RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Check your Alignment/tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-16, 05:25 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts
Default Check your Alignment/tire wear

I was marking my tires before the 8K inspection and noticed my front right and rear left were not wearing properly. The tires had some feathering on the outside edges. The car did not pull and gave no indication that it needed an alignment. Lexus will perform an alignment and balance the tires for free in the first year...not exactly sure what the mileage or time is.

I was advised that a correction was done on the front right and rear left, others were good. Front right was out a lot. I forgot to ask what they did, toe camber etc. and I am no expert on alignment issues.

I wasn't too happy that I didn't notice this earlier, but it's fixed now.

Don't be like me. Check your tires carefully before you get too many miles on them.
Old 09-04-16, 12:44 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good information and thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention. It could be they jacked it on the train from Canada or something. Just an uneducated shot at it but I feel like they over torque these cars down for shipping I could be wrong..which by the way, I would have them look over the suspension/steering parts for damage. I do know from reading that you aint a curb smacker so what else could it be?
I happen to be a guy who eyeballs my tires every trip. Every time. Luckily mine are good albeit the Bridgestones. Still like new so far.
Old 09-06-16, 10:59 AM
FastFord
Racer

I definitely didn't hit a curb or pot-hole. I suspect that it just wasn't a very good alignment job from the factory. Maybe like you said while shipping.

I'm not blaming Lexus. I'm a big boy and should know to check my tires more carefully. Just there was no indication such as pulling etc.

I wanted people to know that a free alignment is available from Lexus and it should be considered while the vehicle is new.
Old 09-06-16, 02:11 PM
mcfancy
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You said u 'marked' your tires to tell the wear problem...mind sharing what you did exactly ?
Old 09-08-16, 07:12 AM
FastFord
Racer

Sorry, I should have given more info. All I did was mark the two front tires with a grease pencil, to make sure the tires were rotated as per the 8K inspection. I didn't do it to observe the tire wear.

I noticed the tire wear when I ran my hand backward over the tires. They were not smooth as they should be. When I looked closely you could see the tires had started feathering. Just for the record, I have the Michelins on the RX F Sport.
Old 09-08-16, 09:08 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

I have found that Lexus will not even check your alignment until after one year. Checking yourself is wise for sure.
Old 09-08-16, 09:27 AM
FastFord
Racer

I found this on a Lexus site...FYI

WARRANTY

Search
< BACK TO TOPICSWhat warranty coverage do I have on my new Lexus vehicle?Basic Coverage4 years/50,000 miles (all components other than normal wear and maintenance items). Wheel alignment and balancing are covered for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first
Old 09-09-16, 08:13 AM
Kiboater
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a lot of experience with GM warranties but the same theory may apply to Lexus. The factory does not want a dealer to balance tires or align a front end simply based on an owners request. If you say you want your tires balanced or front end aligned because you think it is a good idea the factory is not interested in paying for this.

If you have tire wear or vibrations that requires this service then this is part of the warranty at least for the first year, Tell the dealership that you have unusual tire wear and let them decide to align the front end. This is a warrantable repair that will be paid by the manufacturer.

Old 09-09-16, 10:01 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I had no problem getting the dealer to check the alignment on my 3RXh at the one year mark. In fact it was more like 15 months. Only a slight adjustment was needed. And I have them check the alignment every year after winter to be on the safe side. Typically though I can tell when it's off.