RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Windshield Leak Dripping from Microphone port

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-17, 12:13 AM
NORCAL415
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought I was the only Lexus owner with this problem. From replacing front windshield to new panoramic roof & many visits to the dealership. Car is processing for buy back with Lexus Corp, due to water leak.
The following users liked this post:
Tia515 (10-29-17)
Old 03-08-17, 10:42 PM
thebossac
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got my car (2017 RX350) back from the dealer for this same issue, water leak from the microphone port. They put it into the car wash for inspection and stated it was due to "excess clearance between sliding roof glass and sunroof opening causing water to leak in. Removed and replaced sliding roof glass panel and for tighter fitting seal." Hopefully it won't leak again.
Old 03-09-17, 07:52 AM
Darith
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by NORCAL415
Thought I was the only Lexus owner with this problem. From replacing front windshield to new panoramic roof & many visits to the dealership. Car is processing for buy back with Lexus Corp, due to water leak.
Wow, sorry to hear about this. I wonder how long the process for the buyback will take. Please keep us updated!
Old 03-10-17, 10:40 AM
clwu
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I just experienced this problem. Thankfully, it is a loaner.

Leak
Old 08-14-17, 10:37 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I saw this thread before. So I checked, my 2017 RX did not leak, at that time. Even I have not touched the sunroof for months, even it did not leak in some heavy downpours, it leaks today. The dealer said it was a sunroof problem.
Old 08-14-17, 12:57 PM
pqn628
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Lexus replaced my entire sunroof back in June when I experienced the issue.
Old 08-14-17, 08:27 PM
guxu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pqn628
Wow! I hope they fix it soon. I got a loaner with only 2,500 miles on it. But it is dirty and smells bad. Can't wait to have my RX back.

Mine is a regular RX with 3k miles. On the paper, they put a RX 350 F as my loaner. I thought I got a F Sport. But the F actually means FWD I guess.
Old 08-25-17, 11:42 AM
gte124w
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pqn628
Have you had heavy rain since?

I also had my sunroof replaced. Have had other dealers since tell me they think the problem is that there isn't enough clearance between where the drain is and how high the rim is around the drain, causing water to puddle over and come in.
Old 10-29-17, 09:59 AM
Tia515
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lexus buyback

Originally Posted by Darith
Wow, sorry to hear about this. I wonder how long the process for the buyback will take. Please keep us updated!

Hi, Darith;9796056:
How did you initiate your vehicle "buyback" process with Lexus?

Thanks,
Old 10-31-17, 10:35 PM
Jiggz858
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

I wonder if a commonality has been determined on these leaky roofs or windshields? Was it only on the 2016 4RX or also on the 2017 4RX? Is it only with those with regular sun roofs? Or also those with Panoramic roofs? What about VIN numbers, is it only on Japan assembled (JT series vin #) or Canada assembled (2T series vin #)? I might have to do a test on mine using a garden hose just to see if there is any leak from the mic. This is a serious concern.

Last edited by Jiggz858; 11-01-17 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-01-17, 04:00 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Jiggz858
I wonder if a commonality has been determined on these leaky roofs or windshields? Was it only on the 2016 4RX or also on the 2017 4RX? Is it only with those with regular sun roofs? Or also those with Panoramic roofs? What about VIN numbers, is it only on Japan assembled (JT series vin #) or Canada assembled (1T series vin #)? I might have to do a test on mine using a garden hose just to see if there is any leak from the mic. This is a serious concern.
It's not a serious concern if only a handful a people have the problem out of millions.

I have a 2016, pano roof with 2T as the vin from canada and zero issues!

Try the garden hose method and squeze water in as much as possible and see if it does anything.
Old 11-01-17, 06:47 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
It's not a serious concern if only a handful a people have the problem out of millions.

Try the garden hose method and squeze water in as much as possible and see if it does anything.
I had little concern when I first saw this thread. Mine was not leaking, and I had driven in heavy downpour for more than an hour. So I thought I was lucky, till one day, on my way to work, in just medium rain, I got the water on me
Old 11-01-17, 10:15 AM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by guxu
I had little concern when I first saw this thread. Mine was not leaking, and I had driven in heavy downpour for more than an hour. So I thought I was lucky, till one day, on my way to work, in just medium rain, I got the water on me
That sucks. We don't get very much rain in SoCal and my rides are always garage so I'm concerned that this may be an issue for me in the future. I may just park her outside during the next episode of rain to see what happens.
Old 11-01-17, 10:43 AM
Jiggz858
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by aznkorboi

How concerning an issue depends mainly on two things: Gravity of the issue and then the quantity or number of those affected. In this particular case, the former is the reason I personally believe it is a serious concern. Maybe not for few people especially those who don't mind driving in the rain with their roof off. But for me, water intrusion in a brand new $60K car is a very serious concern. And yes I will try the garden hose test just to make sure it doesn't leak in the rain. I wonder how much water has to leak before it starts showing on the overhead mic?
Old 11-01-17, 11:28 AM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Jiggz858
How concerning an issue depends mainly on two things: Gravity of the issue and then the quantity or number of those affected. In this particular case, the former is the reason I personally believe it is a serious concern. Maybe not for few people especially those who don't mind driving in the rain with their roof off. But for me, water intrusion in a brand new $60K car is a very serious concern. And yes I will try the garden hose test just to make sure it doesn't leak in the rain. I wonder how much water has to leak before it starts showing on the overhead mic?
You're right.

I wonder if hybrids are at greater risk!

Quick Reply: Windshield Leak Dripping from Microphone port