic transmission control module uses the information provided by the TSS to determine the amount of torque converter clutch slippage. If it fails it usually produces an automatic transmission fault code.

I'm still not clear on the extent of functionality of the transmission sensors provided on the RX as other manufacturers approach automatic transmission sensor inputs differently.

Here is an interesting link that outlines possible electrical problems with AT transmissions but not all listed can be applied to the vibration at idle problem http://www.toptransmissions.com/electrical-sensors
Old 03-10-16, 06:24 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

You can perform some more tests.

Turn the AC off and be on a flat surface. Apply brakes and put it in D and then gently back off the foot pressure on the brake pedal. Try to get to the soft spot where the toque converter just about wins. You should feel the thong engage smoothly.

Salim

Quick Reply: vibration at idle problem