RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Repaint Chrome Window Moldings and Grill

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-17, 05:10 AM
andre001
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repaint Chrome Window Moldings and Grill

Hi,

Since 2017 Lexus RX 350 F Sport does not have a an option with blacked out chrome lines (moldings) around windows and grille I thought about taking my RX to a custom paint shop to do it.
Has anyone painted the chrome moldings and front grill or considered doing it? If you have, can you post some pics of what the car looks like after all chrome moldings are painted in shadow black.
Thanks you
Old 03-20-17, 08:09 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

These black-out paint themes are very popular and have a special look for sure. A paint shop should be able to do it for sure.

Post some images when done!
Old 03-20-17, 11:01 AM
Hubs
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I would explore vinyl first.
Old 03-20-17, 03:05 PM
bdman360
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

wrap them in vinyl...
Old 09-20-19, 08:03 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Anyone black out chrome window trim?

Plasti-dip, paint shop, or wrap? Is it difficult to remove the trim for wrapping, or even worth it. Anyone have the chrome edges painted by taping and using plastic to protect extended areas from overspray?
Old 09-21-19, 05:56 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

It can get a lil pricey so I ended up doing plasti dip. IT was a fun project. It's been 3 years and it's still on and looks like new. So many websites out there like dipyourcar. Check youtube. The hardest part is preparation and covering everything lol.

I also didn't want to spend a bunch of money on the wrap for it to get shredded from gravel from the road. Let me know and I'll put exactly what I did from my notes.

But yeah, blacked out all my chrome even the huge f sport grill and love it with the grey paint.
The following users liked this post:
FUZCO (09-21-19)
Old 09-21-19, 05:13 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Default F-Sport with blacked-out widow trim and tint

Looks so much better than stock on the F-Sport with blacked-out chrome around window trim and tint to match the "floating panel" on the c-pillar. Better flow overall.

Last edited by FUZCO; 10-01-19 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-29-19, 10:00 AM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Default Painted (not plasti-dip or wrap) chrome window trim darker anyone?

I like the 2020 F-Sport. However, aesthetically to me, the chrome window trim must be darkened in order to make the “floating roof” look consistent. The chrome trim breakup is too busy looking and the lack of a chrome trim piece on the bottom of the C pillar glass panel is even more confusing.

Thing is, though, that I don’t want to start ripping trim off to wrap and plasti-dip is not an option either.

Anyone have a shop airbrush the chrome on the car with a satin or semigloss black paint? As long as it’s not matte and not complete gloss that would show swirls and fine scratches.

Lexus really should offer the dark chrome window trim option like on the RC F-Sport. Really tones down the busy design of the RX and looks sportier.

Before:

After (with side windows tinted to match C pillar also):

Old 10-11-19, 07:35 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Default Wrapping chrome trim

Anyone have a DIY how to wrap the chrome trim around the windows? Thanks.
Old 10-12-19, 03:07 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
It can get a lil pricey so I ended up doing plasti dip. IT was a fun project. It's been 3 years and it's still on and looks like new. So many websites out there like dipyourcar. Check youtube. The hardest part is preparation and covering everything lol.

I also didn't want to spend a bunch of money on the wrap for it to get shredded from gravel from the road. Let me know and I'll put exactly what I did from my notes.

But yeah, blacked out all my chrome even the huge f sport grill and love it with the grey paint.
Hi there. Can you post more pics of window trim?
Old 06-30-20, 09:53 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default exterior chrome trim removal

I'd like to black out the chrome trim around the front grill and the horizontal chrome bar on the rear liftgate. Can some kind soul please post the removal procedure for those? TIA
Old 06-30-20, 03:33 PM
Sondoan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FUZCO
Hi there. Can you post more pics of window trim?

i painted to gloss black. It look better than chrome before.
Old 06-30-20, 05:20 PM
NFaridi
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by FUZCO
I like the 2020 F-Sport. However, aesthetically to me, the chrome window trim must be darkened in order to make the “floating roof” look consistent. The chrome trim breakup is too busy looking and the lack of a chrome trim piece on the bottom of the C pillar glass panel is even more confusing.

Thing is, though, that I don’t want to start ripping trim off to wrap and plasti-dip is not an option either.

Anyone have a shop airbrush the chrome on the car with a satin or semigloss black paint? As long as it’s not matte and not complete gloss that would show swirls and fine scratches.

Lexus really should offer the dark chrome window trim option like on the RC F-Sport. Really tones down the busy design of the RX and looks sportier.
10000% agree with you. It makes all the difference in the world when you black out the window trim to gloss black. Really ties every thing together.
Old 06-30-20, 11:25 PM
Black31385
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sondoan

i painted to gloss black. It look better than chrome before.
That's exactly the look that I am trying to go for. Looks perfect. Dis you do it yourself? Is it plastic dip?
Old 07-01-20, 12:08 PM
mrslnsyder
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Chrome delete?

Hi all, has anyone had a professional chrome delete vinyl wrap done on their 4RX? I only have one shop who does it locally and the estimate was $600 which seems high to me but I don't have anything to compare it to.

Quick Reply: Repaint Chrome Window Moldings and Grill