RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Wrap chrome part in my fsport

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-16, 09:36 AM
DenverRx
Pit Crew

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

I 3M wrapped my grill with gloss black. Looks great with my color (caviar). Thanks to aznkorboi for starting a thread on doing this a while back.
Attached Thumbnails Wrap chrome part in my fsport-img_20160825_171110.jpg   Wrap chrome part in my fsport-img_20160825_171220.jpg  
Old 08-26-16, 10:23 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by DenverRx
I 3M wrapped my grill with gloss black. Looks great with my color (caviar). Thanks to aznkorboi for starting a thread on doing this a while back.
That looks so good. Did you wrap it yourself? I'm still planning on doing the 3m gloss black but I'm not sure how to do it myself.
Old 08-26-16, 10:41 AM
DenverRx
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
That looks so good. Did you wrap it yourself? I'm still planning on doing the 3m gloss black but I'm not sure how to do it myself.
I did it myself & I would not recommend it. I watched 15+ videos on youtube and even practiced with a small piece first. A got a lot of micro creases that I couldn't remove with the heat gun. If doing it again, I would 1) have a helper, 2) cut the film into a U shape for the upper section (so you aren't dealing with the big/ heavy 5'x4' sheet), 3) try to fit over the entire area, instead of working from the top down, and 4) leave excess film when cutting, then come back and make final cuts. I am probably going to pull mine off and have it professionally done.
Old 08-26-16, 10:41 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

what's the best size to buy for the 3m roll? Length x width and square feet?

I know it's best to have one sheet to avoid any ugly seams.

Do you think for the RX F sport grill 4feet by 5 feet with a total of 20 square feet good?

Old 08-26-16, 10:52 AM
DenverRx
Pit Crew

what's the best size to buy for the 3m roll? Length x width and square feet?

I know it's best to have one sheet to avoid any ugly seams.

Do you think for the RX F sport grill 4feet by 5 feet with a total of 20 square feet good?
If you don't mess up, 4x5 is plenty. I think the guy with the blue RX who posted on your thread did his with a 3x5 sheet. Take your time & don't feel like you need to finish in one afternoon. I wished I had left the final cuts for another day...
Old 08-26-16, 11:13 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

If you don't mess up, 4x5 is plenty. I think the guy with the blue RX who posted on your thread did his with a 3x5 sheet. Take your time & don't feel like you need to finish in one afternoon. I wished I had left the final cuts for another day...
Hey Denver, thanks for the tip.

So am I supposed to expect something like putting on a screen protector on an iphone? Wet vs dry application?

I only have a hair dryer as the heat gun.

I should just cut the vinyl to a size a little bigger than the huge chrome piece on the engine.

Depending on wet vs dry, you just lay it on, squeegee it, and around the corners, use the heat to mold it to the piece. Then, take the xacto knife and cut around the wrap?

DONE? haha
Old 08-26-16, 02:13 PM
DenverRx
Pit Crew

Hey Denver, thanks for the tip.

So am I supposed to expect something like putting on a screen protector on an iphone? Wet vs dry application?

I only have a hair dryer as the heat gun.

I should just cut the vinyl to a size a little bigger than the huge chrome piece on the engine.

Depending on wet vs dry, you just lay it on, squeegee it, and around the corners, use the heat to mold it to the piece. Then, take the xacto knife and cut around the wrap?

DONE? haha
It's a dry application. The film is semi sticky; it does not bond until you push hard/ heat it. I used a hobby hot air dryer; not the expensive ones w/ temp readout. It seemed hot enough, but the videos said if you make a mistake (ie. creases) you just pull it off and heat it. It is supposed to go back to its original shape. That didn't happen with me. I would cut the top piece so you have about 3-4" of excess material on all edges of the grill piece (removing a lot of material from the center). I tried to work with the whole sheet, which gets in the way.

If you can find a pro to do it for under $300, I'd gladly pay. If you mess it up, you're only out ~$50.

Last edited by DenverRx; 08-26-16 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-07-16, 03:39 PM
Club Lexus Editor
CL Editor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front page news!

Figured the front page crowd could be helpful too...
https://www.clublexus.com/articles/y...-chrome-parts/
Old 10-07-16, 05:23 PM
badman5
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

All black. Not a fan of the red accent imo.
Old 10-08-16, 10:29 AM
behnammavi
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I will leave it as is for now. I'm not just fan of chrome , maybe do all in black later
Old 10-09-16, 08:03 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
Default .....................

Too much chrome is a bad thing.
I Think the hourglass grill Trimmed in red with everything else in black would look unique.
Old 10-10-16, 07:15 AM
vettestr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you have to remove the trims apart to wrap them easier? If you did, how easy to remove them?
Regards,
-Mike
Old 10-24-16, 01:47 PM
DenverRx
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by vettestr
Did you have to remove the trims apart to wrap them easier? If you did, how easy to remove them?
Regards,
-Mike
I didn't remove them. It would make wrapping/ trimming easier, but would be a major undertaking (I assume) to R&R the trim pieces...
Old 10-25-16, 02:56 PM
Darith
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I agree with dchar, that one looks dope. You already know all black will look dope too, but he wants to be unique, so go for the red and let a shop wrap it for you unless you absolutely take pleasure in doing it yourself. I wouldn't do the side mirrors just yet. Oncoming traffic may mistake it for a red tail light or red signal light.
Old 10-25-16, 05:16 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pretty aggressive looking, and seems fairly straightforward too. Definitely a head turner.

Quick Reply: Wrap chrome part in my fsport