RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Heated Seats and Steering Wheel not that Warm

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-16, 10:52 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by computerwi
This has been an on-going issue with recent Lexus models. There are similar threads in the IS and NX forums. Most people will bring it to the dealer who will say things are "in-spec". It's just a design choice that Lexus made. Realistically, warmth is a subjective thing and for some, it just isn't going to be warm enough. It is annoying that the steering wheel is not heated around it's full circumference though.
IMO it's stupid that it is a $200 option that barely does anything. Way beyond annoying. If I knew it was this weak I wouldn't have gotten the option.
Old 12-12-16, 03:59 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

What's really stupid is that Lexus doesn't heat the whole wheel even if you don't have the wood trim. Same problem on the IS and NX, neither of which have wooden trims on the wheel.
Old 01-14-17, 07:28 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
IMO it's stupid that it is a $200 option that barely does anything. Way beyond annoying. If I knew it was this weak I wouldn't have gotten the option.
Ok, so after a cold spell here for the past month (and 2 months of ownership), I change my opinion and the steering wheel heat is actually much weaker than my IS and previous NX. I will definitely be making a trip to the dealer to check things out.
Old 01-14-17, 07:38 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

We get this as part of the higher grades in Canada. It's really useless.i can gallery fell the heat.
Old 01-15-17, 11:30 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by computerwi
Ok, so after a cold spell here for the past month (and 2 months of ownership), I change my opinion and the steering wheel heat is actually much weaker than my IS and previous NX. I will definitely be making a trip to the dealer to check things out.
Dealer will likely compare it to another RX, declare it to be operating normally, and then send you on your way. They really didn't care that it was warmer in other vehicles for me. Please let us know if you get a resolution from them that will help us. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (01-16-17)
Old 01-16-17, 02:19 PM
subaruwrx
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My dealer tells me these seats are designed to reach max 25 deg C. 25 degrees is much lower than any other cars I've owned from WRX, ML350, E400, 320i, A6 from MY2002 to MY2014, and feels lukewarm at best.
Old 01-26-17, 04:16 PM
subaruwrx
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just checked with Lexus. These seats have thermostats/sensors that controls the temp. On max setting they should be around 38 deg C give or take. This data can easily be read from OBD. When dealer says it is operating within spec ask them to show readouts from techstream. Also have them measure the surface temp with IR thermometer. I bet you the temp will be around 26 even on max setting which is lower than your body temp.
Old 01-26-17, 04:49 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by subaruwrx
Just checked with Lexus. These seats have thermostats/sensors that controls the temp. On max setting they should be around 38 deg C give or take. This data can easily be read from OBD. When dealer says it is operating within spec ask them to show readouts from techstream. Also have them measure the surface temp with IR thermometer. I bet you the temp will be around 26 even on max setting which is lower than your body temp.
Does the same apply to the steering wheel?
Old 02-13-17, 08:45 PM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have test driven a 2016 on 2 separate occasions now, and one of the items that is holding me back from trading my 2013 - which I love, is the performance of the heaters ...i mean warmers in the seats and steering wheel...In the 2013, both work very well but in the 2016, I could barely feel the difference between full on and off. So if the 2017 appears to suffer the same fate, I won't be getting one....I have some arthritis in my back and the heat makes all the difference to me...even my 2015 Sienna has wonderful heat in both the steering wheel and seats. I am extremely disappointed with Lexus. Guess it is time to start shopping for a different brand - sad because i have been with them since 2003. They have stopped listening. I wonder which bonehead made the decision to reduce the heating?

dentate
Oshawa, ON &
Port Charlotte, FL
Old 02-14-17, 04:34 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Sounds like Lexus has changed and has capped the temps for some reason.
Old 02-14-17, 04:41 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by dentate
I have test driven a 2016 on 2 separate occasions now, and one of the items that is holding me back from trading my 2013 - which I love, is the performance of the heaters ...i mean warmers in the seats and steering wheel...In the 2013, both work very well but in the 2016, I could barely feel the difference between full on and off. So if the 2017 appears to suffer the same fate, I won't be getting one....I have some arthritis in my back and the heat makes all the difference to me...even my 2015 Sienna has wonderful heat in both the steering wheel and seats. I am extremely disappointed with Lexus. Guess it is time to start shopping for a different brand - sad because i have been with them since 2003. They have stopped listening. I wonder which bonehead made the decision to reduce the heating?

dentate
Oshawa, ON &
Port Charlotte, FL
Well for me , weak warmers are NOT a deal breaker. lol. Use the app and preheat the car early!

I'd rather have weak seat warmers/hand warmers than an engine that requires way more expensive maintenance and is a headache!

I bet it's the japanese dainty hands they thought it was PLENTY warm lol. Which is weird since they should be drinking tons of tea.
Old 02-15-17, 10:42 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
I bet it's the japanese dainty hands they thought it was PLENTY warm lol. Which is weird since they should be drinking tons of tea.
LOL...off topic but couldn't you say the same about Koreans?
Old 02-15-17, 11:42 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I thought the steering wheel heat was weak too, then the tech showed me the low/med/high on nav screen. I keep it on medium now and much better.
Old 02-15-17, 01:00 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by Bearcat
I thought the steering wheel heat was weak too, then the tech showed me the low/med/high on nav screen. I keep it on medium now and much better.
Can you please elaborate? I don't see anything in climate control that is specifically for the steering wheel.
Old 02-15-17, 02:25 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Can you please elaborate? I don't see anything in climate control that is specifically for the steering wheel.
It does not.

Quick Reply: Heated Seats and Steering Wheel not that Warm