RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Traction Control on RX300

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-03, 09:18 AM
sashka
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction Control on RX300

I'm considering purchasing an out-of-lease 2001 RX300. I'd like to have traction control option to ride on snow more safely. However, a used car Lexus dealer in our town told me that traction control on RX300 is not available (which I found hard to believe) while stability control is standard. Could anybody tell me what the truth is?

The owners of RX300 equipped with traction control: please share your impressions. Does it or not work well? In addition, I've read that traction control on Toyota Highlander cannot be turned off and makes an annoying beeping sound each time it kicks in. Is it the same on Lexus?

Many thanks!
Old 10-27-03, 09:41 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

sashka, VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) took the place of the older TRAC system that Lexus offered in the 90s. TRAC only worked to prevent rear wheelspin, whereas VSC reacts to loss of traction from any/all of the 4 wheels, providing not only traction control but some degree of skid control by selectively braking one or more wheel(s) and cutting engine power.

I'll have to let one of the owners with a newer RX than mine answer the question as to whether or not VSC can be turned off in the newer RX; it CAN be turned off in my GS.
Old 10-27-03, 04:02 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 2003 has both VSC and a Trac button.

Trac controls the drive wheel traction balance I think, VSC multi-function driving control.
Old 10-27-03, 05:05 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Trac is only for 2wd. Not required on AWD.
Old 10-27-03, 08:50 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In a sense your dealer is right. Traction control is only available on the FWD version. Lexus does not sell FWD RX300 in the snow belt unless you special order.

For 2001 and on, the VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) option became standard equipment on AWD RX300. Look for the VSC badge on the front doors.
Old 11-12-03, 10:38 PM
Gaith
Driver School Candidate

Talking Traction Control

Hi
I have a 2002 RX300 AWD with Traction Control, Where I live it's not needed (but I got it any way, I did not have an option) so I never tried it.

Good luck
Old 11-13-03, 02:52 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Traction Control

Originally posted by Gaith
Hi
I have a 2002 RX300 AWD with Traction Control, Where I live it's not needed (but I got it any way, I did not have an option) so I never tried it.

Good luck

Either you have an AWD with VSC, or a FWD with TC. Again it's impossible to have AWD with TC.

Take a look at the blank space next to the front cigarette lighter. It's the space for the TC off switch, only available on the FWD model.
Old 11-13-03, 10:19 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

wait a minute. I have a 1999 AWD. does this mean I have VSC or TRAC?
Old 11-14-03, 06:41 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 99, so you must have TRAC, ECT and SNOW modes.
Old 11-14-03, 01:19 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

VSCsc400, TRAC wasn't available on the 99 AWD; what you could get was the optional limited slip diff for the rear wheels. You do have, of course, SNOW, POWER, and normal (center position on the switch) modes for trans an throttle mapping.
Old 11-14-03, 09:47 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

99 FWD had optional Trac control. I opted for it as I did not want/need AWD.

Trac works by applying brake to the (front ... FWD) wheel which has lost traction (spinning at a higher rate). The engine power is thus trasmitted to the wheel which has grip.

It turned out that track sytem turned out to be better mechanism than AWD system till vsc came out.
Salim
Old 11-15-03, 05:23 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

It turned out that track sytem turned out to be better mechanism than AWD system till vsc came out.
Salim, your info has always been pertinent and your opinions well thought out, so I'm curious as to the rationale for the above statement. Even if you credit (banned) WWest's statements/explanations regarding the AWD system, I found that, at least with the optional LSD, wifey's RX would go UP anything that I would also consider going back DOWN when the weather was icy/snowy. And that was true with both the Goodyear Flacciditys as well as the CTXs.

Bottom line: I always had at least 3 driven wheels vs 1. Can you clarify???

Dr Tom
Old 11-16-03, 12:09 AM
Gaith
Driver School Candidate

Red face Re: Re: Traction Control

Originally posted by HarrierAWD
Either you have an AWD with VSC, or a FWD with TC. Again it's impossible to have AWD with TC.

Take a look at the blank space next to the front cigarette lighter. It's the space for the TC off switch, only available on the FWD model.
You are absolutely right my car have the VSC but no Traction Control
Thank you

Last edited by Gaith; 11-16-03 at 12:10 AM.
Old 11-16-03, 06:26 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally posted by mooretorque
Salim, your info has always been pertinent and your opinions well thought out, so I'm curious as to the rationale for the above statement. Even if you credit (banned) WWest's statements/explanations regarding the AWD system, I found that, at least with the optional LSD, wifey's RX would go UP anything that I would also consider going back DOWN when the weather was icy/snowy. And that was true with both the Goodyear Flacciditys as well as the CTXs.

Bottom line: I always had at least 3 driven wheels vs 1. Can you clarify???

Dr Tom
Competitors set up a scenario where they showed the weak point of 99RX awd setup. Essentially they had no traction on one side (both front and back). The awd did not perform well and theretically the TRAC would have been successful.

Sorry I dont have much info on LSD. was that available then? Clearly 3 wheels driven are better than 1.
Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 11-16-03 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-17-03, 11:13 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Talking

Now that you've jogged my memory, I do remember that scenario.

Yes, the mechanical LSD was available from inception. Ours was/is a fairly early car (5/98 purchase) and, knowing that otherwise the car had 2 open diffs, I ordered the car with LSD.

Thanks for taking me down memory lane!!

Quick Reply: Traction Control on RX300