RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Mulling between New or CPO Rx. Which way to lean?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-16, 12:03 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Xctrygirl
Hi Lexus owners.

I am appealing to you for your expertise and insight. I am mulling over either getting into a CPO 2015 Rx350 or getting into a new rx350.

Among My considerations are:

Pros of new car:
it's new. Lots of shiny never broken things
Its more expensive and it's bigger
The gas mileage isn't so bad
4 year 50k mile warranty

Pros of CPO:
4 included service appointments
Longer warranty
Drives great feels responsive

Cons of new car:
What's that vibration thing y'all are talking about???
Costs are higher
Only 2 included Service appointments

Cons of CPO:
No grid lines on the backup camera. (REALLY?)
Dealers so far have seriously under appreciated a knowledgeable buyer (Oh hey we make you pay full sales tax on the purchase price for a lease....yea not so much kids)

I am in a little bit of a pickle since we started looking at the NX and shifted to the Rx so my local lexus guys have seen me twice already. Now we're up to considering new and I haven't driven a 2016 yet. So taking a road trip to a non local dealer to try that as well.

I'm coming from 15 years owning Subaru Outbacks and I love them, but at 15 years I wanted to stop and take a look around before committing to yet another Subby. I adore the Lexus cars (Dad has had 2) and I am loving the rx compared to the new Subaru Touring that's coming out.

I would be leasing and I love that I can lease a CPO and essentially skip the 1st year depreciation and get more service coverage. I think it's a much better deal but I wanted to ask those who have already been through this.

Many thanks for any contributions you may have.

~Emily
I've been considering a CPO too. One thing to beware of with a 2015 CPO - many of the 2-15's on the lots are the dealers' loaner cars from last year. At my local dealer, all 2015 CPO's they had were ex-loaner cars, none were owned by a private party. This may not be an issue for some, but for me, I really don't want to buy an ex-loaner car that people may have abused and thrashed around. On the other hand, a CPO 2013 or 2014 on the lot is more likely to be a car that was leased and now returned - much better to buy in my opinion. I think that if you look at a carfax report on the particular car that you want, you can figure out if it was owned or a dealer loaner.
Old 07-27-16, 12:33 PM
jamienpld
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can easily find out of the L/Certified Lexus was a service loaner car or owned by a private party/individual by pulling the National Lexus Service History. You can pull this up with the VIN and your local Lexus dealership can print it out for you. They can also tell you if the car was a loaner vehicle or not by just asking them. Our service loaner cars are very well taken care of and they come home to the dealership almost every night where we wash and maintain them. No one smokes in the loaner vehicle and all services are completed. It is actually a pretty good buy!
Old 07-29-16, 12:06 PM
Xctrygirl
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for your great replies.

We decided to get the New Rx350. Should be delivered in the next few days. (We had to work out a dealer swap with a dealer out of state to get the color scheme I wanted) So it's gotta ship on over to me.

Re: the cpo. It was a loaner and honestly that was a plus in my eyes. Think about it, whenever I drive a loaner when my car is in for service I am careful (it's either the same model of what I had or close) and I report back to the service guys if anything felt amiss. Plus I know that the loaners are right there so there's someone paying attention to their fluid levels and if anything is reported back by a customer. But the car didn't stop me from getting it, the dealership employees did.

I chose the '16 after a LONG test drive and because the amenities were better and the backup camera had guidelines. No kidding the 15 not having lines killed me. I couldn't get over it. And I know exactly how silly that makes me sound.

The shocker of this whole deal was how much I wasn't communicated with nor even replied to when pushing to get a car. I waited 3 days after the point at which I was ready to sign papers to actually get to sign papers. When I called the second dealer, who lost us due to a total lack of communication, to tell him they had lost the deal I spoke to the sales manager and he literally sounded like he could not care less.

It was a frustrating time all around but I am excited to get the car.

Thanks for all the advice I will be reading the '16 threads intently to learn what I can.

~Emily
Old 07-29-16, 12:28 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Re: the cpo. It was a loaner and honestly that was a plus in my eyes. Think about it, whenever I drive a loaner when my car is in for service I am careful (it's either the same model of what I had or close) and I report back to the service guys if anything felt amiss. Plus I know that the loaners are right there so there's someone paying attention to their fluid levels and if anything is reported back by a customer. But the car didn't stop me from getting it, the dealership employees did.
Congrats and good choice! I moved from a '10 to a '16 and it is a huge difference.

Regarding loaners, I think this situation is more likely:
"It's a loaner so no need to be careful - I'm going to mash it over speed bumps, floor it, jam the brakes, and put boogers in every nook and cranny. I don't report anything out of fear they will blame me for it, plus I'm too busy and I just don't care about it since it's temporary. Sure the loaner eventually returns to the dealership but since it doesn't have a single owner, no one is paying attention to it. The car has been run through the machine wash so many times that they named it swirly. It's probably a second responsibility tacked on to a service manager's job which is at the bottom of the priority list under customers cars."
Old 07-29-16, 12:31 PM
jamienpld
Driver School Candidate

Congratulations on your 2016 Lexus RX350!! The 2016 has so much to offer so I think you made a good choice as well. I also agree with all of the points you made in regards to the L/Certified RX that was a service loaner vehicle. They are some of the best values and are very well taken care of with perfect service history. I am sorry to hear about your experience with your local dealership! That is not the norm- or at least it is not at our store. The new Lexus Drivers site has great information for new Lexus owners so I recommend visiting that and downloading the new app. Enjoy your new Lexus RX and congrats!
Old 07-29-16, 06:12 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations! Great choice! I'm sure many people try to test drive the loaners.
Old 07-30-16, 01:05 PM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

the interior of the new gen 4 is phenomenal. love it and wife says she thinks it is leaps and bounds ahead of gen 3
Old 08-01-16, 08:40 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We decided to get the New Rx350. Should be delivered in the next few days. (We had to work out a dealer swap with a dealer out of state to get the color scheme I wanted) So it's gotta ship on over to me.

I chose the '16 after a LONG test drive and because the amenities were better and the backup camera had guidelines. No kidding the 15 not having lines killed me. I couldn't get over it. And I know exactly how silly that makes me sound.

The shocker of this whole deal was how much I wasn't communicated with nor even replied to when pushing to get a car. I waited 3 days after the point at which I was ready to sign papers to actually get to sign papers. When I called the second dealer, who lost us due to a total lack of communication, to tell him they had lost the deal I spoke to the sales manager and he literally sounded like he could not care less.

It was a frustrating time all around but I am excited to get the car.

Thanks for all the advice I will be reading the '16 threads intently to learn what I can.

~Emily
you're not alone. The backup camera on my previous model drove me nuts! I traded a 15 in on a 16 and that was a big reason.
So that makes me the silly one

Last edited by sandy14; 08-01-16 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-02-16, 05:53 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Congrats, I'm sure you'll enjoy the 16.. Post some pics when you get it..
Old 08-10-16, 12:40 PM
Xctrygirl
Driver School Candidate

Default Pictures!

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...psy1pjdckn.jpg

AS requested here is the link to the album with 4 pics.

3 days in and I love it, just still adapting and learning about ALL the bells, whistles, buttons and whosamajigs!!

~Emily
Old 08-10-16, 12:48 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...psy1pjdckn.jpg

AS requested here is the link to the album with 4 pics.

3 days in and I love it, just still adapting and learning about ALL the bells, whistles, buttons and whosamajigs!!

~Emily
WOW! What a beauty. 6 months into mine and she still takes my breath away.
Old 08-10-16, 12:49 PM
Xctrygirl
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Sandy!!!

I am really loving the upgrade from my beloved Subarus.

Now if I could just learn a few things like what the heck S Flow is/does????

:-)

Emily
Old 08-10-16, 09:13 PM
Roughneck
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gorgeous nightfall mica. The exact colour we picked for the Mrs 3 weeks ago.

Word of caution: That colour is very sensitive to nicks and scratches. Get the front end wraped in paint protection film. We ended up getting the RX wrapped 2 weeks after purchase and by then there were already two tiny rock chips on the front end of the hood. I went to a shop that specializes in paint protection and tinting. They charged me half of what the Lexus dealership had quoted me. The guy from the shop told me dealerships do not have inhouse technicians doing that type of work - they contract it out to such shops. So cut out the middle man.
Old 08-11-16, 06:26 AM
Xctrygirl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Roughneck
Gorgeous nightfall mica. The exact colour we picked for the Mrs 3 weeks ago.

Word of caution: That colour is very sensitive to nicks and scratches. Get the front end wraped in paint protection film. We ended up getting the RX wrapped 2 weeks after purchase and by then there were already two tiny rock chips on the front end of the hood. I went to a shop that specializes in paint protection and tinting. They charged me half of what the Lexus dealership had quoted me. The guy from the shop told me dealerships do not have inhouse technicians doing that type of work - they contract it out to such shops. So cut out the middle man.
See now my local top of the line detailing shop offers a ceramic coating, I think that could be a better option than a film.

They do offer the film as well but it just seems silly to put something on that could need to be replaced, possibly more than once.

Thoughts?

~Emily
Old 08-11-16, 09:11 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Emily, check the automotive care and detailing forum for recommendations on both ceramic coatings and clear bras. Both will last years but only the clear bra will protect your RX from chips and stones.

Quick Reply: Mulling between New or CPO Rx. Which way to lean?