RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2017 RX and Android Auto

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-17, 11:48 AM
atomarchio
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2017 RX and Android Auto

Does the 2017 RX support Android Auto? If not, is there a similar app that will work?
Old 02-18-17, 05:08 PM
s2000zr
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No, they want you to use Lexus Enform
Old 02-18-17, 05:15 PM
atomarchio
Pit Crew

Well ENFORM does not work all the time. For me it only works every OTHER time I turn on the car.

Several calls with Lexus tech support and they even took the car back to the dealer but nothing is wrong.

I am very angry and disappointed with the 17 RX. And to make matters worse there are ONLY 100 address book entries. For me that's not close to enough.

Not exactly sure what do to at this point.
Old 02-19-17, 07:13 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by atomarchio
Well ENFORM does not work all the time. For me it only works every OTHER time I turn on the car.

Several calls with Lexus tech support and they even took the car back to the dealer but nothing is wrong.

I am very angry and disappointed with the 17 RX. And to make matters worse there are ONLY 100 address book entries. For me that's not close to enough.

Not exactly sure what do to at this point.
Not much you can do unless it upsets you to the point you want trade it.

A little research would Ave saved you from getting angry and disappointed.
Old 02-19-17, 07:18 AM
atomarchio
Pit Crew

I disagree. You'd think Lexus would have resolved these issues by now.
Old 02-19-17, 10:04 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

I disagree. You'd think Lexus would have resolved these issues by now.
My 7+ works without flaw.

I would also also say that the majority of android phone users work or this place would be packed "my android phone does not work posts".
Old 06-13-17, 07:52 PM
DBXL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How big of a deal is it not to have Android auto or Apple car play available on the RX's? I don't have it now on my VW, but it sure seems that most new vehicles do have it. I am putting together my list of pros and cons on the RX's and this one and the blind spot in the rear are my two biggest cons (off the top of my head). Thanks.
Old 06-14-17, 04:14 AM
atomarchio
Pit Crew

Not having Android Auto is now a big deal for me since ENFORM destinations via desktop computer are no longer supported. Of course they announced right after I aquired the vehicle.

I did try the app but it always runs on the phone in the background. Did not like that at all.

Lexus should add support for Android Auto but this will be only on new vehicles moving forward if at all. Rest of us are out of luck probably..
Old 06-14-17, 04:42 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

I am betting Lexus will stick with it own Enform for many years to come.
Old 06-14-17, 04:45 AM
atomarchio
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
I am betting Lexus will stick with it own Enform for many years to come.
I agree.

However, I will switch to different brand of car (similar SUV) if I a find a solution where I can enter the destinations from my destkop computer and sync to vehicle.
Old 06-14-17, 04:47 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

I agree.

However, I will switch to different brand of car (similar SUV) if I a find a solution where I can enter the destinations from my destkop computer and sync to vehicle.
Boy that will show them!
Old 06-14-17, 06:20 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Like others mentioned just use the App Suite and Saved Destinations. It does amaze me you would overlook the rest of the car and only focus on this one issue and that would persuade you to get rid of it just for that. But hey if it's that important to you then do what makes you happy. 99.99999999% of Android problems I see are Samsungs. Because Samsung tweaks the stock Android operating system so much more than other brands that it causes issue.
Old 09-28-18, 04:44 AM
Coachdad
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm also disappointed that the RX350 isn't Android Auto compatible but the rest of the car is so awesome that I bought it anyway.
For those of you who are trying to compare Android Auto to Enform here are some of the important thing that I like about Android Auto.
1) It's FREE
2) Google Maps provides good traffic updates and maps are always up to date
3) Waze provides even better traffic updates. (accurate traffic)
4) Did I mention It's FREE forever not just the first year.
Old 09-28-18, 05:45 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Coachdad
I'm also disappointed that the RX350 isn't Android Auto compatible but the rest of the car is so awesome that I bought it anyway.
For those of you who are trying to compare Android Auto to Enform here are some of the important thing that I like about Android Auto.
1) It's FREE
4) Did I mention It's FREE forever not just the first year.
The Lexus Enform App Suite, which includes the Destination Search app is free forever. It is only the Enform Remote, Safety Connect, and live Destination Assist that requires an annual subscription. Further, the free Destination Search app uses a continuously updated data base that is also larger than the data base on the SD card that is in the vehicle, and it works very well with voice commands. When the Destination Search app became available 2 or 3 years ago, I quickly came to the conclusion that anyone who is not using it is not getting the most out of the capabilities of the navigation system.
Old 09-28-18, 05:53 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
The Lexus Enform App Suite, which includes the Destination Search app is free forever. It is only the Enform Remote, Safety Connect, and live Destination Assist that requires an annual subscription. Further, the free Destination Search app uses a continuously updated data base that is also larger than the data base on the SD card that is in the vehicle, and it works very well with voice commands. When the Destination Search app became available 2 or 3 years ago, I quickly came to the conclusion that anyone who is not using it is not getting the most out of the capabilities of the navigation system.
In Canada, there is no Enform. So we got navigation that works just like an off the shelf GPS.

I regret taking the navigation when my Garmin works better and gets the traffic info, unlike the Lexus one.

Quick Reply: 2017 RX and Android Auto