RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

vibration at idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-06, 12:45 AM
Bercasio
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted a recent thread with the similar problem with my RX3. Me and a Lexus mechanic spent hours checking out all the possible mounts linked to the engine, drivetrain, and exhaust system and came up with negative results as they are all in great shape. So at this point I figure out that maybe the AWD system has something to do with it while idling @ drive or even any other gear for that matter sometimes even in "park" mode, except neutral. The people on this thread with the same problem, do you have FWD or AWD? I have AWD on my ride, and if it happens to all AWD suvs and no probelms with the FWD. Does our AWD system run full time? If so, maybe it could be the AWD gears putting a suttle force from the engine going foward while idling in drive gear, giving a bit of drop on the rpm levels(at the most 100-200 rpm drop) kinda like doing a "Brake stance" but without the spin/smoking tires. Therefore adding a slight strain on the engine and creating a "drone" like vibration in the cabin...I maybe far in left field on this one, but I am just trying to figure out this in the most possible technical manner, since we don't have any concrete solution.....
Old 02-01-06, 08:39 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have FWD and I get the "drone" alongwith the vibration and it really makes me sick as I start getting a headache due to the drone.

It looks to me like Lexus is only padding up the interior and charging exorbitantly for it, but it's drivetrain is no better than any of the other japanese counterparts........coupled with the fact that it has a user base that is not as discerning asbout such matters.....

For me this is unacceptable quality.

Last edited by chikoo; 02-01-06 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-01-06, 10:55 AM
kimmy
Driver School Candidate

I also have an AWD. My car has been having the same problem. I have visited the dealer many times but at the end they could not fix the problem. they just keep replacing parts of the muffler. I really do not think that they care if it gets fixed or not. I realized that if they do not know how the correct a problem, they will tell you that that is the way the car is suppose to be. I think we should all do something to let lexus know we are not going to get ignored. we as consumers have a right to a quality car. Why should we figure out what is wrong with the car ? that is their job.
Old 02-01-06, 11:21 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

we need to figure out because we drive it daily and are subject to the pain and need to find a comforting solution.

turning up the volume on the stereo not being one of them.
Old 02-01-06, 01:52 PM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ours is AWD.

I suspect that the issue that I have when I started this thread is different than some of yours.

My vibration only occurs when I'm stopped at a stoplilght and in drive. It's a very minor annoyance and nothing more. The vibration disappears the second I shift into neutral or park and that's what leads me to believe that it is not the engine mounts.

It does not occur when I'm actually driving.
Old 02-01-06, 04:57 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

My issue is exactly like yours and mine is not AWD. This is not a minor annoyance. This approach of lexus buyers towards problems is probably what makes companies like Lexus get best ratings in JDPowers and the like.

My first car, a $14000 car was smoother at idle till it was totalled at 80,000 miles. This rx300 has only 46000 miles, cost 3 times as much and still vibrates at idle when in D, and more when the AC clutch engages. I do suspect that the mounts are busted, like others have also indicated. I am taking it in and see what the dealer/service advisor thinks about it.
Old 02-01-06, 07:15 PM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chikoo
My issue is exactly like yours and mine is not AWD. This is not a minor annoyance. This approach of lexus buyers towards problems is probably what makes companies like Lexus get best ratings in JDPowers and the like.

My first car, a $14000 car was smoother at idle till it was totalled at 80,000 miles. This rx300 has only 46000 miles, cost 3 times as much and still vibrates at idle when in D, and more when the AC clutch engages. I do suspect that the mounts are busted, like others have also indicated. I am taking it in and see what the dealer/service advisor thinks about it.
No offense but take an anger pill... jeez. No need to get hostile and start taking jabs at Lexus owners.

I only stated that to me this is a minor annoyance. And yes, on a 6-year old car with nearly 85,000 miles a minor vibration that completely goes away when I put the car in neutral or start driving is only slightly annoying to me. But that's just me an opinions differ.

If your vehicle's vibration goes away when you put it into N, it is not the motor mounts.
Old 02-01-06, 09:24 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I went to out tonight to go pick something up. As usual this time of year in Mexico City, it was in the 40s. I noticed the car would vibrate slightly, but while driving it yesterday during the day, absolutely nothing.
Old 02-01-06, 09:31 PM
jazba
Rookie

I have the same problem. Vibration while in D, put it in N and it goes away.

I took my car in to get this checked out and they said nothing was wrong! now my car is out of warranty by a few hundred miles.

So many, if not all rx300 drivers are having this issue. Is there anyway to notify lexus corporate about this and have it fixed once and for all?
Old 02-02-06, 08:06 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
No offense but take an anger pill... jeez. No need to get hostile and start taking jabs at Lexus owners.

I only stated that to me this is a minor annoyance. And yes, on a 6-year old car with nearly 85,000 miles a minor vibration that completely goes away when I put the car in neutral or start driving is only slightly annoying to me. But that's just me an opinions differ.

If your vehicle's vibration goes away when you put it into N, it is not the motor mounts.
I was venting Da Hapa.....makes me more mad when there is no known/publicized solution for an annoyance.

Normal Temp (60F and more)
N -> minimal vibration
D -> good enough vibration
D + A/C -> steering vibrates, and so does my seat

Temp are cold (below 50F)
D + A/C -> steering vibrates, and so does my seat, even more with a drone. Is it diesel engine?
Old 02-02-06, 08:46 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

I am scouring through the technology used in the RX300 and this one (or the failure of it) appears to be the cause of the engine vibrations at idle speed:

To assure the smoothest operation, a new active engine mount cancels idle vibration and is controlled directly by each combustion stroke of the engine. A solenoid-controlled diaphragm creates pulses which are equal but opposite to the engine's movements to counteract vibrations. The fully active engine mount is a first in the industry
http://www.autoworld.com/RX300.htm

Can you imagine what would happen if this pulse was out of phase i.e. instead of counteracting, it is complementing the engine vibrations?

and visually you would have no clue if it has failed. which is what the service tech. will do the first time you take it in. they will perform a visual check. Do they even know what they are looking for as a sign of failure visually in a computer controlled active engine mount?
The following users liked this post:
bryceis250 (12-18-20)
Old 02-02-06, 12:20 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think I remember that engine mount being operated by crankcase pressure. Try disconnecting the hose to the engine mount, and see if you can detect a difference. If you search the RX forums for "engine mount" and "active", you may find some answers. There is a TSB on this mount, EG003-99 JUN 99, according to the FAQ section on the RX 300. See www.alldata.com, or your dealer.
Old 02-03-06, 10:02 PM
jazba
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lil4X
I think I remember that engine mount being operated by crankcase pressure. Try disconnecting the hose to the engine mount, and see if you can detect a difference. If you search the RX forums for "engine mount" and "active", you may find some answers. There is a TSB on this mount, EG003-99 JUN 99, according to the FAQ section on the RX 300. See www.alldata.com, or your dealer.

i have an 01 that i just looked up the TSBs for. It doesnt have this though and i definetly have the problem.

off the subject a little but, how to TSBs work. Can you take your car in after warranty is over or what.
Old 02-04-06, 07:23 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

TSB is nothing more than a "procedure" document for the service technician to address a specific issue i.e. addendum to the service manual.
Old 02-07-06, 02:50 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

got a call from the Dealer that he has fixed the idle vibration. Neat.
Now I will have to find out if he has really fixed it or just b/s !!!

Quick Reply: vibration at idle problem