RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

F Sport and non, major differences?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-17, 07:30 PM
Tribute182
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you so much kitlz, I feel like I got everything figured out! And, I will try to find other best match packages for myself.
Old 02-19-17, 10:31 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

fsport does hande better than the base RX without turning Sport+ on...but that comes with a more firm ride. If you want traditional cushy lexus ride, stick with the base RX. FSport in Sport+ mode does stiffen up a bit more with very little roll for a big SUV and the steering firms up too. Nice for the twisty roads when you want.
Old 02-19-17, 10:41 PM
Tribute182
Driver School Candidate

How much do you think is the difference? I know this is a bad question, but you mean the most sportiest mode on f-sport? So, do you mean the roll in normal model is noticeable large? Last question, let's say if I select the sport mode on normal model, is it able to compare to the f-sport model someway?
Thanks a lot!
Old 02-20-17, 12:09 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

I forgot to mention...the RX350 F-sport has a manual mode where you are able to select what gear to be in (within reason); this is indicated with a M and gear number when the shifter is placed in manual mode. So if it indicates M3, then you are in third gear and will remain there until you upshift, downshift, or hit the limiter. For the non F-sport, the manual mode acts more like a limiter; this is indicated with an S and gear number. For example, when it says S4, this means that 4th will be the highest gear. So if you floor it, you'll feel it go to a lower gear but it still says S4, and it will settle in 4th again when throttle is returned to normal.

This might bother some people who like to control what gear they are in or it might not bother you, but it's good to know before making your decision.
Old 02-20-17, 03:27 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

S+ makes the overall ride firmer on the F-Sport. There's less body roll and the steering tighter like s4iscool said. But I wouldn't call it practical for every day driving. S mode on the regular RX helps with shifting. At least that's the impression I get from here. I haven't driven one myself.
Old 02-20-17, 06:01 AM
tomtom74
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I had 2016 RX350 w/ luxury package as loaner for 2 days. I didn't like the seat. It was too flat, and no lateral support. When I got my 2016 RX 350 F-Sport, I was so glad that I got F-Sport.
Old 02-20-17, 11:27 AM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Sport mode on FSport just changes the transmission and throttle to more be more aggressive. Sport + adds more stiff suspension and steering wheel feel ONLY on the FSport. Sport mode on the base RX350 is the same as the Fsport Sport mode, but remember, the base starts off with a softer suspension. The base and Fsport are close in Sport mode, but still different in suspension and therefore handling.
Old 02-21-17, 11:08 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Tribute182, you've already heard a lot from others but there are some points you may want to consider.

1. VDIM is great and it makes a big difference, but only if you're planning to drive on snowy freeways. If you ever go skiing or cross snowy mountain passes, you will be safer with VDIM.
2. Since you're a young guy, I would definitely get the sport if I were you. The F Sport stands out from the rest of the 'soccer mom' RXs. Looks aside, the S+ mode is great around corners but horrible over speed bumps. The normal mode in a F Sport is already more firm than the normal mode in a non F Sport.
3. Money comes as you get older, but you can't go back in time and add additional features. If it is not a stretch for you to fully option it, consider how long you plan to keep the car and choose wisely. For me, I always regretted cheaping out on the options wanted. This time I went with everything and don't have any regrets. If you are planning on keeping this car through the next generation, I would definitely option it out.

On the other hand, if you're not really a car guy and can't appreciate many features, you may never appreciate them. But then you may never know what you care about 5-6 years from now.
Old 02-21-17, 09:03 PM
Tribute182
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for these good comments! Well, I have a question on purchasing the car. I mean normally how do Americans buy their cars (not insulting any stuffs)? Basically, I was wondering why the dealer keep asking me to go to their shop to settle down the stuffs. I mean somehow that's inconvenient for me. However, I still figure out perhaps maybe going once before buying is worthy. Nevertheless, anyone possible gives me some advices what should I keep in mind when talking to the dealer and what to expect ... I mean pretty much I will go with a friend with same age.

Lastly, besides the softness of the seats, they are not identical? I mean from the videos and photos, I thought they are pretty similar.
Old 02-22-17, 12:10 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Tribute182
Thanks for these good comments! Well, I have a question on purchasing the car. I mean normally how do Americans buy their cars (not insulting any stuffs)? Basically, I was wondering why the dealer keep asking me to go to their shop to settle down the stuffs. I mean somehow that's inconvenient for me. However, I still figure out perhaps maybe going once before buying is worthy. Nevertheless, anyone possible gives me some advices what should I keep in mind when talking to the dealer and what to expect ... I mean pretty much I will go with a friend with same age.

Lastly, besides the softness of the seats, they are not identical? I mean from the videos and photos, I thought they are pretty similar.

Regarding the seats, the F-sport seats are slightly stiffer and are bolstered more aggressively. IMO, they are a bit short on the bottom cushion for my longer legs, but still comfortable and great for holding you in (bigger people might find it restricting). The Luxury package seats have thigh seat extenders which support longer legs better, but like mentioned earlier, they are bolstered conservatively and don't hold you in as well (a bit on the flat side). It would be worth a trip for you to go to the dealer to sit in and drive both cars to see what you like. Do your homework on fair pricing on the car (KBB, edmunds, pricing thread on CL, etc.). Go to the showroom and look at an RX in the showroom; open the doors and really check it out. Even though you may have most of your questions answered here, ask a salesman the difference in driving dynamics between the F-sport and non F-sport. They might be more inclined to give you test drives if you show genuine interest in the RX. After the test drive, show the dealer that you are serious about making a purchase, and if you feel comfortable with your salesman ask them for their best offer. Don't accept it until you shop around. You can easily shop between dealers through emailing their internet sales department. Once you find a car and price you're satisfied with, go down to the dealer and finalize the deal (some dealers might come to you if you ask).
Old 02-22-17, 04:06 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

Make sure you do all your stuff online. Put what you want on cars.com, truecar etc and the dealer will contact you. Ask what the best deal you can get. Use the 2017 best prices paid thread. Then take that offer to another dealer and keep doing it.

Make SURE you ask them what is their final price out the door minus taxes and normal fees and keep asking them if that is the price and what the fees are. That's how they get you in, they give you a fake deal and turn around and not honor it. Bait and switch.
Old 02-23-17, 09:36 PM
Tribute182
Driver School Candidate

Thank you guys! I'm going to see the dealer next Thursday or Saturday. I will check about the seats, normally I believe seats aren't that much of a problem.
Old 02-26-17, 06:20 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Thank you guys! I'm going to see the dealer next Thursday or Saturday. I will check about the seats, normally I believe seats aren't that much of a problem.
The seats are dramatically different. Seats in the F sport are not for everyone. The leg extensions are a nice feature if equipped ( not available on F sport)..had that on the old 3rx. Wife likes the F sport seats much better on the 4rx...and that's all that matters..hahaha

I like the bolster on the bottom and back (F sport), but I do find the bottom cushion can feel a little hard on a long drive on your butt bone..technically called ischial tuberosity. Then again I'm an old fart and am feeling a few more aches and pains these days.

Only you can decide what seat suits your body the best. Good luck!
Old 02-27-17, 08:08 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 172 Likes on 121 Posts

You really have to go to the dealer and check out the differences yourself. I did not like the F-Sport seats in the RX. It was a long drive/ride concern not so much for me but for my passenger if they're over 150lbs. The seats felt a little tight and hard.

I'm really surprised to see a 21 year old going for an SUV. I think an IS would be much more appealing than an RX. And would be a lot easier to park at a college campus.
Good luck with your schooling. Don't let the fancy stuff distract you from your schooling.
Old 02-27-17, 09:31 PM
Tribute182
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I was considering is 350 f sport in the beginning, however, there's only awd version which means it's mounted with the old 6 speed transmission and I can't stand it.

Quick Reply: F Sport and non, major differences?