RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2015 AWD with Nav vs 2016 FWD no nav

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-17, 07:26 PM
shkl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 AWD with Nav vs 2016 FWD no nav

Both are around the same price, which one should I buy? I have a 2008 RX 350 too which I will keep.

What's so good about the 2016 apart from the looks...new owners please weigh in. Thanks a lot for all the input!
Old 03-25-17, 07:10 AM
Curryolla
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Let's start with obvious, the 16RX looks so much cooler, but looks are subjective and many people feel the 15RX looks classier.

With that out of the way, the biggest think I like about the 15RX is that it is 187 inches long compared to the 16RX which 192.5 inches long. In other words, the 15RX feels a little more "manageable". With respect to technology, I don't what each car has but I'd pick which ever has the better safety technology. Remember the 15RX never had LDA and the PCS did not work as well. Also, Fuel Economy. The 16RX got a minor bump (18/25 compared to 20/28) and since you are comparing AWD vs FWD, the MPG difference is a little bigger. I noticed you live in Michigan and AWD would be very important. Another important bit, see what car is in better condition! I'd rather have a really clean 15RX than a 16RX with scratches, dents, filthy interior. Lastly, driving dynamics. Both are tuned for comfort, but the 16RX holds the road a little better. Admitted I've only test driven a '13 RX350 and '10 RX450h for the fun of it.

In the end, it's up to you. Let us know what you pick!
The following users liked this post:
shkl (03-25-17)
Old 03-25-17, 07:33 AM
shkl
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much! I just spoke to the dealer and the 2016 version doesn't have any safety features. I've always driven cars with navigation too.
Anyways, heading to the dealer now to test drive both and take it from there. I love this community, so much help
Old 03-25-17, 08:41 AM
Curryolla
Driver

Originally Posted by shkl
Thank you so much! I just spoke to the dealer and the 2016 version doesn't have any safety features. I've always driven cars with navigation too.
Anyways, heading to the dealer now to test drive both and take it from there. I love this community, so much help
That's surprising! I'm curious to know if both have at least BSM. I don't think the nav is such a big deal since you can always get a good Garmin system. I'd try negotiating hard on the 15RX. Ask them to include the latest navigation map update! Do both have ventilated seats?

Let me know how how the Test Drive goes!
shkl (03-26-17)
Old 03-25-17, 01:16 PM
addtemp
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't forget that 15 RX didn't have solid or dynamic lines in the backup Camera so backup camera just shows view without any lines to guide where car currently is or projected path. A big minus for me not a deal breaker.
shkl (03-26-17)
Old 03-26-17, 04:34 AM
azinn
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Both are around the same price, which one should I buy? I have a 2008 RX 350 too which I will keep.

What's so good about the 2016 apart from the looks...new owners please weigh in. Thanks a lot for all the input!

Get the 2016........................you won't be sorry!
shkl (03-26-17)
Old 03-26-17, 07:53 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I can see significant pros and cons to either choice.

With the 2016 RX, there are very nice improvements over the 3rd generation RX, both (subjectively) cosmetic improvements and functional improvements. That is the reason why there is always a more significant difference on the used car market between the value of a vehicle from the first year of a new generation and the value of one from the last year of the previous generation.

However, if you live in an area with real winters, occasional slick or snow-packed roads, etc., there will be real advantages to an AWD vehicle. Further, demand for 2 wheel drive SUVs is significantly lower than is demand for AWD SUVs. So, any money that you save up front by buying a 2 wheel drive SUV is likely to be, to a very large extent, lost when it comes time to sell or trade in that two wheel drive SUV.

Further, even though in-car navigation systems are far from perfect, they are a very high demand feature for used car buyers, and that is especially true for a Lexus vehicle. Demand for a used Lexus without navigation will be much lower than that for one with navigation, and, thus, like with AWD, whatever you save up front by buying a Lexus without navigation will be mostly lost at re-sale or trade-in time. There is a used car manager from a Lexus dealer who occasionally posts on the Club Lexus forums, and he has, in similar threads, confirmed that navigation systems return, at trade-in or re-sale time, a significantly higher portion of their initial cost than most other options. He has also said that, because he knows that, if he takes a trade-in with navigation, it likely will move off of his lot very quickly, while one without navigation is likely to sit on his lot for an extended amount of time, what he offers for a trade-in without navigation is much lower than for one with navigation

Thus, if it was me, my first choice would be to try to find a way to afford a 2016 with AWD and navigation, even if it meant waiting a bit and saving up a little more money, but, if I had to make the choice right now, I would easily make the choice to go with the 2015 with AWD and navigation. Not only will it have more functional use now, but it will yield better results at trade-in or re-sale time.
shkl (03-26-17)
Old 03-26-17, 08:19 AM
shkl
Driver School Candidate

I am leaning towards the 2015 model. Is 35,500 good price for 18,000 miles? It has premium package. Thank you for all the input
Old 03-26-17, 03:00 PM
Curryolla
Driver

I am leaning towards the 2015 model. Is 35,500 good price for 18,000 miles? It has premium package. Thank you for all the input
Difficult to tell. While you mention it has the Premium Package, I don't know what else it has. Blind Spot? Parking Sensors? Tow-Prep Package? I'm assuming it's in decent condition and a Certified Pre-Owned car. I also don't know if it has Comfort package (heated and cooled seats) which is something I'd definitely want!!! Heated and Ventilated Seats are a standalone option on the 2016.

Assuming a CPO, Premium Package, AWD, 2015 and no other features, KBB is saying $32,811-$35,992 is fair market value. So, at least your car is within the ballpark. I'd try and knock the price down a little bit, start at $32K and work up. Also, see if you can get an updated Navigation and/or All-Weather Mats thrown-in at the last minute.

Check out KBB, Edmunds and others. Low ball at $32K. If they don't budge, bring a printout of the KBB/Edmunds price to your dealer and tell them point blank.

By the way, I'd lean toward the 2015 too. I'd rather have AWD in Michigan winters!
Old 03-26-17, 05:18 PM
tomtom74
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

If I was looking for $40K price range with AWD and Navi, I would be looking at 2017 Toyota Highlander.
Old 03-27-17, 04:33 AM
shkl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Curryolla
Difficult to tell. While you mention it has the Premium Package, I don't know what else it has. Blind Spot? Parking Sensors? Tow-Prep Package? I'm assuming it's in decent condition and a Certified Pre-Owned car. I also don't know if it has Comfort package (heated and cooled seats) which is something I'd definitely want!!! Heated and Ventilated Seats are a standalone option on the 2016.

Assuming a CPO, Premium Package, AWD, 2015 and no other features, KBB is saying $32,811-$35,992 is fair market value. So, at least your car is within the ballpark. I'd try and knock the price down a little bit, start at $32K and work up. Also, see if you can get an updated Navigation and/or All-Weather Mats thrown-in at the last minute.

Check out KBB, Edmunds and others. Low ball at $32K. If they don't budge, bring a printout of the KBB/Edmunds price to your dealer and tell them point blank.

By the way, I'd lean toward the 2015 too. I'd rather have AWD in Michigan winters!
It is Lexus Certified with heated and cooling seats, blind spot monitor and parking assist. I will definitely ask for the updated map and the mats, thank you!
Old 03-27-17, 04:35 AM
shkl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tomtom74
If I was looking for $40K price range with AWD and Navi, I would be looking at 2017 Toyota Highlander.
Too big and I did not like the looks of it..
Old 03-27-17, 05:53 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Even though the 16 is more refined and a newer paltform, since you live in MI I would get the 15 since it has AWD...

Good luck..
shkl (03-27-17)
Old 03-27-17, 06:08 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Too big and I did not like the looks of it..
Same size as the current RX.

I had a 13 RX and we loved it. I do prefer the new RX, but I'd choose a well equipped previous gen over a stripper new one.

The 15 will treat you well.
shkl (03-27-17)
Old 03-27-17, 10:40 AM
Curryolla
Driver

It is Lexus Certified with heated and cooling seats, blind spot monitor and parking assist. I will definitely ask for the updated map and the mats, thank you!
In that case, I say go for the 15 over the 16. $35,500 is a great price. KBB says CPO price is $37,437 with fair market at $33,377-$36,558.

https://www.kbb.com/lexus/rx/2015/rx...&pricetype=cpo

Good luck!!!
shkl (03-27-17)

Quick Reply: 2015 AWD with Nav vs 2016 FWD no nav