RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

vibration at idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-07, 09:31 PM
jazba
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
mine is still under warranty.....CPO
Did Lexus ever get back to you?
Old 02-18-07, 10:22 AM
Erik3564
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chikoo
Has anyone changed the engine mount and got rid of the idle problem?

My other car is a 2003 Mazda6 and it is smoother at idle than my 01 Lexus RX300.

The resonating booming sound at idle coupled with the vibration is a deal breaker for me and I end up driving my Mazda6 more than the RX300.

I would certainly like to know if replacing the engine mount solves the issue. If it does, then I will get it done.
I change all my motor mount, problem not fix. I'm going crazy with this problem. Did you fix yours, let me know what it is. Thank you.
Old 02-18-07, 10:23 AM
Erik3564
Driver School Candidate

Did you get the problem fix? I you did, let me know what they done to get it fixed.
Old 02-18-07, 10:24 AM
Erik3564
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by arey kya
Did Lexus ever get back to you?
Did you get that fix yet? Let me know what was done so I can fix my. Thankyou!
Old 02-18-07, 05:40 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My vibration goes away when I use premium fuel (higher octane)

Old 02-20-07, 08:15 AM
Erik3564
Driver School Candidate

This is just a thought, with the RX300 Vibration while idle in drive. Mine got worst in these few days due to the weather got very cold. When I inspect mine, it seem like the engine vibration is transmitted from the drive line through the strut and into the cabin. And because of the design of the cabin, the vibration got resonated. How about try it with changing all the strut mounts, may be it will help. That explained the humming nosie can only hear inside the car but not outside. I don't think idle speed of the engine have too much to do with it because my idle speed is normal and smooth. I changed all the motor mounts before but no fix. If raise up the vechicle by leaving the car in drive and nosie goes away. Change the strut mount try. Let me know if any of you get that fix.
Old 02-21-07, 07:18 PM
wing0
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it has been pretty cold in Toronto for the past month and I really noticed this vibration now...
Even my civic doesn't vibrate like this lol...
Old 02-22-07, 05:05 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Folks,

2 words

Higher Octane.

Try it before complaining...

See if it doesn't improve the engine smoothness (no vibration) and even the noise level at idle of the engine.
Old 02-22-07, 07:51 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

We have good gas (the now ultra low sulfur Premium) 92 octane and bad gas (the high sulfur Magna or regular gas) 87 octane and I can tell you having run vehicles on both (including my RX300 in a few situations out in the boonies) that "shake, rattle and roll" is quite noticeable.

Also keep in mind cold weather contracts materials, while heat expands.
Old 02-26-07, 10:30 AM
chenxingha
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Dashboard transmission gear indicator - 2000 RX300

I bought the vehicle on the 20th and am working on a few small fixes before taking it to the NYS inspection. The transmission gear indicator in the instrument cluster/panel does not lite up when in the Drive gear - all other indicators, P, R, N, etc. do light up.

I am wondering if this is by design or the bulb for the Drive indicator has burned out - replacing the bulb can be some hassle.
Old 02-26-07, 11:22 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chenxingha
I bought the vehicle on the 20th and am working on a few small fixes before taking it to the NYS inspection. The transmission gear indicator in the instrument cluster/panel does not lite up when in the Drive gear - all other indicators, P, R, N, etc. do light up.

I am wondering if this is by design or the bulb for the Drive indicator has burned out - replacing the bulb can be some hassle.
pretty much every RX300 ever made has the D light out. It will cost you $5 to replace and 30 minutes of your time.

I once put gas from Mexico into my Honda Accord, holy cow it rattled and acceleration was non-existant. Try some better gas.
Old 03-04-07, 03:04 AM
Erik3564
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chenxingha

Hi:
The light bulb burnt out, you just have to replace it. You can get the bulb from the dealer. After market one don't fit probably.
Old 03-04-07, 04:08 PM
wishihad1
Rookie

your not going to like this, but the noise is normal. to help reduce this, check your rear hatch seal. i know sounds weird, when the noise is occuring have someone crack the tailgate, noise should change.
Old 03-07-07, 08:32 AM
anulex
Pole Position

I noticed the wicked vibration and hence the reason for my signing to Clublexus today. and Low and behold i c the topic right here. I was about to start a new one. I just did my service, which was suppose to include a transmission fluid change. I wonder if that is the issue. Would wrong fluid cause a cause that vibration. I also notice that the idle is low and when i put the car in N the idle smooths out for a little to about 860 rpm, then drops to about 700rpm and the vibration is a killer. Its it isnt rough just annoying. My friend says she likes to feel it. hahaha. I spoke to my Mechanic he told me to wait until it warms up and see it the problem goes away. If it does not, he will reset the idle with his pc so it idles higher. He says rx300 is suppose to be at 860rpm at idle. During this freezing weather it has not been. He doesnt want to change it now its cold and then have to reset it when the weather gets warm again.
Old 03-12-07, 09:20 AM
anulex
Pole Position

Weather's warm, vibration is GONE

Quick Reply: vibration at idle problem