RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Auto High Beam Disappears

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-16, 05:41 AM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Auto High Beam Disappears

Hello All,

I have the triple beam LED not sure if this helps, but everyeonce in a while the "Auto" high beam light will disappear while driving at night. Pushing the button on the left to activate will not turn it back on and also i have confirmed the stock is in high beam mode.

It seems the only way to get it to come back to turn the car off and back on. Then when it restarts all the 3 green lights turn on. Fogs, auto, and headlamps. Anyone else encounter this?

So weird my 2010 RX had Auto and never had an issue with this system in all 6 years. On the 2016 this is the 2nd time the Auto"" green indicator has disappeared from the dash while driving.

Note: I am sure the auto function and lights are in proper config as when I power cycle the car the Auto indicator returns.
Old 09-28-16, 10:55 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

OK! It's super easy.

STEP 1- Ensure the auto high beam button is depressed on your left
STEP 2- Ensure the headlight and signal light lever is DEPRESSED AWAY from you
STEP 2.5- Ensure that the headlights are either on ON, or AUTO and they are ON
STEP 3- When the lights are on you should see those 3 green lights indicating, HEADLIGHT, FOGLIGHT, and AUTO HIGH BEAM IS Active or ON. When the high beam is actually on you will see the blue high beam.

This is how easy it should be. If you followed those steps exactly it should work fine. Even when it is daytime and your headlights are switched to ON you will still see the green AUTO high beam indicator.

If you are still having these issues take it to the dealer!
Old 11-23-16, 10:22 PM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by satnav
Hello All,

I have the triple beam LED not sure if this helps, but everyeonce in a while the "Auto" high beam light will disappear while driving at night. Pushing the button on the left to activate will not turn it back on and also i have confirmed the stock is in high beam mode.

It seems the only way to get it to come back to turn the car off and back on. Then when it restarts all the 3 green lights turn on. Fogs, auto, and headlamps. Anyone else encounter this?

So weird my 2010 RX had Auto and never had an issue with this system in all 6 years. On the 2016 this is the 2nd time the Auto"" green indicator has disappeared from the dash while driving.

Note: I am sure the auto function and lights are in proper config as when I power cycle the car the Auto indicator returns.
Did you ever figure out what's going on? I've actually noticed this too on my car.

As far as AZNKORBOI's response, we're not confused about how to activate auto high beams. It's as satnav described. The system buttons and switches are where they need to be to activate the auto beams but every now and again as you're driving the auto high beam feature (green light between auto headlights and fog lights) disappears even when you don't touch the auto high beam button or the high beam stock. Weird. I can only guess that it's due to certain driving conditions, road conditions, or maybe the camera is dirty or windshield is dirty that is causing the system to turn off the auto high beam feature.
Old 11-29-16, 11:24 AM
jackgong
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed the same on my RX350 recently. AUTO indicator randomly turns off for a short period of time and then turns back on by its own. Not sure why?
Old 11-29-16, 12:26 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Maybe the windshield is too dirty for the camera to detect vehicles, so it disables it when it isn't able to detect vehicles properly?
Old 12-07-16, 12:44 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

I've had the same experience as "Jackgong" above posting, "Auto" symbol on the speedometer seems to have a mind of it's own and comes and goes....
Old 12-07-16, 07:18 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Yeah people believe me ! haha, but also sorry to hear. Yup mine does it too still and comes back after driving a bit. No matter what sequence with playing with the lights I am not able to have "Auto" return at my command. If I want it back I must turn the engine off then back on. It does return on its own too when driving after awhile. I have not been able to figure out what is causing it.

Lexus dealer said no codes/errors and operating correctly. Which is BS to me since I have a video showing that it is not operating correctly; i think they should at least concur their is a problem since they cannot provide me a technical reason why the "Auto" disappears. Ie dirty windscreen or something.

If anyone has a solution please let us know!

* Also i had this feature in my 2010 without issue it never had any problems such as described in this thread so I am also very familiar on how to use Auto High beams in Lexus.
Old 02-14-17, 09:45 AM
RLM
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Auto High Beams turning Off by itself

2016 450RH,

I leave the high beams auto icon switch engaged all the time. So when I drive the 450h at night the high beams go on and go off automatically.

I do not have to turn it on every time I drive the car.

What I notice is that sometimes when the high beams go off with on coming traffic, the AUTO Icon disengages.

It looks like the Auto High Beam system has turned itself off.

Sometimes it will reengage the ICON reappears and the High Beams come on.

I told Lexus service about this and they verified that is what happening.

They are trying to understand if this normal operation.

Sometimes I have to restart the High Beam Auto function.

Is this the way it is suppose to operate.

Comments.
Old 02-14-17, 05:51 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RLM
2016 450RH,

I leave the high beams auto icon switch engaged all the time. So when I drive the 450h at night the high beams go on and go off automatically.

I do not have to turn it on every time I drive the car.

What I notice is that sometimes when the high beams go off with on coming traffic, the AUTO Icon disengages.

It looks like the Auto High Beam system has turned itself off.

Sometimes it will reengage the ICON reappears and the High Beams come on.

I told Lexus service about this and they verified that is what happening.

They are trying to understand if this normal operation.

Sometimes I have to restart the High Beam Auto function.

Is this the way it is suppose to operate.

Comments.
I don't think so.

I have a clean windshield and have had my auto high beams on for about a month now. The green AUTO light has never gone off. What will go off is the high beam when there is traffic or a red light. A few of us believe that the auto high beam disappears when something may be dirty or blocking the sensor? Not sure. I have had it randomly disappear before. Hasn't done it much lately.
Old 02-25-17, 06:02 PM
mnemons
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine has been turned off by itself many times. For instance, tonight, for a 50 miles road trip, auto high beam turned itself off at least 7 times. I had to manually re-active it every time in order to see the AutoHighBeam Icon show up on the dashboard. Twice, I could not even re-active it immediately. I had to do the sequence again and again in order to reactive it.
Old 02-25-17, 07:12 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mnemons
Mine has been turned off by itself many times. For instance, tonight, for a 50 miles road trip, auto high beam turned itself off at least 7 times. I had to manually re-active it every time in order to see the AutoHighBeam Icon show up on the dashboard. Twice, I could not even re-active it immediately. I had to do the sequence again and again in order to reactive it.
the real question is why???

I wish I knew
The following users liked this post:
satnav (02-26-17)
Old 02-26-17, 01:37 AM
Andersaa
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

The auto high beams Will engage high beam only at speeds abowe 21 MPH, and disengage high beam when retarding to speed less than 17 MPH.
Old 02-26-17, 04:12 AM
mnemons
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Andersaa
The auto high beams Will engage high beam only at speeds abowe 21 MPH, and disengage high beam when retarding to speed less than 17 MPH.
When the speed is lower than 17MPH, should the AHB green icon disappear on the dashboard? What bothers me is the ICON constantly disappear and need to reactive manually. It is really hard to reproduce the problem when visit the dealer.
Old 02-26-17, 04:23 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mnemons
When the speed is lower than 17MPH, should the AHB green icon disappear on the dashboard? What bothers me is the ICON constantly disappear and need to reactive manually. It is really hard to reproduce the problem when visit the dealer.
NO it does not. The only thing that disengages is the actual BLUE high beam icon.

the Green auto should always stay on. Mine usually does but sometimes it will also just turn off and I have to manually turn it back on again.
The following users liked this post:
milk659 (03-23-19)
Old 02-26-17, 06:36 AM
satnav
Pole Position

Nope the auto high beam icon should be on all the time regardless of speed or its in high and low beam; and only not their when you deactivate the feature. My 2010 RX had this same feature not one problem. My 2016 suffers from a ghosting of the Auto indicator to this day still from when I first made this post. I even have a video that I showed to the dealer. They told me it was normal.... Lexus has changed a bit, in the past they would at least acknowledged the problem and tell you they don have a fix. They have started given customers the Mercedes/Audi dealer responses "performing as designed" or "operating within manufacture specifications"

Anyways since 7/2016 when I took delivery to today I still have the ghosting Automatic High Beam icon.

Quick Reply: Auto High Beam Disappears