RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

How to see the "check engine" light on a 2016 RX450h?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-17, 03:42 PM
relm1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to see the "check engine" light on a 2016 RX450h?

Hello,

I am a new owner of this wonderful car but it is quite sophisticated and I'm trying to learn the systems. I took it in to check smog check and the shop said they needed to see a "check engine" light. I showed him the exclamation light that I thought would work but is there a "check engine" specific light so I can show him the light is there? Strange question, I just couldn't find anything about this in the manual. The car was purchased out of state and I live in California so need to have this smog check to be able to register it to me.

Thank you
Old 01-15-17, 08:39 PM
riwyle
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by relm1
Hello,

I am a new owner of this wonderful car but it is quite sophisticated and I'm trying to learn the systems. I took it in to check smog check and the shop said they needed to see a "check engine" light. I showed him the exclamation light that I thought would work but is there a "check engine" specific light so I can show him the light is there? Strange question, I just couldn't find anything about this in the manual. The car was purchased out of state and I live in California so need to have this smog check to be able to register it to me.

Thank you
Does he want to see the check engine light illuminated to assure it hasn't been disconnected or tampered with?
The light, with the outline of an engine and in the US the word check under it ( Canada doesn't have "check") is located, along with other warning and indicator lights, below the speedometer. I am not sure, but you might get it and others to light by pushing the start button a few times without depressing the brake pedal. The engine will not start. The manual calls it a malfunction indicator light. Too cold to go outside to try on my car.
Old 01-15-17, 10:02 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I vote for another shop.
Old 01-16-17, 08:29 AM
relm1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by riwyle
Does he want to see the check engine light illuminated to assure it hasn't been disconnected or tampered with?
The light, with the outline of an engine and in the US the word check under it ( Canada doesn't have "check") is located, along with other warning and indicator lights, below the speedometer. I am not sure, but you might get it and others to light by pushing the start button a few times without depressing the brake pedal. The engine will not start. The manual calls it a malfunction indicator light. Too cold to go outside to try on my car.
Great, thank you! That solved the problem and I'm now happily smog certified.