RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2017 iihs top safety pick +

Old 03-19-17, 08:07 PM
Curryolla
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jaymk
I can't find the screws to adjust the lights.
Can somebody please help or post a photo of where the screws are located?
I even took the cover off but still was not able to find it.
Thank You.
NOTE: This is only for models with Triple Beam Headlights...

When you open your hood, you will see these this:

You want to stick a flat head screw driver down the slot labeled UD, circled in red below:

When you look down that hole, here is what you see:

With the cover removed, and a better picture, you can see the screw and the channel that guides your screw driver. Follow the channel (red arrow), to the screw (red box) and turn. I think (and I could be wrong) that right is up and left is down. See below:
I hope that helps!
The following 3 users liked this post by Curryolla:
ericsan13 (03-20-17), jaymk (03-21-17), StephyKay (03-19-17)
Old 03-20-17, 12:52 AM
CaliTravel
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you look at the Lexus Europe website it specifically says the headlights have 11 independent LED chips for precise control of the illuminated and non-illuminated areas. Meaning similar to Audi and BMW the headlights can bend themselves around oncoming traffic. I know due to US regulations this is not allowed on US models. Does anyone know if this is just a software fix? Or if it is an entirely different headlight. This is similar to the sequential LED turn signals.

Old 03-21-17, 09:42 AM
jaymk
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank You Curryolla,
I really appreciate your detailed explanation.
I will give it a try today or tomorrow.
Thanks once again and have a wonderful day !
Old 03-22-17, 06:00 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

can someone post a picture of the tool you used to adjust this please ?
Old 03-22-17, 07:04 PM
jaymk
Pit Crew

I used something like this. Make sure it is long. You may have it in your tool box.
Old 03-22-17, 07:05 PM
jaymk
Pit Crew

I just did mine with the help from Curryolla's pictures.
Your pictures really helped and made the procedure a breeze.
Thank You once again.
The following users liked this post:
Curryolla (03-22-17)
Old 03-22-17, 07:09 PM
jaymk
Pit Crew

Just a quick tip for the people that are adjusting the aim of the their headlights.
I was able to do it without passing the screwdriver through the hole.
There is big enough gap and if the screwdriver handle is not big it should be fine.
Thank You.
Old 03-22-17, 08:34 PM
Curryolla
Driver

Originally Posted by jaymk
I just did mine with the help from Curryolla's pictures.
Your pictures really helped and made the procedure a breeze.
Thank You once again.
Glad I could help! And yes, at least on my RX 450h, you can adjust the driver side with just your hand if you choose. However, the passenger side has the windshield wiper fluid filler in the way and requires the screw driver. Overall, really easy to do and extremely recommended for better visibility.
Old 03-22-17, 08:49 PM
Curryolla
Driver

Originally Posted by CaliTravel
If you look at the Lexus Europe website it specifically says the headlights have 11 independent LED chips for precise control of the illuminated and non-illuminated areas. Meaning similar to Audi and BMW the headlights can bend themselves around oncoming traffic. I know due to US regulations this is not allowed on US models. Does anyone know if this is just a software fix? Or if it is an entirely different headlight. This is similar to the sequential LED turn signals.

Sorry for not replying earlier, I was hoping someone would have more information than me...

I'm under the assumption this is a combination of both different hardware and software. In the UK at least, I know that you can get the RX in Luxury Trim with only Automatic High Beam (ABH). But, if you get the Premier Trim, you get Adaptive (or Active) High Beam (ADH). So, I think it uses both different hardware and software (camera recognition) to function correctly. I hate the current US Regulations for Headlights and Side Mirrors!!! Looking forward to the day I can buy a car with Matrix Laser/LED Headlights and virtual side view mirrors.

Anyone from Europe or Japan know what's up? I'm kind of curious too. May we should contact North American Lighting, Inc. (the US division of Koito Group Company who manufactures these headlight units).
Old 09-17-17, 06:19 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

sorry if this is a dumb question, potential owner, still in the research phase.. i thought the 3 beam was a better headlight, getting light down the road. keeping looks of the triple out of it, is that not the case compared to the adaptive projector ?? also is the projector led or hid ?? i have heard both from a sales person. i would like to know the light performance triple vs adaptive projector. down the road, usable light.
Learning options add up quickly, lol debating a loaded 17 350 and 450. thanks so very much for the time!!

my 16 fjr motorcycle has the led headlights, and they are very nice compared to bulbs.
Old 09-17-17, 06:56 AM
Curryolla
Driver

Originally Posted by JSracer
sorry if this is a dumb question, potential owner, still in the research phase.. i thought the 3 beam was a better headlight, getting light down the road. keeping looks of the triple out of it, is that not the case compared to the adaptive projector ?? also is the projector led or hid ?? i have heard both from a sales person. i would like to know the light performance triple vs adaptive projector. down the road, usable light.
Learning options add up quickly, lol debating a loaded 17 350 and 450. thanks so very much for the time!!

my 16 fjr motorcycle has the led headlights, and they are very nice compared to bulbs.
The Triple Beam is supposed to be the better headlight...but IIHS testing shows that it is not as good as the Bi-LED Projector Beam. See this link: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...-door-suv/2017

Personally, I and several others here have been able to adjust our Triple Beam Lights and the results are really good. To answer your questions:
(1) According to IIHS, Bi-LED Headlamps with Adaptive Front Lighting System package are the best rated Acceptable, The Triple Beams are rated Marginal.
(2) The single projector beam is LED. Not HID.
(3) Light Performance (technical numbers with minimum useful light output of 5 lux) are provided on the IIHS link above. Summary, on the straightaway, the Projector can do 135.4 meters, and the Triple Beam can do 69.7 meters. Note that these are for the low-beams where high beams are similar at 145 meters.

Pros of the Triple Beams:
(1) They look great!!!
(2) Package Includes Full LED Headlights with LED Turn Signals
(3) Package Includes Full LED Taillights with LED Turn Signals
(4) Package Includes LED Cornering Lights located near the fog lamps.
(5) Less Glare. Others on the forum fave mentioned getting flashed by other drivers with the projector beam. IIHS also shows that the projector as some glare.

Cons of Triple Beams:
(1) Cost
(2) No Adaptive Function
(3) Poor Performance (unless you adjust them)

Finally, if you can...get the Hybrid. My RX 450h has ruined gasoline-only cars for me!
Old 09-18-17, 03:54 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

thanks, going today to drive the 450. i have seen some here say they with they got the 450, not sure i have seen 450 guys wish they got the gas only.
wow, the projector per their numbers is double the distance at low beam, kinda crazy for the upgrade price the performance is worse. but if people are being flashed, could be the projector is higher than the led, would make sense. as far as adjustment, is it as easy as raising the bucket a few turns, then does the angle adjustment work as intended after that also??

so full led with the triple, aren't the other signals and stuff led also with the projector ??
al are the adjusted triple comparable to the projector for putting light down the road ?? or is the projector a better functioning unit. (looks alone its an easy choice for me, but i would love some great headlights finally.)
thanks so much for the time !!
Old 09-18-17, 10:50 AM
Curryolla
Driver

Originally Posted by JSracer
thanks, going today to drive the 450. i have seen some here say they with they got the 450, not sure i have seen 450 guys wish they got the gas only.
wow, the projector per their numbers is double the distance at low beam, kinda crazy for the upgrade price the performance is worse. but if people are being flashed, could be the projector is higher than the led, would make sense. as far as adjustment, is it as easy as raising the bucket a few turns, then does the angle adjustment work as intended after that also??

so full led with the triple, aren't the other signals and stuff led also with the projector ??
al are the adjusted triple comparable to the projector for putting light down the road ?? or is the projector a better functioning unit. (looks alone its an easy choice for me, but i would love some great headlights finally.)
thanks so much for the time !!
I do believe the projector beam is angled a little higher than the triple-beam. This is similar to the Prius. The 2016 headlight was raised up for the 2017 MY.

Instructions for adjustments are in this thread with pictures. It is really simple and only requires a screw-driver. And yes, the auto-leveling function still works after the adjustments. From what I can tell, I don't believe the turn signals are LED on the projector version. I am 100% sure the turn signals in the rear are not LED unless you get the Triple Beams. See these links:
https://lexusenthusiast.com/images/w...4QBWRIwue1.jpg
https://lexusenthusiast.com/images/w...60UFx8ia1z.jpg
https://lexusenthusiast.com/images/w...TugZm174Y.webp
https://lexusenthusiast.com/images/w...iG2zn8ECF.webp

As for which is better at putting light down the road...I can't tell you. I've never driven an RX with projectors (at least not a night). I can say that the triple beam has a very wide spread of light. On a road trip to Texas, I noticed that my headlights (even before adjustment) would span all 7 lanes of the highway!
The following users liked this post:
JSracer (09-19-17)