RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Damaged side view mirror

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-17, 09:05 AM
makisan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damaged side view mirror

I have a 2016 F Sport RX350 and I destroyed driver side mirror baking out of garage.

I searched online and the full mirror assembly is $700.
- I am stuck trying to get a screw out but starting to notice even if I remove that last screw it is only holding the cover.
- Any one have experience removing these mirrors?

This is the screw in the back of the mirror holding the cover. only 1/2 inch clearance..

2 screws in the front already removed...

I will schedule appointment with body shop to get a quote.
Old 02-12-17, 09:20 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Does the motor still open and close the housing?
Old 02-12-17, 09:30 AM
Supranut
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Normally you have to pull the door panel off to access the mounting bolts and to disconnect the wire harness.
Here is the parts list to purchase each piece individually:
http://www.discountpartsmonster.com/...e-mirrors-scat
Old 02-12-17, 10:12 AM
makisan
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys.. Yes the motor still opens and close the mirror.. but the housing is to badly destroyed that i need to buy entire new mirror.. the only thing i can savage is the glass.. even the side marker light is cracked on the edge..

I was really afraid that it would involve removing the door panel.. I was hopping there as a certain angle the mirror has to be positioned and allow me to access some bolt or lift unit upward.

Thanks guys..
Old 02-12-17, 10:52 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by makisan
Hi guys.. Yes the motor still opens and close the mirror.. but the housing is to badly destroyed that i need to buy entire new mirror.. the only thing i can savage is the glass.. even the side marker light is cracked on the edge..

I was really afraid that it would involve removing the door panel.. I was hopping there as a certain angle the mirror has to be positioned and allow me to access some bolt or lift unit upward.

Thanks guys..
Do not bother saving anything. Just remove the "dangling" parts so they do not scratch the door. Lexus will only replace the entire assembly and will not save or used an of your parts. I did this to one of my past LX units and it was right around $1000 for just the part less the labor to change out.
Old 02-12-17, 11:25 AM
makisan
Driver School Candidate

did you do that at the dealership or a bodyshop?

Last edited by makisan; 02-12-17 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-17-18, 07:26 PM
eorising
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help finding part number

Hello,

My significant other broke the passenger side mirror on the 2016 Lexus RX350. Im having trouble finding the part #. It has blind spot monitor and autodim (electrochromatic). Any help?
Old 11-18-18, 07:23 PM
makaRX350
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by eorising
Hello,

My significant other broke the passenger side mirror on the 2016 Lexus RX350. Im having trouble finding the part #. It has blind spot monitor and autodim (electrochromatic). Any help?

check out this link. I used this video to remove my mirror. Pretty simple actually. Acura actually sells the mirror. Probably one of the best prices, expensive, but still the one of the best prices.
i suggest changing the whole thing.
The following users liked this post:
kentuckyed (04-10-21)
Old 11-18-18, 08:12 PM
eorising
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome thank you very much. That’s definitely helpful. I was a little concerned about removing the door panel to do this. But it’s not bad at all.
Old 04-29-19, 04:58 PM
shah21
Driver School Candidate

Default Passenger Side Mirror Broken

Unfortunately yesterday , while backing out my car outside the garage , in a lapse of concentration , I didnt realise that the mirror was too close to the wall and I ended up badly damaging it. Though the blind spot assist still works , the mirror is badly shattered, also there is a crack in the place where the entire mirror assembly attaches to car body.

Before I decide to claim insurance and potentially ruin my premiums , I wanted to know if I can buy the mirrors from the market ? I had an initial estimate done and the body repair shop quoted $ 1500 for the mirror assembly . She asked if the mirror has a camera in it, and I was not sure, though I have the blind spot assist and the panoromic view options , I am not sure if the camera is really a part of the side mirror or somewhere else..

Also how easy/difficult is it to replace the mirror assembly myself and if I can replace it myself.

Any help will be appreciated.
Old 04-29-19, 06:12 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by shah21
Unfortunately yesterday , while backing out my car outside the garage , in a lapse of concentration , I didnt realise that the mirror was too close to the wall and I ended up badly damaging it. Though the blind spot assist still works , the mirror is badly shattered, also there is a crack in the place where the entire mirror assembly attaches to car body.

Before I decide to claim insurance and potentially ruin my premiums , I wanted to know if I can buy the mirrors from the market ? I had an initial estimate done and the body repair shop quoted $ 1500 for the mirror assembly . She asked if the mirror has a camera in it, and I was not sure, though I have the blind spot assist and the panoromic view options , I am not sure if the camera is really a part of the side mirror or somewhere else..

Also how easy/difficult is it to replace the mirror assembly myself and if I can replace it myself.

Any help will be appreciated.
Post #8 in this thread has a video on how to do it. It's really that easy. I popped off the driver door panels on two vehicles made by Toyota in the last week and it took maybe five minutes each. Removing and replacing exterior mirrors is just as it's shown in the video.

That said, an insurance claim isn't necessarily going to trash your rates. I had an exterior mirror trashed by a speeding driving in a work zone last fall and I let my insurer take care of it since my deductible was less than the cost of the mirror. My insurance rates weren't affected but it was my first collision coverage claim in 45 years with my insurer.

Edit: In the future, leave your mirrors in the retracted position when backing out of your garage. I manually retract my mirrors before pulling into my garage and never extend them until after I'm out of my garage. I would have trashed a mirror too if I hadn't been doing that.
Old 04-29-19, 06:48 PM
shah21
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, can you confirm the exact site which is mentioned in the video. I only got acura something. Also do i need to get it painted or it will match the body paint color. My lexus is midnight mica color.
Old 04-30-19, 07:55 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by shah21
Thanks, can you confirm the exact site which is mentioned in the video. I only got acura something. Also do i need to get it painted or it will match the body paint color. My lexus is midnight mica color.
There is no "midnight mica" in the list of available colors for the 2016 RX. I'm guessing it is instead "Nightfall Mica" (dark blue?) which would be paint code 8X5 and have a part number suffix of -J0

You don't have to buy a replacement mirror from the website mentioned in the video. Get the part number you need and do an Internet search to find the best price. The mirror will come in the color you need - no painting is necessary.

I suggest that you get an estimate from a local repair shop and make sure that the exact part number you need is on the estimate including the paint code suffix. If your local Lexus dealership doesn't have a body shop, ask the Lexus dealer for a recommendation.

Edit: Or just get the exact part number you need from the parts department of your local Lexus dealer.

These part number lists can be confusing. For example, there was a revised version of the mirror with the pano camera feature implemented during the 2016 model year - they look alike but have different part numbers. If yours is an early 2016 RX, I don't know if the revised mirror will work or if you need the original version and vice versa.

Or just let a body shop do the replacement. I don't remember our insurance rates being affected when my wife trashed a mirror while backing out of our garage. Ask your insurance agent.

Last edited by Kansas; 04-30-19 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-16-19, 09:01 PM
garyclee
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Repair Side Mirror Housing

Hi guys,

So I just hit my passenger side mirror on a pillar while backing up into a parking space. The plastic on the bottom part popped out, along with the plastic along the turn signal light.

Does anyone know how I can put the plastic back together? I don't want to force it in without knowing what I'm doing to avoid breaking the housing. I have the 2017 RX450h F Sport.

See the photos.

I appreciate the help! Thank you

Old 05-17-19, 08:37 AM
spidgeon
Driver School Candidate

I just had this happen as well, only I broke my housing! 😬 I need to find a place to replace it, and really don’t want to have to buy an entirely new mirror.

Quick Reply: Damaged side view mirror