RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

3RX F Sport vs. 4RX F Sport - How Does The Ride Compare?

Old 02-21-17, 01:42 PM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
Default 3RX F Sport vs. 4RX F Sport - How Does The Ride Compare?

I have been a big fan of the 3RX F Sport, I still think it handles well and on the highway the ride is great. This past weekend we took a 200 mile round trip drive to PA from NY and on the open road the ride was comfortable, quiet and solid. But I have to be honest, after 2-1/2 years of driving it mostly on NYC streets the ride is really beginning to wear on me and on the RX..

It only has 16K miles on it and over the past 3-4 weeks I have noticed some interior creaks coming from the front passenger door and the cargo area that were never there before, and I can't help to think the stiff ride has something to do with it.

Within the next 3 to 6 months we are going to be returning our 15 RX F Sport, and although they are different vehicles we will probably end up with either a GX or RX F Sport. The last time I was at my dealer to test drive a GX they didn't have an RX F Sport for us to drive.

So with that being said, those of you that had a 3RX F Sport, and are now driving a 4RX F Sport how do you find the ride compares between the two?. Since the 3RX didn't come with the AVS, how do they compare to each other when the 4RX is in normal mode?

I will eventually test drive a 4RX F Sport, but in the meantime I was wondering what others thought.

Thanks..

Last edited by JT4; 02-21-17 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-21-17, 02:43 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I'd say the 4RX F-Sport is maybe a little more refined than the 3RX F-Sport in normal mode. Part of it is probably due to AVS. Keep in mind there's a bit of a size difference and bigger rims. Sport+ mode gives you a much tighter feel in both handling and steering. But it's not really practical most of the time. I haven't tried custom mode yet. One thing that stood out to me was how smooth the 8 speed trans was compared to the 3RX. Granted this was only during a test drive but I'm somewhat hypersensitive as a hybrid owner.

corrado just picked up another 350 F-Sport a few weeks ago. I'm sure he can give you a detailed comparison between the two gens.
The following users liked this post:
JT4 (02-24-17)
Old 02-21-17, 04:30 PM
azinn
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The 4RX F-Sport ride is not as harsh as the 3RX F-Sport. After 3 years with the 3RX F-Sport the 4RX F-Sport feels at lot more refined and seems to handle better. All in all just a lot nicer vehicle. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by azinn; 02-21-17 at 04:57 PM.
JT4 (02-24-17)
Old 02-21-17, 09:35 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I think there is a night and day difference in ride quality between 3g and 4g.
The following 2 users liked this post by roblim:
JT4 (02-24-17), tomtom74 (02-23-17)
Old 02-22-17, 05:30 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

I figured that the ride would be better based on the AVS and due to the 4RX being a more refined vehicle. Hoping to test drive one by the end of next month..

Thanks for the responses,
Old 02-22-17, 04:59 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts
Smile AVS and longer wheelbase make all the difference...

As others have echoed, the 4RX F Sport has a more refined ride. Specifically, thanks to the AVS, the damping is a little softer while body motions are better controlled especially along the vertical plane. The biggest difference in ride quality is a notably less jarring ride for rear passengers. Whereas the 3RX F Sport exhibited a detuned version of the "school-bus" harsh bounce at the rear, I have yet to experience the same level of harshness with the 4RX F Sport. To note, the added 2 inches in wheelbase certainly contributes to the smoother ride.

AVS makes such a difference that the shorter wheelbase and sportier NX F Sport (w/AVS in Canada) has a smoother ride than the 3RX F Sport. When I owned it, the NX's ride with AVS was good for its size, yet the 4RX w/AVS is even better and interior feels much tighter than the 3RX where I too experienced squeaks and rattles in the door and rear cargo area/rear seats.

Here's a tidbit on the NX's AVS (applicable to the RX's as well), in order to appreciate its complexities.

Adaptive Variable Suspension

The NX 200t F Sport is available with an optional new-generation, linear
solenoid-type Adaptive Variable Suspension. Working in conjunction with
Drive Mode Select (which adds Sport+ mode), it automatically adjusts
suspension damping in all driving conditions to achieve the highest possible
straight line ride comfort and high-speed stability, with suppression of body
roll and better cornering agility.
Lexus’s breakthrough of using linear solenoid actuators in place of the
more conventional step motors more than trebles the number of control
force levels – from nine to 30. The actuator is more compact, too, so it has
been possible to relocate it from the top of the damper unit to its lower side,
creating a lower bonnet line and more load space. As a result, suspension
response time has decreased four-fold, from 80 to 20 milliseconds.

AVS operation is governed by nine control inputs:

Vehicle Speed Sensing Control gives ride comfort at low speeds and
handling stability at higher speeds
Roll Attitude Control maintains the optimum vehicle attitude during
cornering
Anti-dive Control moderates the tendency to pitch forward under braking
Rebound Control works best on rough surfaces, smoothing out bumps
Ruggedness Sensing Control decreases damping force when vibration
from uneven road surfaces is sensed
Unsprung Mass Variation Damping Control increases damping force
when components such as the wheels start to resonate on uneven surfaces
VSC Co-operative Control works with the vehicle stability control
systems to provide the best handling options when the vehicle starts to
skid, for example on a damp surface
Pre-Crash Safety System Co-operative Control provides extra damping
force for accident avoidance under heavy braking

Last edited by corradoMR2; 02-22-17 at 05:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by corradoMR2:
aznkorboi (02-23-17), JT4 (02-24-17)
Old 02-23-17, 06:13 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the info corrado, it's greatly appreciated..

Your "school-bus" harsh bounce at the rear description of how the 3RX F Sport feels at times pretty much sums it up. The ride really has become that jarring at times.

As I had mentioned numerous times on CL over the years, we knew what we were getting into when we bought the F Sport. We took a few extended test drives that focused mostly on city driving to make sure we could live with the firm ride. I am used to driving vehicles that have more of a sporty feel to them so after the test drives I thought it would be fine. We've had it for 2-1/2 years and while the ride has been harsh at times I was fine with it up until approx a month ago.

This is my wifes vehicle so she drives it 90% of the time and she hasn't complained, but in my opinion over the last 4 to 6 weeks the ride has become harsher and creaks and rattles have appeared "out of nowhere". I guess I could understand it if it had 40K miles on it, then I would put some blame for the ride on tire wear. But these Michelin's only have 16K on them, and in all fairness 16K miles for a Lexus is barely broken in.

It's good to hear that you feel the ride quality on the 4RX F Sport is a notably less jarring for rear passengers than in the 3RX, and that you have yet to experience the same level of harshness with the 4RX F Sport. Because as you know, once you hit one of those jarring bumps in the 3RX F Sport, it not only affects the rear passengers, it transmits throughout the cabin..

As I mentioned in a previous post I am hoping to drive one by the end of next month so I will get to feel the ride for myself.. But I do appreciate your response and those of the others that replied..

Thanks again..
Old 02-23-17, 10:36 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Coming from my '10 450h with the sport package, I can somewhat relate. Sometimes I wondered if it might be better to have a regular suspension with the bad road conditions. But then my butt would fall asleep, LOL! It's been 14 years since I've had a 'leather sofa on wheels'. While that might be fine for others, I prefer the things a sportier suspension brings, like less body roll and tighter steering. .Lexus brought the F-Sport to a new level this gen.

Definitely let us know what you think after you go for a test drive. Weather is pretty nice around here too. It's the perfect time to do it.
JT4 (02-24-17)
Old 02-24-17, 06:12 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
Coming from my '10 450h with the sport package, I can somewhat relate. Sometimes I wondered if it might be better to have a regular suspension with the bad road conditions. But then my butt would fall asleep, LOL! It's been 14 years since I've had a 'leather sofa on wheels'. While that might be fine for others, I prefer the things a sportier suspension brings, like less body roll and tighter steering. .Lexus brought the F-Sport to a new level this gen.

Definitely let us know what you think after you go for a test drive. Weather is pretty nice around here too. It's the perfect time to do it.
I also prefer the benefits that a sportier suspension brings, not to mention the look that the F Sport pkg brings to the RX..

As I mentioned in my previous post, I am used to driving vehicles with sport suspensions. I used to drive a C6 6MT Grand Sport Vette and now a CTS-V so stiffer suspensions are nothing new to me.

When I put my CTS-V in sport mode you can immediately feel everything tighten up and get firm. But believe it or not (I'm sure some will think I'm crazy), I am convinced my CTS-V in sport mode and with perf Michelins absorbs bumps, washboard roads etc. better than our F Sport, something I wouldn't expect.

I was having trouble trying to describe what the F Sport felt like when you hit a bump until corrado "hit the nail on the head" in his post. His "school-bus" harsh bounce at the rear description is exactly what it feels like.

I knew the 4RX was more refined than the 3RX from my brief drive in a regular one, and I'm happy to hear that everyone feels that the 4RX F Sport rides better than than the 3RX F Sport..

Thanks again...
Old 02-24-17, 04:21 PM
jmtamu
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JT4
Thanks for the info corrado, it's greatly appreciated..

Your "school-bus" harsh bounce at the rear description of how the 3RX F Sport feels at times pretty much sums it up. The ride really has become that jarring at times.

As I had mentioned numerous times on CL over the years, we knew what we were getting into when we bought the F Sport. We took a few extended test drives that focused mostly on city driving to make sure we could live with the firm ride. I am used to driving vehicles that have more of a sporty feel to them so after the test drives I thought it would be fine. We've had it for 2-1/2 years and while the ride has been harsh at times I was fine with it up until approx a month ago.
Sounds like "new car-itis". I know as soon as I starting thing about a change, it's over and I start feeling like my current vehicle sucks.