RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 Lexus RX Questions

Old 09-06-16, 02:03 PM
bthomass
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Lexus RX Questions

Hello! I hope you all are doing wonderful today. This morning I bought my brand new Lexus RX- I can give details if you ask but on the other hand I have been having some problems with it; mainly three. The first problem being with the $200 automatic rear opening door when you wave your hand in front of it. It seems super finicky and I could never get it to work consistently. Yet the car delivery guy seemed to get it each time. I do not know what I am doing wrong and I do not see anyone else with this issue so I am assuming it is myself. The next issue is again with the rear door. I know you hit the button twice to close the trunk and lock the car itself; it worked perfectly at the dealership. I would hit it twice and it would make that wonderful two pitch chime and proceed to close the trunk and lock it. Now at my house I attempt to do same thing but it makes just a one tone chime then a second chime that continues longer than the first that lasts for 5-10 seconds and the car flashes its hazards once. Honestly I do not know what I am doing wrong, but I just want to use my new RX as it was made. My final problem is locking the door using the finger sliders on the front of the door handle. When I do it the car just chimes at me for once again 5-10. Once again I would love if someone could tell me what I am doing wrong. I could even record it occurring if you need me to. Thank you!
-Brett
Old 09-06-16, 06:03 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

For your door locking issues, it seems like a door wasn't closed, therefore the car will not lock and it will make that long chime sound.
Old 09-06-16, 06:40 PM
bthomass
Driver School Candidate

Thank you, I will be sure to try that and update you.
Old 09-06-16, 07:22 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

That as someone mentioned above door open or the key is in the car. Also for trunk issue with keyless operation thing. I have that option to; its useless. I think theirs a whole thread on it too. A lot of people have issues with that. I never use it either.
Old 09-06-16, 07:31 PM
bthomass
Driver School Candidate

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry for wasting everyone's time. Today I forgot they put the secondary key in the goodie bag they gave. To make a long story short, the goodie bag was in the car. Therefore the car would not lock. Thank you dchar and big thank you to satnav! Community is great on this website.
Old 09-06-16, 07:33 PM
jimos
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations on your new car. It's wonderful, isn't it?
1) Touchless Hatch: Try this: Use just your index finger and touch the top of the L for exactly 1 second or until you hear a beep and quickly remove it. After you get the hang of that, you can figure out how close to not touching works and how wide an area you have sensitivity. I think the only time I'd use it is if my hands were full and I'd be trying my elbow, which works fairly well.
2) "Double clicking" close hatch: Yes, it could be something isn't closed, or maybe you're not doubleclicking the right rate. Try a little faster or slower between presses to see if that's the issue.
3) Locking Doors: Again, try using just your index finger on the little dimple area. If you grab the handle, it thinks you're trying to unlock, not lock.
Old 09-07-16, 10:35 AM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

congrats! I think there is a thread about those rear door. Quite a handful of people here have issues with it. I personally find that option useless
Old 09-07-16, 02:43 PM
boomer10
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Touchless automatic rear door opening: I also had a problem at first. Make sure you have your key fob with you. Just put your hand over the TOP portion of the "L" logo (about an inch or two away from the "L" logo without touching the logo) and quickly remove it when you hear the first beep.

The problem I had was waiting and hearing two beeps, and nothing happened. When I quickly removed my hand after the first beep, and it works every time.
Old 09-08-16, 10:54 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by boomer10
The problem I had was waiting and hearing two beeps, and nothing happened. When I quickly removed my hand after the first beep, and it works every time.
This is exactly how it's supposed to work. If it senses and obstacle, it stops. Try putting your hand over the sensor as it's opening. It will stop.

To the OP, the best way I can describe using the touch free door, it has to be a deliberate action. Meaning just waving your hand around doesn't work. You don't want it so sensitive that just walking by it causes it to open. Hover your hand or elbow about 1-2 inches over the top half of the emblem keeping your hand or elbow still. As soon as it beeps, move your hand. It's new to you and like anything new it takes getting used to it. I certainly wouldn't call it worthless. Take some time just playing around with your car sitting in your garage/driveway getting used to the features.
Old 09-28-16, 10:02 AM
JosersRX
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The option is def not user friendly. but I wouldn't call it completely useless... it's cool for ooh & aahs moments showing your friends the feature- granted you know what you're doing LOL. The point is to be able to open the hatch when your hands are occupied but it is counterproductive when you have to waive your already occupied hand to open it... I just pull on the handle at that point .
Old 09-28-16, 10:51 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

using the carista app

I maxed the sensitivy for the power rear door and changed the sound when it closes! cool!!!

I've had my hands full many times and have used my elbow, and my head to open the door. haha