RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Mulling between New or CPO Rx. Which way to lean?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-16, 07:25 AM
Xctrygirl
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default **UPdated*** I got the new 2016! Mulling between New or CPO Rx. Which way to lean?

Hi Lexus owners.

I am appealing to you for your expertise and insight. I am mulling over either getting into a CPO 2015 Rx350 or getting into a new rx350.

Among My considerations are:

Pros of new car:
it's new. Lots of shiny never broken things
Its more expensive and it's bigger
The gas mileage isn't so bad
4 year 50k mile warranty

Pros of CPO:
4 included service appointments
Longer warranty
Drives great feels responsive

Cons of new car:
What's that vibration thing y'all are talking about???
Costs are higher
Only 2 included Service appointments

Cons of CPO:
No grid lines on the backup camera. (REALLY?)
Dealers so far have seriously under appreciated a knowledgeable buyer (Oh hey we make you pay full sales tax on the purchase price for a lease....yea not so much kids)

I am in a little bit of a pickle since we started looking at the NX and shifted to the Rx so my local lexus guys have seen me twice already. Now we're up to considering new and I haven't driven a 2016 yet. So taking a road trip to a non local dealer to try that as well.

I'm coming from 15 years owning Subaru Outbacks and I love them, but at 15 years I wanted to stop and take a look around before committing to yet another Subby. I adore the Lexus cars (Dad has had 2) and I am loving the rx compared to the new Subaru Touring that's coming out.

I would be leasing and I love that I can lease a CPO and essentially skip the 1st year depreciation and get more service coverage. I think it's a much better deal but I wanted to ask those who have already been through this.

Many thanks for any contributions you may have.

~Emily

Last edited by Xctrygirl; 07-29-16 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-24-16, 11:53 AM
Roughneck
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been through the same dilemma.

We looked at CPOs also and unfortunately all CPOs we saw were for the old shape (GEN3). Since RXs really hold their value we werent going to save that much more vs a brand new one. The real CPO savings came once you started going really high in mileage e.g. 50k.

Also, the interest rates on brand new are lower than those on used ones. Remember to factor that when looking at the price difference. Plus brand new can come with incentives e.t.c.

I dont know anything about this vibration thing. Since the Lex replaces a Toyota RAV4, the cabin sounds 10 times quietter and smoother than the rattling from the RAV4. Maybe the vibration is noticable for someone coming from another luxury car. However, coming from a Subaru you will definitely get a smoother and quietter ride.
Old 07-25-16, 05:59 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having just switched from Gen 3 to 4 I would definitely urge you to go with Gen 4. There are a lot of improvements--not just extra features but the driving!
Old 07-25-16, 06:56 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

It's a quandary. I would lean towards the new one-it's very nice I'm telling ya! But on the other hand, I see the last gen RX350 around here and they are undeniably gorgeous. Every bit as nice as the 4RX sans all the laser lines and big mouth.
Like I said-very tough decision. I'm no help.
Old 07-26-16, 05:42 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

IMO you should drive both back to back and get a good feel for which one you prefer more. Then check out the features and then determine if the changes on a 16 are worth it to you.

Obviously in the end it comes down to your budget and what you feel comfortable spending. If money isn't a deciding factor for you I would probably go with the 16 to get the most recent tech and refinement.

Good Luck..
Old 07-26-16, 06:10 AM
destro888
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The aesthetics inside out on the new design in my opinion should make it an easy choice. If you love it then you have your answer. Give yourself a chance to acclimate to the new interior and I think you will appreciate it.

It really doesn't matter how many times you been to the dealership. You're the customer and should feel welcome to visit them any time and as many times as you have to until you feel comfortable making a decision. If you do go new, you should test drive to compare the NX, RX350, and RX450h.

Hope it works out for you. Good luck.

Old 07-26-16, 07:55 AM
TeeDog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What JT4 said
'You should drive both back to back and get a good feel for which one you like more.'
I purchased the 2015 RX with 8400 miles on it, still smells new and rides great. Got an unbelievable price and full warranty.
Within a week I had a 2016 RX loaner while in service, I had the 2016 for three days and had a real chance to get to know the vehicle.
Very cool features, backup camera with lines, and mirror cameras as well. The auto-cruise control was very nice.
Very nice NAV display, small iPad almost.
I didn't care much for the steering wheel vibration upon lane departure.
Not a big fan of the front grill, big bug catcher. Some people like the new grill, some don't.
Take the vehicle for a decent test drive, not just around the dealer block.

Good luck with your choice..
T
Old 07-26-16, 11:40 AM
joewnj
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A lot depends on what options you want. My wife had a 2008 RX400H and I had a 2012 RX350. Last November she bought a 2016 RX350 with all the safety features (we could not find a new 2015 with the same features). Three months later I traded in my 2012 RX with 19000 miles for an identical car to hers (except for color) to get the same safety features. There was obviously nothing wrong with the 2012 RX.
She really doesn't like the new RX; it is slightly bigger and the front fenders have an odd shape which makes knowing where the sides of the car with be when parking between lines or getting into the garage difficult. But she wanted the safety features.

If you can find the options you want on a CPO car consider getting it but realize that a one year old car was probably a dealer loaner and may or may not have been treated the best. As someone else said, when comparing prices and monthly payments (used cars have higher interest rates than new cars) they may be only a small difference.
Old 07-26-16, 12:03 PM
jamienpld
Driver School Candidate

Default CPO 2015 RX350 vs New RX

Are you comparing a CPO 2015 vs. a New 2015 RX or a CPO vs. a 2016 RX350? If you're looking at the latter then I highly recommend going with the 2016 model and, if you're lucky, you could find one that is L/Certified. The 2016 RX has so much more to offer and far better resale value down the road. I recommend test driving the 2016 RX before making a decision either way and trust me, your local dealer would be more than happy to see you again! Since you are undecided on a few models and have never owned a Lexus before, I recommend an extended test drive so you can get a better feel for the new RX or whichever model you are leaning toward. Driving the vehicle around for a quick test drive is fine, but you really need to drive it for at least a few hours or overnight so you can get a true feel of how that vehicle will work with your every day driving needs. Lexus Dealerships are known for exemplary service so I am confident that your local Lexus dealership will accommodate an extended test drive if requested and they would be more than happy to assist you in going over every option. Personally, I love informed shoppers so you're on the right track...now you just need to touch, feel and drive the new RX so you can find out which vehicle is the best fit for you!

Leasing a new model will give you a higher residual value and as you know, the higher the residual, the lower the payment. Lexus does not have L&M (Tax Credits) on the conventional lease right now, but that may change (fingers crossed) next month as part of the Lexus Golden Opportunity Sales Event that is going on now thru September 5th. Also, if you lease, you wouldn't need an extended service plan and would still have complimentary 5K and 10K service PLUS anything your local dealership may provide. Depending on how many miles per year you drive, your maintenance costs shouldn't be too much if you plan on leasing then getting a new model at the term of the lease. Synthetic oil changes every 10K miles (first one included) and major services every 15K miles BUT with the new RX that first "major" service is really at 30K miles and not as much $$ as you may think.

I could go on, but before I do, you need to head over to the Lexus dealership and test drive any and every model you are considering!

Originally Posted by Xctrygirl
Hi Lexus owners.

I am appealing to you for your expertise and insight. I am mulling over either getting into a CPO 2015 Rx350 or getting into a new rx350.

Among My considerations are:

Pros of new car:
it's new. Lots of shiny never broken things
Its more expensive and it's bigger
The gas mileage isn't so bad
4 year 50k mile warranty

Pros of CPO:
4 included service appointments
Longer warranty
Drives great feels responsive

Cons of new car:
What's that vibration thing y'all are talking about???
Costs are higher
Only 2 included Service appointments

Cons of CPO:
No grid lines on the backup camera. (REALLY?)
Dealers so far have seriously under appreciated a knowledgeable buyer (Oh hey we make you pay full sales tax on the purchase price for a lease....yea not so much kids)

I am in a little bit of a pickle since we started looking at the NX and shifted to the Rx so my local lexus guys have seen me twice already. Now we're up to considering new and I haven't driven a 2016 yet. So taking a road trip to a non local dealer to try that as well.

I'm coming from 15 years owning Subaru Outbacks and I love them, but at 15 years I wanted to stop and take a look around before committing to yet another Subby. I adore the Lexus cars (Dad has had 2) and I am loving the rx compared to the new Subaru Touring that's coming out.

I would be leasing and I love that I can lease a CPO and essentially skip the 1st year depreciation and get more service coverage. I think it's a much better deal but I wanted to ask those who have already been through this.

Many thanks for any contributions you may have.

~Emily
Old 07-27-16, 06:21 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by TeeDog
What JT4 said
'You should drive both back to back and get a good feel for which one you like more.'
I purchased the 2015 RX with 8400 miles on it, still smells new and rides great. Got an unbelievable price and full warranty.
Within a week I had a 2016 RX loaner while in service, I had the 2016 for three days and had a real chance to get to know the vehicle.
Very cool features, backup camera with lines, and mirror cameras as well. The auto-cruise control was very nice.
Very nice NAV display, small iPad almost.
I didn't care much for the steering wheel vibration upon lane departure.
Not a big fan of the front grill, big bug catcher. Some people like the new grill, some don't.
Take the vehicle for a decent test drive, not just around the dealer block.
Good luck with your choice..
T
Exactly, this I have never understood. I have been at dealers several times and witnessed customers leave for a test drive and within 5 to 10 mins they're back. Unless they previously drove the vehicle, I really don't know how you can get a feel for it.
Old 07-27-16, 06:59 AM
jamienpld
Driver School Candidate

I highly recommend this is as well. You need to drive the vehicle for a few hours at least- go park it at your garage, go to the store, run errands- anything you would normally do so you can see if the vehicle you are considering will benefit you and your needs.

With that said, you can turn off the Lane Departure Alert Warning so the steering wheel does not "shake" when you drift into another lane while driving. There are many settings and options on the new Lexus RX so you can customize everything to work exactly how you want. Thanks!
Old 07-27-16, 07:18 AM
scubastevo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jamienpld
Are you comparing a CPO 2015 vs. a New 2015 RX or a CPO vs. a 2016 RX350? If you're looking at the latter then I highly recommend going with the 2016 model and, if you're lucky, you could find one that is L/Certified. The 2016 RX has so much more to offer and far better resale value down the road.
I don't think you can really make the resale case since we're obviously not "down the road" yet on the new models. Edmunds and other sites have given great ratings for the 5yr cost to own of the 3rd Generations, but it's a bit too soon to make that argument. Separately, the biggest depreciation hit you ever take is the day you move that new car off the lot, so resale is already impacted when comparing to one's purchase price. I'm sure the 4th gen will hold its value well, but I don't think it will be leaps and bounds above the existing car.
Old 07-27-16, 07:40 AM
jamienpld
Driver School Candidate

I understand where you are coming from, however if you look back at the changes and difference in value between the 2009 and 2010 model (which was the last major change for the RX) then you clearly see the higher demand for the 2010 and all of the newer technology that first came out on the 2010 model (example: standard Bluetooth for the first time). The new L/Certified Program is an exceptional value so going with either the L/Certified 2015 or new 2016 really comes down to personal preference on the driving style, features and design of the two models. Thank you!
Old 07-27-16, 08:52 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You really need to drive a 16 RX for a while. In my opinion, the 16 had much better technology than the 15 but the 8 speed transmission in the 2016 was not to my liking. Also to me the 2016 seats were less comfortable than the 15 RX or RXh unless you get the Luxury Package in the 2016. Just my opinion, you need to see how they feel to you.

I have a 2015 RX450h and we love it. We only wish it had the 2016 guide lines on the backup camera, Lexus Safety System + (LSS+) Radar cruise. If I could have found a 2016 with LSS+ and Luxury package in my color I would have bought it. I've decided to wait for the 17s to come out. Rumor has it that LSS+ will be standard in 2017. The RXh in either year eliminates transmission shifting/hunting. The extra money you pay for a RXh up front you get back on trade.

Last edited by FLYCT; 07-27-16 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-27-16, 09:08 AM
jamienpld
Driver School Candidate

The 2017 Lexus RX will come standard with Lexus Safety System+ as well as come in a new color: Atomic Silver (one of my favorites!). Production on the 2017 RX's begins in August so if you are looking for a deal on the new 2016 RX (with the guide lines everyone loves) then now is the time to take advantage of the large inventory selection and offers available at Lexus Dealerships this month and next!

Quick Reply: Mulling between New or CPO Rx. Which way to lean?