RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

If you were to do it again, what options would you get or do away with?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-20, 03:46 PM
blayze1983
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Ahh thanks, didn't know it was part of PCS.

I don't see why I'd ever have PCS turned off... sounds like a no brainer, especially with all the bike lanes being added in the city now.
Old 07-13-20, 03:48 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 435 Likes on 237 Posts

Blind spot is a must. This should be standard but I wanted it so I paid for it. I actually like that adaptive cruise control so that has been a pleasant surprise. It works well has some adjustment to the range which is nice. The other safety items I find to be more annoying but I would consider using especially if I was driving late at night or feeling tired.
Old 07-13-20, 05:29 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Nothing really as I'm very happy with my luxury package RX350 as it has every options available. Only thing I would change is the interior. I would much rather have a black interior.
Old 07-14-20, 02:30 PM
exonw
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Very satisfied with all features on my 2017 EXEC package ... not sure how much MY 2020 have on improvements/upgrades though not very much concerned not having Apple Carplay / Android Auto.
Old 07-14-20, 03:23 PM
coolbrazz
Intermediate

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts

I would like a integrated dashcam option. I believe it's an option in Canada. Also like carplay without the cord figured out without aftermarket devices like on Amazon etc....
Old 07-14-20, 04:05 PM
blayze1983
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by coolbrazz
I would like a integrated dashcam option. I believe it's an option in Canada. Also like carplay without the cord figured out without aftermarket devices like on Amazon etc....
I totally forgot the Lexus dashcam is an option in Canada.

Anyone have experience with it? Any advantages to getting it with the car instead of after-market?
Old 07-14-20, 04:15 PM
exonw
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by blayze1983
I totally forgot the Lexus dashcam is an option in Canada.
Anyone have experience with it? Any advantages to getting it with the car instead of after-market?
There is a separate thread where it has been discussed in detail - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...s-dashcam.html
The following users liked this post:
blayze1983 (07-14-20)
Old 07-14-20, 05:37 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

I wonder how accurate this is...

Last edited by coolsaber; 07-16-20 at 07:50 AM.
exonw (07-14-20)
Old 07-15-20, 11:38 PM
RiceBanana
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't have any, seem to use all the features available on the fully loaded trim. (Don't have tow hitch, I never tow anything)
Old 01-04-21, 04:22 PM
JoelTNYC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for packages/options

This question might be too dependent on individual wants and needs but I’ll try anyway: I’m in the fact-gathering stage for purchasing a new RX350 and the packages and options are a bit dizzying. Would appreciate any thoughts on which items are unnecessary and necessary, especially with resale in mind down the road. Thanks!
Old 01-04-21, 05:40 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 442 Likes on 310 Posts

F Sport.
I find our 2018 RX450h too squishy.

And Android Auto. Why a car this expensive fails to have modern tech is beyond me.
Old 01-05-21, 01:28 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 681 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by JoelTNYC
Would appreciate any thoughts on which items are unnecessary and necessary, especially with resale in mind down the road. Thanks!
You're going to learn that you don't have a "Chinese menu" with these (or any other) new cars. You have "packages" and each package has "options", and you'll have to live with a package and whatever options you want that are available on that package. Take a look at the Lexus "Build your own" website and you'll see what I mean -- you pick one of the six basic models, and as soon as you do that, you have to take all the included features (some of which may not be "necessary" in your world) and you are limited to the options that are available for that model, which are not all the options Lexus has. On my 2018 F-Sport, I turned off the Lane Keeping Assistant (LKA) the first day I had the car, and haven't ever wanted to turn it back on. The AWD lock capability is great in theory, but I've never needed to use it, and never used it on my 2015 either. I have the tow prep option because it happened to be on the car that my salesman found that had the color combination and the other things I wanted. Same with the Bi-level headlights -- triple beams were not important to me. There's a certain degree of acceptance of the "bundle" that, while aggravating, is part of the modern car buying experience. IMHO.

Last edited by dibl; 01-05-21 at 05:22 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dibl:
coolbrazz (01-05-21), JoelTNYC (01-05-21)
Old 01-05-21, 09:11 AM
JoelTNYC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dibl
You're going to learn that you don't have a "Chinese menu" with these (or any other) new cars. You have "packages" and each package has "options", and you'll have to live with a package and whatever options you want that are available on that package. Take a look at the Lexus "Build your own" website and you'll see what I mean -- you pick one of the six basic models, and as soon as you do that, you have to take all the included features (some of which may not be "necessary" in your world) and you are limited to the options that are available for that model, which are not all the options Lexus has. On my 2018 F-Sport, I turned off the Lane Keeping Assistant (LKA) the first day I had the car, and haven't ever wanted to turn it back on. The AWD lock capability is great in theory, but I've never needed to use it, and never used it on my 2015 either. I have the tow prep option because it happened to be on the car that my salesman found that had the color combination and the other things I wanted. Same with the Bi-level headlights -- triple beams were not important to me. There's a certain degree of acceptance of the "bundle" that, while aggravating, is part of the modern car buying experience. IMHO.
Thanks! Very helpful.
Old 01-05-21, 09:59 AM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 400 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by dibl
You're going to learn that you don't have a "Chinese menu" with these (or any other) new cars. You have "packages" and each package has "options", and you'll have to live with a package and whatever options you want that are available on that package. Take a look at the Lexus "Build your own" website and you'll see what I mean -- you pick one of the six basic models, and as soon as you do that, you have to take all the included features (some of which may not be "necessary" in your world) and you are limited to the options that are available for that model, which are not all the options Lexus has.
How automakers decide the bundles they build befuddles me. They've been in business a long time and no doubt have highly paid marketers making decisions, but their choices often strike me as odd. Take the HUD on the RX, for example. It's only a $600 standalone option and I would have preferred it. When looking, though (and I looked online at tons of vehicles across several states), the only vehicles that had it were F-Sports and those with the Luxury trim. I didn't want either. I can't imagine many people would choose either of those trims just for the HUD. On the other hand, seems to me many Premium trim customers would easily pay the little extra for the HUD. Lexus could increase their average selling price without cannibalizing the higher trim levels, and be more competitive with other suppliers. That's a business win, yet they don't do it.
Old 01-05-21, 10:33 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 681 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by bamalam
How automakers decide the bundles they build befuddles me.
I have a sneaking suspicion that it is as much about production efficiency as it is about customer "desirements" as determined by marketing. They want to "set up and run" a given configuration, I think, and then change configuration and "set up and run" again. I think they can add the option items to the standard configurations when they're running that configuration. I'm kinda guessing, but I've been involved in other manufacturing endeavors and that's the least expensive/most efficient approach when you're using robots as much as possible.
Cocal (01-05-21)

Quick Reply: If you were to do it again, what options would you get or do away with?