RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Low Temp / Icy Conditions warning

Old 01-17-17, 05:16 AM
dougef
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Low Temp / Icy Conditions warning

I know this is probably even less than trivial to most, but...I have a brand new 2017 RX and when the outside temp drops to around 36 degrees, the info cluster on the dash provides a warning about icy roads possible and it gives an audible "ding." The ding is making me crazy. Does anyone know of a way to turn this sound off? - either myself or by the dealer? In winter, I get it every time I leave the house. My garage is always above freezing. I'm in the Northeast, so I drive a few minutes and the temp gets down to the warning level.

Thanks.
Old 01-17-17, 07:02 AM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by dougef
I know this is probably even less than trivial to most, but...I have a brand new 2017 RX and when the outside temp drops to around 36 degrees, the info cluster on the dash provides a warning about icy roads possible and it gives an audible "ding." The ding is making me crazy. Does anyone know of a way to turn this sound off? - either myself or by the dealer? In winter, I get it every time I leave the house. My garage is always above freezing. I'm in the Northeast, so I drive a few minutes and the temp gets down to the warning level.

Thanks.
I also find it very annoying, particularly when the ding happens, and by the time I am able to look down, it has disappeared from the HUD or info screen. So, many times I am not sure what caused the ding. It tends to happen when I am turning from our alley into a busy street, so I cannot immediately look at it. Wish the info screen had a list of past warnings...

I got a Carista system on their $30 after Christmas sale. I did not see a way to turn it off there. It allowed some other useful customizations like the number of flash when pulling the signal level down, reduce the audible buzzers when moving away from object, etc. You get a 1 month free which is probably sufficient to try out different settings.
Old 01-17-17, 07:27 AM
integroid
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am glad I am not the only one annoyed by it. I was going to ask the dealer when I brought it in for my first service.
Old 01-17-17, 07:55 AM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

+1. Very annoying. When I originally heard the ding, by the time I had figured out what display to look at it it had disappeared. I finally realized what it was after a few days.

It may be helpful in those areas that don't typically experience freezing temps. Here in Chicago I would prefer the message to read 'It's winter and the temps are above freezing!! Woohoo!!'
Old 01-18-17, 12:03 PM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

We currently don't have a way to turn off that ding, but we'll research it! This ding is supposed to be a safety feature, but it's only useful the first time it happens. After that, every day for the entire winter, you pretty much know that it's cold and the roads might be icy... so the ding is just an annoyance.
The following users liked this post:
bootman (01-20-17)
Old 01-18-17, 12:59 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Carista
We currently don't have a way to turn off that ding, but we'll research it! This ding is supposed to be a safety feature, but it's only useful the first time it happens. After that, every day for the entire winter, you pretty much know that it's cold and the roads might be icy... so the ding is just an annoyance.
You know what we really want?

The interior cabin is so beautiful at night. When you put the car into drive, the lights dim alot. I tried looking for some interior cabin lights setting to leave it bright when in drive and park but couldn't find anything. There are foot lights and a way to completely turn on or off the interior cabin but nothing where it should stay completely lit at night in drive! That would be awesome !
Old 01-18-17, 01:08 PM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
You know what we really want?

The interior cabin is so beautiful at night. When you put the car into drive, the lights dim alot. I tried looking for some interior cabin lights setting to leave it bright when in drive and park but couldn't find anything. There are foot lights and a way to completely turn on or off the interior cabin but nothing where it should stay completely lit at night in drive! That would be awesome !
I don't think that's adjustable, but I could be wrong. We'll look into that as well. Thanks for the suggestion
bootman (01-20-17)
Old 01-18-17, 09:03 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

I don't think that's adjustable, but I could be wrong. We'll look into that as well. Thanks for the suggestion
I do like Carista! May I offer another suggestion: the radio controls on the steering wheel for changing radio stations seems backward to me. If I press the ^ button, the station changes to the next lowest frequency station.. If I press down arrow, it changes to the next highest frequency station. To me this should be reversed.
Old 01-19-17, 11:13 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by lexnewbi
I do like Carista! May I offer another suggestion: the radio controls on the steering wheel for changing radio stations seems backward to me. If I press the ^ button, the station changes to the next lowest frequency station.. If I press down arrow, it changes to the next highest frequency station. To me this should be reversed.
They are changing your preset stations, not searching for different frequencies. At least that is how it is working for me. For example:

Preset 1: 97.7
Preset 2: 93.3
Preset 3: 106.1

When on #3 and pressing ^ , the station will be changed to #2. Makes sense to me.
Old 01-19-17, 03:14 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ericsan13
They are changing your preset stations, not searching for different frequencies. At least that is how it is working for me. For example:

When on #3 and pressing ^ , the station will be changed to #2. Makes sense to me.
I guess I have to reprogram all my presets in reverse order...
Old 01-20-17, 01:21 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Yeah, I don't think the direction of the presets is configurable. It's always weird with directional buttons. For example, when using "tiptronic" shifters, most people find it normal to go up a gear by moving the lever forward. But I find it natural to move it backward to move up a gear because that corresponds to moving along the same axis on a manual transmission. It's a matter of preference, I guess... and that's why more of those things should be made configurable by the manufacturer. Oh well, at least we can change A BUNCH of things with Carista that are otherwise locked for the consumer.
Old 01-20-17, 07:33 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13

Its weird though...when using an iPod that's plugged in, the button is reversed. So to go to the next track on the list, you press up, when on the screen it shows the next song being down the list.
Old 01-20-17, 08:21 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

No way to reset the service needed popup via OBD2 for those that do things themselves?
Old 01-23-17, 09:18 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bootman
No way to reset the service needed popup via OBD2 for those that do things themselves?
As far as we know, it's not possible via the OBD port. But it is possible via a sequence of button/stalk presses. I don't have the instructions, but I'm sure you can find them.
bootman (01-24-17)
Old 01-24-17, 06:47 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

As far as we know, it's not possible via the OBD port. But it is possible via a sequence of button/stalk presses. I don't have the instructions, but I'm sure you can find them.

Thanks found there here at a dealer site of all places after a quick search.

https://northparklexusatdominion.wor...nt-reqd-light/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Low Temp / Icy Conditions warning