RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Personal RX350/450 Pros/Cons

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-17, 11:09 AM
trama09
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Personal RX350/450 Pros/Cons

Hey guys,

I'm interested in trading in my aging 2016 ES for a fully loaded 2017 RX350 or RX450 (both F Sport). What are some pros and cons you guys have with your RX?

Thanks
Old 01-01-17, 12:04 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Drive both & buy the one you like best. I prefer the Rx 350. Drove the NX, but after owning the RX, could not down size. Don't care for the interior of the F-Sport, love the Brown Interior w/Bamboo Trim on the Rx 350.
The following users liked this post:
trama09 (01-01-17)
Old 01-01-17, 12:52 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

No doubt you must drive both. The F Sports look good to some but check out the non F Sport models too. I picked the Luxury over the RX450 because I prefer a transmission with gears over the CVT. It is all personal preferences that you need to make.
trama09 (01-02-17)
Old 01-01-17, 04:29 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts
Talking

MMM. Fully loaded means FULLY loaded. I just woke up from a nap and I'm feeling type-y. Let's see what I got.
  • Heated Steering Wheel- Not a must. I actually don't use it much at all because it's weak and only heats up the 3 and 9 o clock positions. Save the 200 bens
  • F sport Package- Yes yes and more yes. As a young adult, I'd say this ups the looks compared to all the other RX's out there now. I love the rims as well.
  • Touch Free Rear Door- MMMMM. Maybe. I'll use it once in a while but I do find a use for it when my hands are completey full. I just made sure to max the sensitivity.
  • HUD- Amen brotha. Amen. Took some getting used to but now I'm always looking at it. It has the lane keep assist grids on there as well as the tach and speed. It shows the temperature when first starting the car, volume, directions in color for the nav (the few times I use the nav), and when the big ol red BRAKE pops up it really makes you hit the brakes!
  • Towing Prep Package- Yes. I wouldn't know it's necessary. Don't plan on towing but like the fact it has a larger alternator and radiator so I don't have to worry.
  • Mark Levinson Sound system- YAS! Wouldn't go home without it. I test drove and sat in a regular one for a long time. Perusing my itunes music and I have to say that I was disappointed it sounded so flat. The ML sounded pure and crisp with the low's a little lacking. After driving it for about a month, the sub broke in and brought new life into the sound system.
  • Lexus Safety+= Safety. It's not a Tesla but it helps keep me in my lane. Reminds me when I drift. It's also nice that I know the car will stop for me if I don't have the time or don't pay attention.
  • Pano Moon Roof- Love leaving it open. Love knowing that the people in the back have some added light. It's also really nice in general.
  • Pano View Monitor- I love it so much I can't even think about having a car without it. It helps parking and makes a big SUV like the RX easy to manage.
  • Mud Guards- Makes my car look wider and sportier
  • Illuminated Door Sills- Bought these on another website and installed them myself. It actually provides enough light for me to see near the bottom cubby and my feet. I love it!
  • Triple LED's- The only real reason I bought the car. I love it so much. Just raised a little so it shines further down the road and it's amazing.
  • THE RX 350- Tons of costco runs, golden retriever, 6'4; I love the handling, the space, and the vehicle itself. One con is 0-60 is weak but I can count only a few times I actually felt like I needed that speed right away.
trama09 (01-02-17)
Old 01-01-17, 07:47 PM
DennisK
Driver School Candidate

I went to my dealer fully committed to getting a 2017 F Sport. I prefer the looks off it slightly over the base RX. However, after a test drive it became evident that my wife did NOT like the side bolsters on the seats. We drove a fully loaded luxury model and bought it on the spot. So to answer your question, I guess the F Sport seats were a dislike.
The following 2 users liked this post by DennisK:
exonw (07-24-20), trama09 (01-02-17)
Old 01-02-17, 11:43 AM
trama09
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
MMM. Fully loaded means FULLY loaded. I just woke up from a nap and I'm feeling type-y. Let's see what I got.
  • Heated Steering Wheel- Not a must. I actually don't use it much at all because it's weak and only heats up the 3 and 9 o clock positions. Save the 200 bens
  • F sport Package- Yes yes and more yes. As a young adult, I'd say this ups the looks compared to all the other RX's out there now. I love the rims as well.
  • Touch Free Rear Door- MMMMM. Maybe. I'll use it once in a while but I do find a use for it when my hands are completey full. I just made sure to max the sensitivity.
  • HUD- Amen brotha. Amen. Took some getting used to but now I'm always looking at it. It has the lane keep assist grids on there as well as the tach and speed. It shows the temperature when first starting the car, volume, directions in color for the nav (the few times I use the nav), and when the big ol red BRAKE pops up it really makes you hit the brakes!
  • Towing Prep Package- Yes. I wouldn't know it's necessary. Don't plan on towing but like the fact it has a larger alternator and radiator so I don't have to worry.
  • Mark Levinson Sound system- YAS! Wouldn't go home without it. I test drove and sat in a regular one for a long time. Perusing my itunes music and I have to say that I was disappointed it sounded so flat. The ML sounded pure and crisp with the low's a little lacking. After driving it for about a month, the sub broke in and brought new life into the sound system.
  • Lexus Safety+= Safety. It's not a Tesla but it helps keep me in my lane. Reminds me when I drift. It's also nice that I know the car will stop for me if I don't have the time or don't pay attention.
  • Pano Moon Roof- Love leaving it open. Love knowing that the people in the back have some added light. It's also really nice in general.
  • Pano View Monitor- I love it so much I can't even think about having a car without it. It helps parking and makes a big SUV like the RX easy to manage.
  • Mud Guards- Makes my car look wider and sportier
  • Illuminated Door Sills- Bought these on another website and installed them myself. It actually provides enough light for me to see near the bottom cubby and my feet. I love it!
  • Triple LED's- The only real reason I bought the car. I love it so much. Just raised a little so it shines further down the road and it's amazing.
  • THE RX 350- Tons of costco runs, golden retriever, 6'4; I love the handling, the space, and the vehicle itself. One con is 0-60 is weak but I can count only a few times I actually felt like I needed that speed right away.
From one young adult to another - this is great! Thank you so much for your input. It sounds like we pretty much have the same taste and preference with all the options. And hearing thoughts for each option is thoroughly helpful. You got me amped now.

I'll be test driving them pretty soon!
Old 01-02-17, 01:08 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by trama09
From one young adult to another - this is great! Thank you so much for your input. It sounds like we pretty much have the same taste and preference with all the options. And hearing thoughts for each option is thoroughly helpful. You got me amped now.

I'll be test driving them pretty soon!
Lol. GOod luck. One thing that bummed me out was the blind spot monitoring doesn't beep or turn red when someone is in your blind spot and you're signaling. It just blinks yellow. Not a deal breaker. Others are having issues with vibrations. One way to test this is to put the car in drive, hold the brake, and rev the engine to 1,000-2,000 RPMs.

If you're going to custom order it, there's another thread on here as well to make sure you don't forget anything. Also, I was super picky with my first car purchase when the car arrived so I had specific instructions such as not taking off the protective covering, leaving the interior covering's on, making sure they were michellin tires, not having more than x number of miles on it, etc. It's in another thread.

We went for the Nebula Grey with Stratus Grey Interior and love it. The light grey matches the interior lights well and provides a nice contrast to the all black headliner. I also added Xpel ultimate to protect the paint from rock chips etc and tint. It's been fun. I also de-chromed the chrome with plasti dip and now it makes my car look more aggressive, sportier, and one of a kind. I get lots of comments on it.
Old 01-03-17, 11:57 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by trama09
Hey guys,

I'm interested in trading in my aging 2016 ES for a fully loaded 2017 RX350 or RX450 (both F Sport). What are some pros and cons you guys have with your RX?

Thanks
Check out this thread for common problems with RX:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ems-guide.html

There are a significant number of complaints about the jerky and hesitant transmission on the 350. I would test drive it thoroughly if you plan on getting the 350 instead of the 450h.