RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

F-Sport AWD vs FWD worth the cost? Cabin and AC noise still?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-17, 10:48 AM
apex47
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-Sport AWD vs FWD worth the cost? Cabin and AC noise still?

Hi All,

I'm looking at ordering a 2017 RX 350 F-Sport. I just test drove it yesterday and love the vehicle. The vehicle I drove was AWD but initially I was intending to get the FWD version as it's +1k less and better in gas (by not much, 1 more mpg).

I live in San Diego so snow is really non-existent unless I'm going to the drive to mountains. The sales guy says pay the extra for AWD as you'll get better resale down the road and it just drives and moves better. Unfortunately they didn't have FWD available to drive. F-Sport owners, why did you end up getting FWD or AWD?

Any current 2017 owners also still getting the excessive cabin and vibration noises and also gurgling air conditioner noise lots have complained about? Sales guy says those were on 2016 but has since been resolved. One another thread some have actually reported '17s had the noises still. I'd hope to not spend 60k and regret it later.

I have a 2007 GS350 and had a baby recently so we need more room. I usually keep my cars for about 7-9 years. Thanks for any input.
Old 01-15-17, 01:18 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by apex47
Hi All,

I'm looking at ordering a 2017 RX 350 F-Sport. I just test drove it yesterday and love the vehicle. The vehicle I drove was AWD but initially I was intending to get the FWD version as it's +1k less and better in gas (by not much, 1 more mpg).

I live in San Diego so snow is really non-existent unless I'm going to the drive to mountains. The sales guy says pay the extra for AWD as you'll get better resale down the road and it just drives and moves better. Unfortunately they didn't have FWD available to drive. F-Sport owners, why did you end up getting FWD or AWD?

Any current 2017 owners also still getting the excessive cabin and vibration noises and also gurgling air conditioner noise lots have complained about? Sales guy says those were on 2016 but has since been resolved. One another thread some have actually reported '17s had the noises still. I'd hope to not spend 60k and regret it later.

I have a 2007 GS350 and had a baby recently so we need more room. I usually keep my cars for about 7-9 years. Thanks for any input.
I got the AWD because that was only offered in 2016.

Pros: Better handling in wet weather. IF I ever do decide to go to the mountains with snow, I can route power to all my wheels which provides better control. I actually did go to Mountain High recently and the car drove great. It's pretty much safer than FWD in bad weather which can happen with this weird winter we are having in so-cal. The vehicle is smart and normally just routes the power to the front of the wheels when driving daily.

Cons: A tad bit slower off the start. NO big deal. When replacing the tires, I have to replace all of them. In So-cal, I'd take the risk of getting a FWD car than an AWD due to the great weather. If you get a flat tire, you need to replace ALL of the tires... lol

Don't let the salesman make you buy something without trying the other first. I don't think you will feel much difference as the wheels normally route power to the front wheels only. I know when accelerating hard off a turn or in wet road conditions, the wheels grip better because of better traction.

If safety is a concern for you and you'd be ok with replacing all the tires if something came up (you're not poor and have the funds to spare), then go with AWD. I've driven a FWD vehicle for 12 years in Nor-cal and so-cal and have had only slight issues with wheel slippage but nothing dangerous. If you don't want to deal with the hassle of changing 4 tires if you get a flat, then go with the FWD.

Don't worry about resale value, it's pretty marginal.
The following users liked this post:
apex47 (01-15-17)
Old 01-15-17, 11:23 PM
apex47
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, never knew about the all tire replacement issue with AWD. I'm leaning towards the FWD just based on needs but I'll have to drive it.
Old 01-16-17, 09:45 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

For me living in the Northeast AWD is a must, it makes me feel better knowing that if my wife gets caught in bad weather she has AWD vs. FWD. However, even if I lived in a warmer climate, for the $1,000 premium I would get the the AWD, my thinking is this.

If I am financing, how much more over lets say a 60 month loan is it going to cost me. And on a lease the $1,000 is residualized anyway so IMO it's worth the peace of mind the AWD provides even if it was just in the rain..

Good Luck on your decision.

Last edited by JT4; 01-16-17 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-16-17, 12:28 PM
jcheng
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I got the FWD since I don't need AWD living in TX.

Driving them back to back, I couldn't tell any difference from vehicle dynamics and grip.

Resale for FWD is actually higher than AWD because of less moving parts and desirability.
Old 01-16-17, 01:51 PM
kmm
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Took the Prius in last week to the Toyota dealer for service (during the pouring rain), and got a 2017 FWD Highlander as a loaner. I have been thinking about trading the GS in on an RX350 but didn't know if I would be happy with FWD. Too slippery in the rain for me. If I go that route, it will be AWD. Plus-in CA, of you have a 4WD, you don't have to mount chains in the mountains.
Old 01-16-17, 02:07 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

AWD is still required to have chains in the mountains with snow.

It's not an independent 4wd vehicle but it does help with the snow ALOT. SO great for after the snow has been paved.
Old 01-17-17, 11:50 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by aznkorboi

It's not an independent 4wd vehicle but it does help with the snow ALOT. SO great for after the snow has been paved.
Depends, in Washington you just have to carry the chains in your car, instead of having to put them on to cross the passes. I believe it's the same is Req 2 in Cali:

" Requirement 2 (R-2): Chains are required on all vehicles except four-wheel-drive vehicles under 6,500 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on all four wheels. Chains for one set of drive wheels must be carried by four wheel-drive vehicles using snow tires."

The benefit is that you don't have to put on chains.
Old 01-17-17, 01:23 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Depends, in Washington you just have to carry the chains in your car, instead of having to put them on to cross the passes. I believe it's the same is Req 2 in Cali:

" Requirement 2 (R-2): Chains are required on all vehicles except four-wheel-drive vehicles under 6,500 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on all four wheels. Chains for one set of drive wheels must be carried by four wheel-drive vehicles using snow tires."

The benefit is that you don't have to put on chains.
Wait. Is it saying that AWD is 4WD and that we do not need chains, just have it in our car, if we have snow tires? I thought they just meant 4WD vehicles.
Old 01-17-17, 01:47 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 418 Posts

In Canada the choice is easy. We only get the AWD.

As far as chains and full-time AWD i must say that I've had a Venza with the same AWD and combined with snow ties it plows though fresh snow and even icy hills really good. We can not have chains or studded tires in southern Ontario.

This year I've tested the RX with about 12" of snow and it did really good.
Old 01-17-17, 01:59 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
In Canada the choice is easy. We only get the AWD.

As far as chains and full-time AWD i must say that I've had a Venza with the same AWD and combined with snow ties it plows though fresh snow and even icy hills really good. We can not have chains or studded tires in southern Ontario.

This year I've tested the RX with about 12" of snow and it did really good.
That's good to know! I was always afraid because it isn't a 4wd vehicle.
Old 01-17-17, 03:14 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Wait. Is it saying that AWD is 4WD and that we do not need chains, just have it in our car, if we have snow tires? I thought they just meant 4WD vehicles.
I am not familiar with Cali laws, but I suspect they would be the same as Washington. I am not a lawyer but here AWD is the same as 4WD. Just carry the chains around, you'll probably never use them.
The following users liked this post:
aznkorboi (01-17-17)
Old 01-17-17, 06:47 PM
kmm
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The California vehicle code section 605 defines tire traction devices as follows: " Tire Traction Devices are devices or mechanisms having a composition and design capable of improving vehicle traction, braking and cornering ability upon snow or ice-covered surfaces. Tire traction devices shall be constructed and assembled to provide sufficient structural integrity and to prevent accidental detachment from vehicles. Tire traction devices shall, at the time of manufacture or final assembly, bear a permanent impression indicating the name, initials or trademark of the assembling company or primary manufacturer, and the country in which the devices were manufactured or assembled in final form."

The Department of Transportation does not sell nor recommend specific brands of Tire Chains. It is best to check your vehicle manufacturers specifications for use of tire chains.
Types of Chain Controls

During the winter months motorists may encounter traction device controls in the mountain areas of California. When chain controls are established signs along side the road will be opened indicating the type of requirement. There are three requirements in California.

Requirement One (R1): Chains are required, snow tires are allowed.

Requirement Two (R2): Chains are required on all vehicles except four wheel drive vehicles
with snow tires on all four wheels.
(NOTE: Four wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas)

Requirement Three (R3): Chains are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.

My Note: Maybe M + S tires meet the "snow tire" requirement?