RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Head2Head: BMW X5 vs Mercedes GLE vs Lexus RX

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-16, 12:47 AM
WolfyLS460
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Sorry but the new RX is just too ugly to *see* everyday, let alone drive.
Volvo XC90 is nice but it still looks too 'buttoned down' to me like the old Volvo's.
GLE drives a lot better than the old ML that it replaced, and it feels A LOT more solid & safe than the RX.

But for looks and performance, nothing today beats the Jaguar F-Pace S (a bargain at $56k!).... yes that includes the Macan.

Is Lexus the most reliable of them all? Statistically yes. But in reality, all the Japanese cars I have owned cost more to maintain than my other, non-Japanese cars. Especially now that Lexus has chosen to put the same ugly face on all their cars, "reliability" is no longer sufficient to entice me to the Lexus brand.

Last edited by WolfyLS460; 09-26-16 at 12:51 AM.
Old 09-26-16, 05:04 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Quite a good showing for the RX.

Theres no doubt that an RX is going to be more reliable long term than the X5, or probably the GLE. if you were buying something that you were going to keep for 5+ years, undoubtedly you would have to think twice about that X5.

For a 3 year lease though? I'd still rather have an X5 optioned with the napa interior...although you're going to pay a big premium over an RX.

Reliability is important, but it isn't everything.
^ Very true and I agree to a point.

As I mentioned in a previous post I thought the X5 was very nice. And even though I leased our RX, in my case I was so beaten up by all of the issues with the ML, going in for service and fighting with MBUSA, that this time reliability won out so I went back to Lexus.
Old 09-26-16, 06:00 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfyLS460
Sorry but the new RX is just too ugly to *see* everyday, let alone drive.
Volvo XC90 is nice but it still looks too 'buttoned down' to me like the old Volvo's.
GLE drives a lot better than the old ML that it replaced, and it feels A LOT more solid & safe than the RX.

But for looks and performance, nothing today beats the Jaguar F-Pace S (a bargain at $56k!).... yes that includes the Macan.

Is Lexus the most reliable of them all? Statistically yes. But in reality, all the Japanese cars I have owned cost more to maintain than my other, non-Japanese cars. Especially now that Lexus has chosen to put the same ugly face on all their cars, "reliability" is no longer sufficient to entice me to the Lexus brand.

There were no major changes made when MB changed the name from ML to GLE. The GLE is still based on the W166 platform that MB introduced in 2012. Yeah, there were some changes made here and there, but basically the GLE was really nothing more than a name change.

I owned a 2011 ML which was based on the W164 platform (2006 to 2011), and a 2012 ML (W166 platform). While I agree that 2012 to present ML / GLE drove a lot better than the 2011 ML, IMO it still left a lot to be desired in regards to build quality.

In all fairness I will say that the ML had a vault like feeling while on the highway. But IMO I don't feel any less safe in the RX than I did in either ML.

I'm not doubting your experience in regards to maintenance, especially if you owned a BMW with the pre-paid maintenance.. But in my experience of owning 10 Japanese vehicles from Acura, Infiniti and Lexus, the ML's without a doubt cost the most to maintain, I mean it wasn't even close.
Old 09-26-16, 06:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I've owned Lexus vehicles for 18 years, and I really cannot imagine a car costing less to maintain. I mean, if you take it to the dealer perhaps, scheduled maintenance is expensive but if you're sensitive to cost you don't have to take it to the dealer.

Really all you have to do to a Lexus is change the oil every 10k miles and rotate the tires, replace filters from time to time. What's expensive about that?

As for styling, it's subjective. I personally think the GLE is quite ugly. Jellybean shaped, awkward from certain angles. Interior is very outdated. The RX has a unique look now but can be quite attractive IMHO in the right trim and colors.

The ML/GLE is a vehicle I wouldn't consider at all.