Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Windscreen Haze (can barely see)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-17, 06:25 AM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Windscreen Haze (can barely see)

Hi

Does anyone else have the problem? See picture I can barely drive at night in the rain its that bad. When it rains and its at night my windscreen gets awful haze. I know its from the automatic car wash. I have unlimited pass to a carwash and run my car through almost once a week.

Does anyone know how to remove it? I have tried dawn dish detergent, and Windex as suggested on a Toyota Tundra forum where someone has had the same problem, but I haven't been able to fix it. I know someone suggest getting it buffed, but I am hoping to be able to do it myself as I will run my car through the car wash often.
Attached Thumbnails Windscreen Haze (can barely see)-fullsizerender.jpg  
Old 02-26-17, 06:47 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

Is the auto car wash using some kind of wax in their rinse. If so you will need to use a solvent to remove the wax. Take care about using auto car washes as they can really wear down your paint job. At least make sure you wax often. If your auto car wash is using the plastic type rotating brushes on your vehicle, I would not use them as they will eat your finish up over time.

Try "dampening" a cloth with some alcohol and see if that cuts the gunk on your windshield. Warning is is very flammable.
The following users liked this post:
aznkorboi (02-26-17)
Old 02-26-17, 08:00 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Is the haze on the inside or outside of the windows? Try cleaning the inside of the windows with a quality glass cleaner. I prefer Stoner's Invisible Glass with 2 microfiber towels. One towel that will always stay damp to clean the majority of the grime and one towel to buff dry for a streak free shine.

If there is still a haze afterwards, then try an alcohol wipedown like suggested above.
Old 02-26-17, 08:09 AM
glm318
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
Is the haze on the inside or outside of the windows? Try cleaning the inside of the windows with a quality glass cleaner. I prefer Stoner's Invisible Glass with 2 microfiber towels. One towel that will always stay damp to clean the majority of the grime and one towel to buff dry for a streak free shine.

If there is still a haze afterwards, then try an alcohol wipedown like suggested above.
+1 on this, this is what I do for the inside also.
Old 02-26-17, 08:12 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

From the streaks in the image, there is no doubt it is on the outside. They follow the wipers path of movement.
Old 02-26-17, 09:13 AM
Lsport
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the exact same problem, could it be a problem with the wipers? Thinking about getting the Bosch Icon, anyone tried those 4th Gen RX? Also would rain-x help on the windsheild?
Old 02-26-17, 10:14 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

This situation, I had to do several things to get it right. A degreaser, prep-sol (wax& grease remover), windex, a set of new wiper blades, a ton of micro fiber cloths & paper towels. A combination of using those products multiple times, I managed to get it clean. I use rainX every time I was the car. It always makes it easier to clean. It was a lot like getting the silicone film off the inside. I never use those silicone products, but I have bought cars were they have been used.
Old 02-26-17, 01:28 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

I am betting that those unlimited car washes are applying something that is supposed to make the paint shine but is not so good for the glass. The wiper blades could also be covered in it.
Old 02-26-17, 03:58 PM
pqn628
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

buy yourself some compound and polish your windshield. After you do you that, get a nice sealant.
Old 02-26-17, 04:50 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Once you remove it, your wipers will also have a coating, so you might want to clean them as well..
Old 02-27-17, 06:46 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Road grime, waxes, sealants or coatings can leave a very stubborn film on the glass. If it is just road grime, clay should remove it. My 2014 Lexus 350 had a blotchy coating on the windshield when delivered new. No cleaner or clay would touch it and I had to resort to machine polishing.
Old 02-27-17, 06:50 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

I ran into the same issue on my 14 RX. I tried a clay bar to no avail, so I used a Mr. Clean Magic eraser and that took care of it. I would only use it on glass and not the paint.
Old 02-27-17, 06:49 PM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Get some steel wool, and clean the outside glass with the steel wool using an auto glass cleaner as the liquid lubricant. Cover the whole windscreen, then wipe dry and apply some RainX. I do this once a year. Try it.
Old 02-27-17, 08:44 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

did you try using your wiper fluid? decent wiper fluid cuts through those things.. yes, i do use them in the rain time to time.. especially in the beginning of a sprinkle.
Old 02-28-17, 05:00 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome thanks everyone!

For the suggestions. I never used clay, but two sounds easy for a first pass. Magic Eraser and Steel wool! will report back shortly. Thanks again!!!

Quick Reply: Windscreen Haze (can barely see)