RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Lexus OEM Roof Rack Cross Bars are pretty poor

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-16, 11:32 AM
WineGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexus OEM Roof Rack Cross Bars are pretty poor

I ordered my 2016 RX350 with a set of Lexus OEM Roof Rack Cross Bars. According to the brochure, "the cross bars are easily adjustable when cargo-carrying needs change." Let me warn everyone that this is far from the truth. First of all, unlike every other rack I've ever seen, the Cross Bars will only install in in limited locations. The attachment mechanism employs screws to set the position, and there are only three hole options for the front bar and there is no option for the rear one. Not only is choice of spacing limited, the holes are set such that the bars cannot be set very far forward nor toward the rear. Second, the bar mounting / adjustment is far from "easy". A special tool is required and is quite a chore; the service person who I asked to make adjustments at my 5K service told me that he hopes that is the last one of those he ever has to deal with. Bottom line, I would strongly recommend that you pick almost any other option, and not get the expensive (I paid almost $400) and poor OEM version.
Old 12-01-16, 04:05 PM
Steven79
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the heads up.
Old 12-02-16, 11:58 AM
emildzheb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey i just bought roof rack today for my f post founded much cheaper then original
http://www.asgautosports.com/store/s...uct=250&cart=y

and here is a coupon code bf10 for extra 10%off
enjoy i hope i helped
Old 12-04-16, 10:45 PM
WineGuy
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=emildzheb;9696030]hey i just bought roof rack today for my f post founded much cheaper then original

EMILDZHEB - Do they remedy the adjustability problem, or do they just create the same problem at a cheaper price? The problem with placement is created by a combination of the attachment mechanism in the Cross Bars (screws engaged with a special tool) and the holes into which the screws engage located in the Roof Rails. If these are the same Cross Bars or attach using the same limited holes in the Roof Rails, this doesn't fix anything...
Old 12-25-16, 01:08 AM
emildzheb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=WineGuy;9697845]
Originally Posted by emildzheb
hey i just bought roof rack today for my f post founded much cheaper then original

EMILDZHEB - Do they remedy the adjustability problem, or do they just create the same problem at a cheaper price? The problem with placement is created by a combination of the attachment mechanism in the Cross Bars (screws engaged with a special tool) and the holes into which the screws engage located in the Roof Rails. If these are the same Cross Bars or attach using the same limited holes in the Roof Rails, this doesn't fix anything...

hey they go inside the original hole they pretty good no complain i got them for the look i am not really putting anything on my room but i had then since the day i posted comment so far so good
Old 01-10-17, 07:03 AM
jester1
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My old LX 470 had cross racks that made a annoying lot of wind noise while driving.