RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Panoramic Roof Fell Apart

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-16, 06:00 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by SoKali-RX
So got an update today. They took apart the whole pano roof and told me that there were a couple defective parts. They told me that this has become an increasing problem, so those of you with pano roofs should look out for this problem.
Thats good, probs going to be a new assembly. However I`d take the last comment with a truckload of doubt, since these were the same people who needed your help to diagnose the vehicle`s issue.

Historically speaking Pano roofs are fun when they operate. When they get some wear into them.....gosh darn it, these things are a major PITA. Leaking, broken plastic drive parts, plugged drains. My advice from a person who has dealt with them, make sure to keep the drains clear, check flooring and panels regularly to see of any pools of water, use the damn thing in the heat, avoid in the cold, and of course avoid parking under trees and areas prone to dirt or any sediment, as the wreak havoc on the channels.

#Aznkorboi, keep on using it, maybe it can accelerate the display of an issues, or maybe it can just accelerate wear presenting itself after warranty. Who knows
Old 08-24-16, 06:08 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Thats good, probs going to be a new assembly. However I`d take the last comment with a truckload of doubt, since these were the same people who needed your help to diagnose the vehicle`s issue.

Historically speaking Pano roofs are fun when they operate. When they get some wear into them.....gosh darn it, these things are a major PITA. Leaking, broken plastic drive parts, plugged drains. My advice from a person who has dealt with them, make sure to keep the drains clear, check flooring and panels regularly to see of any pools of water, use the damn thing in the heat, avoid in the cold, and of course avoid parking under trees and areas prone to dirt or any sediment, as the wreak havoc on the channels.

#Aznkorboi, keep on using it, maybe it can accelerate the display of an issues, or maybe it can just accelerate wear presenting itself after warranty. Who knows
Sounds good. I'm always cleaning the top when washing the car. I did notice the rubber seals on the outside have already faded.
Old 08-24-16, 08:35 PM
SoKali-RX
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My service advisor did mention that the plastic parts wore prematurely. This was also the first case for them, as they found out how to resolve it via other dealerships in the area.

My issue occurred during a cold morning, so perhaps if you wanted to see if your pano roof was affected, try opening it in the morning.

I'll post my receipts of the parts replaced once I get my car back so other members with the same issue won't have their car sitting at the dealership for eternity lol.
Old 09-02-16, 09:17 PM
SoKali-RX
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Finally got the car back after over 3 weeks. They pretty much replaced the entire pano roof and interior sliding cover. I noticed that the pano roof and interior sliding cover opens a lot quieter and faster than before. Over 7 pages of work order lol, but it's finally done!
Old 09-03-16, 05:12 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

Finally got the car back after over 3 weeks. They pretty much replaced the entire pano roof and interior sliding cover. I noticed that the pano roof and interior sliding cover opens a lot quieter and faster than before. Over 7 pages of work order lol, but it's finally done!
FINALLY!

NOw we can put everything to rest. Hopefully no more issues arise.

My little hinge on the rear trunk latch broke off on its own so I have to get that replaced.
Old 09-04-16, 08:40 PM
axes2k
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just took my car in but unable to duplicate the issue with closing pano roof...

I'm thinking mine was unable to close to due heat issue, cause the morning before I brought the car in was fine and it was fairly cold with no sun.

Old 09-04-16, 09:36 PM
dknyov
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Lexus quality went downhill, we're talking about 2016 for God's sake. I had 2010 (7 year old car) Acura ZDX with Pano Roof, and even when I drove on highway with speed up to 60 miles/hour, I open my pano all the way back with no problems, the structure is very solid. Now my 2016 Lexus with Pano, just 35 miles/hour and I heard the Pano hit the back of the roof. So I have to close it or change it to tilt. So wasted of 1600$ option.

Last edited by dknyov; 09-05-16 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-05-16, 11:49 AM
axes2k
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tell me about it..my car only have about 155 miles with pano roof issue and leaking fluid from the front and differential...
Old 09-05-16, 01:17 PM
dknyov
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by axes2k
Tell me about it..my car only have about 155 miles with pano roof issue and leaking fluid from the front and differential...
We're talking about 60K+ car, and bought brand new, and when we're driving open the pano roof then all the vibrate noise make me so embarrass.
Old 09-05-16, 09:43 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

I agree with Valley101 and JT4, especially the part about being professional and keeping your end game in mind. I would not tell them how awful they are, or try to convince them that they are taking advantage. Seems to me they are doing their due diligence so far. Please keep us posted.
Ray A.
Old 10-31-16, 06:14 AM
Moyzee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mee too

Well, was driving today in the morning and decided to open the pano roof. As the roof was opening, bits and pieces started to fall into the cabin. I pulled over to the side and put the pieces back together. Now the roof is opening and closing with a loud grinding noise and there's a loud thump while driving with the roof closed. The roof is also leaking this silicone type gel which I'm assuming is used as a lubricant.

No damage or trauma to the pano roof prior, so not sure what's going on. Will take it in to the dealer and let them take care of it...
Im in australia, parts fell out of my roof too.dealer fixed

Biggest problem for me is the grease in the sunroof cover tracks, the Australian sun heats up this grease and the whole cabin is consumed by this noxious odor
Old 07-02-17, 03:17 PM
wheelslip
Driver School Candidate

Default Plastic trims fell from the Panoramic Moon Roof

Two plastic trims fell from the Panoramic Moon Roof of my 2016 RX 350 F today. I don't seem to be able to put them back. I have attached a picture of the trims. Anyone knows where to put them?

(I also looked at the service manual and they don't seem to be mentioned in it).

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Panoramic Roof Fell Apart-img_1659.jpg  

Last edited by wheelslip; 07-02-17 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-02-17, 04:23 PM
mcfancy
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

mine came off also....they cover the rails of the moon roof ....open it al the way and youll see the steel rails...these snap over to cover them for a more finished look...or just drop by lexus and have them do/it
Old 07-02-17, 08:30 PM
wheelslip
Driver School Candidate

Thanks so much mcfancy. They are back on now.
Old 07-03-17, 06:24 AM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same problem and they fell off again after I replaced them. I had Lexus replace them and they have been fine since.

Quick Reply: Panoramic Roof Fell Apart