RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2017 iihs top safety pick +

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-16, 01:51 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

Not sure if it matters but on the manual it states how to adjust the headlight aim only for the SINGLE beam headlights. I could find no reference to the triple beams. However, on the black plastic piece there are holes to adjust the triple beams. I haven't actually tried it yet. If I had a good wall/garage I'd do it already but it's going to have to wait.
Old 12-14-16, 03:41 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Curryolla
This is what I found in the manual, but it would make sense to respond to bumps. But, yeah....does anyone know how it really works?

I suspect, based on lexnewbi's post above, that when we can in fact adjust slightly lower using the 2 screws, that we set a new default setting for what the RX judges as being a normal level. So, once lowered a mite, the auto-leveling systems then considers that new setting as the new normal. Just MHO.
Old 12-15-16, 02:54 PM
MConte05
Driver School Candidate

Received 22 Likes on 3 Posts

I posted this in another thread, but it relates to this:

First post here, but I'll introduce myself. I am an optical design engineer for Diode Dynamics, and spend most of my time designing LED projector systems. Looking into an RX350 for my wife, and decided I should do some emperical testing to see if the Triple Beam stuff was worth the option. I had the dealer I'm working with grab a standard RX and one with the Triple Beam. Brought my lux-meter that I use at work to measure the light output at the same location and a few test points on a darkened wall about 50' away to see if there was a noticeable improvement or not over the standard RX headlights.

The standard ones are some of the best on the market. Kioto Bi-LED units that I consider the gold standard right now for OEMs. I've reverse engineered the exact same projector for future products, and evaluated a bunch of others. So I was curious to see how much better the premium is. So when you measure light output, the quick and dirty way is to get the lux reading, basically the light intensity per a unit of area. I measured the standard RX and got the following:

Hotspot (brightest area at the center of the beam) = 350 lux
40* off angle, aka your width = 20 lux (very impressive)
20* off angle, aka picking up objects on the side of the road = 50 lux

Then went and got the car with the triple beam headlights. Results were surprising:

Hotspot = 230 lux
40* off angle = 12 lux (most of it ambient lighting)
20* off angle = 25 lux

So all in all, the standard Bi-LED units are actually fantastic, and the only reason to upgrade to the triple beam is for the styling choice. You'll actually lose output and overall beam width compared to the standard.

Hope this is useful info for anyone in the future!
I do have some qualms with how IIHS rates the headlights because they don't aim before the test. It's something that I believe a lot of dealers are requested to do during a PDR, but I doubt most do. Trucks are notoriously bad for this. They are usually intentionally aimed down from the factory not only for the 2* down requirement from FMVSS, but also because they often assume that you'll be towing, or have a load in the bed so the headlights are aimed lower than when it's typically driven (and how IIHS is testing). Therefore IIHS is giving almost every single truck a terrible rating. I have a feeling that either headlights will be aimed from the factory, or more auto-leveling will become standard in the very near future.

As for the RX, the Kioto Bi-LED that is in the standard are fantastic. They are actually the best rated headlight projector by IIHS. The same ones used in the Prius V. Which is also why I have qualms about the IIHS testing. Exact same internal unit, same driven power, but different results on different cars, mostly because of the minute difference in headlight aim.

However the triple beam LED is clearly a downgrade in performance, and more of a styling upgrade. I do love the way they look, but if the standard one is going to be 30% brighter where it counts, and 50% brighter in the width areas, I know where I'll save my money.
The following 4 users liked this post by MConte05:
apex47 (01-17-17), aznkorboi (12-15-16), Curryolla (12-16-16), ericsan13 (12-16-16)
Old 12-15-16, 04:31 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by MConte05
I posted this in another thread, but it relates to this:
That is disheartening, we paid a lot more for the triple beam thinking the extra beams would provide more light and wider coverage, but get significantly less light and less coverage...
Old 12-15-16, 05:04 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexnewbi
That is disheartening, we paid a lot more for the triple beam thinking the extra beams would provide more light and wider coverage, but get significantly less light and less coverage...

This sucks.. I thought it would be brighter as well. This means even if we angle it higher, the light output still won't be much farther.
Old 12-16-16, 09:14 AM
Curryolla
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MConte05
However the triple beam LED is clearly a downgrade in performance, and more of a styling upgrade. I do love the way they look, but if the standard one is going to be 30% brighter where it counts, and 50% brighter in the width areas, I know where I'll save my money.
Well, darn and blast! That is extremely disappointing. I saw two other RXs yesterday with Triple Beams on the road and could not stop staring! At least they look really good, right?

I wonder how Toyota/Lexus/Kioto specs out their lights? From what I have been able to gather, both the bi-LED and the Triple Beams are manufactured by Kioto. Go figure why they differ so much! This video shows the lights being build for the NX (at 1:10-1:11 mark). Really cool stuff, but such a shame!

Last edited by Curryolla; 12-16-16 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Added video time.
Old 01-17-17, 10:10 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

I thought I posted this already... In the rating, the bi-led's have some glare where as the triple has none. I thought, what if I increased the angle of the headlights a bit higher so it shines further up the road? I did and now there is much more visibility. Also, although the headlights do not move side to side, I found that the triple beams have a very wide angle of light. It can light up 7 lanes on the freeway on its own.
Old 01-17-17, 07:22 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
I thought I posted this already... In the rating, the bi-led's have some glare where as the triple has none. I thought, what if I increased the angle of the headlights a bit higher so it shines further up the road? I did and now there is much more visibility. Also, although the headlights do not move side to side, I found that the triple beams have a very wide angle of light. It can light up 7 lanes on the freeway on its own.
I also raised them a little (2 full turns counter clockwise) and improved my visibility. I probable need to raise them a little more. How much did you end up raising them?
Old 02-20-17, 06:25 PM
jaymk
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I took off the engine cover on top of the headlight but cannot find the adjustment screws.
I have the triple led headlights.
Any help would be highly appreciated.
Thank You.
Old 02-21-17, 03:52 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Good news on the safety.

I could not be more happy with my triple beams. Maybe they could be adjusted up a little but on high beams they are very good in my opinion.
Old 03-13-17, 11:34 AM
Curryolla
Driver

I just took my RX 450h with triple beams to the dealership for its 5k service. I had the headlights adjusted up. Not sure how many turns they did, but I requested 3 turns and/or that the cut-off matches the standard RX. Either way, I know know how to change it myself...so I will be able to adjust them if they are too low or high. Attached photos show the original cut-off (blue tape) and the new cut-off. Both the headlights are about 5 feet from the wall. Not too helpful...I know. But, I'll report back the next time I drive the car at night. Just going to wait for this now storm to pass first!!!

Still looking good!

Driver Side:

Passenger Side:
Old 03-13-17, 12:16 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

I just took my RX 450h with triple beams to the dealership for its 5k service. I had the headlights adjusted up. Not sure how many turns they did, but I requested 3 turns and/or that the cut-off matches the standard RX. Either way, I know know how to change it myself...so I will be able to adjust them if they are too low or high. Attached photos show the original cut-off (blue tape) and the new cut-off. Both the headlights are about 5 feet from the wall. Not too helpful...I know. But, I'll report back the next time I drive the car at night. Just going to wait for this now storm to pass first!!!

Still looking good!

Driver Side:

Passenger Side:
Nice. Make sure you drive it on the road. I found out that when I adjusted mine it looked perfect parking. Then I went to drive and the auto level adjusted it super high. I was high beaming everyone. I had to readjust it and test and now it's perfect.
The following users liked this post:
Curryolla (03-13-17)
Old 03-13-17, 12:28 PM
Curryolla
Driver

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
Nice. Make sure you drive it on the road. I found out that when I adjusted mine it looked perfect parking. Then I went to drive and the auto level adjusted it super high. I was high beaming everyone. I had to readjust it and test and now it's perfect.
Yep! That's the plan! I hope it's not too high, but I'll report back after driving at night.
Old 03-19-17, 06:46 PM
Curryolla
Driver

Yep! That's the plan! I hope it's not too high, but I'll report back after driving at night.
A So far, after a few night drives, I have yet to get flashed. The driver side is only 3 turns higher, the passenger side is 6-7 turns higher or so. Either way, this seems to be the go to combination and (I believe) what aznkorboi did as well.

The lights on low beam are able to light up the speed limit signs really well. Driving down the road, the cut off is just below the windshield cowl on a Mercedes C-Class and an Infiniti Q50 that passed in the other lane. And, with the car following me in my other sedan, it did not blind me from behind. So, all in all, I'm pleased with the new position!
Old 03-19-17, 07:15 PM
jaymk
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I can't find the screws to adjust the lights.
Can somebody please help or post a photo of where the screws are located?
I even took the cover off but still was not able to find it.
Thank You.

Quick Reply: 2017 iihs top safety pick +