RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Anyone buy an Rx350 who originally planned on a NX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-16, 04:29 PM
asheville
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone buy an Rx350 who originally planned on a NX?

I was sold on getting a NX 200 until I drove it. I first drove an RX then drove the NX. I couldn't talk myself into the NX after that point. The turbo charger felt pretty weak, it felt very cramped and the controls, etc also felt like a much lower grade. To me, it was a no brainer to get the Rx.
The following users liked this post:
sagrmale (02-24-21)
Old 07-16-16, 06:06 PM
Curryolla
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep...that's me and my family. We were dead set on getting an NX 300h. In fact, my mom still thinks it's the perfect size. But, the NX was not up to par in end. You can read my full thoughts on the NX here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...clublexus.html
The NX was just missing too many features, had a terrible front end design, although it felt refined enough, it just was nothing compared to the RX 450h. The choice was obvious.
Old 07-16-16, 10:24 PM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had nx200t when I dropped off my ct200h for service and I was very certain I was gonna get a nx200t f-sport. I went to the dealership and ended up getting a rx350 f-sport. Its $10k more than the nx200t but you get a lot more car and a lot more features
Old 07-17-16, 05:43 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

Test drove the NX. I loved the size, didn't like how small it was in the boot. I also didn't like the fact that it was a weak engine.

I heard they are making a new NX with a v6. So if you can wait , wait.

I have the RX and love it. If I need that extra power, a simple down shift will get me there.
Old 07-17-16, 07:59 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I owned the NX200t and traded it in for an RX. I hated the jittery ride on the NX. If the ride had been more composed, I probably would have kept it. I liked everything else about it, including the turbo four. The RX feels like a real Lexus whereas the NX felt cheap.
Old 07-18-16, 05:22 AM
rddakota
Driver School Candidate

Test drove the NX first than for the fun of it drove the RX.....brought the RX. Wife like the RX much better. Difference between the Rav and the Highlander.
Old 07-18-16, 10:59 AM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by roblim
I owned the NX200t and traded it in for an RX. I hated the jittery ride on the NX. If the ride had been more composed, I probably would have kept it. I liked everything else about it, including the turbo four. The RX feels like a real Lexus whereas the NX felt cheap.
I feel the same way. Once the GS lease is done, I have a feeling I'm going to get the RX. Never really considered the NX tbh.
Old 07-18-16, 11:23 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by iJDMTOY
I feel the same way. Once the GS lease is done, I have a feeling I'm going to get the RX. Never really considered the NX tbh.
Glad to see I'm not the only GS driver who's considering an RX. My parents just purchased a pre-owned 2013 RX (they love it) and the new 2016 RX F-Sport looks very enticing. With my kids getting bigger and my capacity to carry more cargo/groceries increasing, the RX is looking more and more attractive to me.

I was going to start a new thread regarding this topic. But I'll see if this gets any traction first.
Old 07-18-16, 01:51 PM
joe311
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

we were all set on the NX back when the 2016 was just about to come out. The NX came out first then the RX about a month later. We didn't have a car to drive at the time and in the end we ended up waiting for the RX and paying a slightly more premium for being the first few ones to have the brand new RX. We were so glad with we didn't get the NX since it was so much of a tighter feel in the front seat. There wasn't much room since the seats felt more snug than the RX. We had a NX loaner for a few days while our RX was in for service. The only thing i miss about the NX was the better mileage but of course it is a much weaker car than the RX. The turbo does drive more agressive than the RX but it purrs too loud for it to really pick up speed where the RX would growl nicely. No regrets with the RX over NX decision. The RX is such a better ride.
Old 07-31-16, 09:11 PM
aztr0
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by asheville
I was sold on getting a NX 200 until I drove it. I first drove an RX then drove the NX. I couldn't talk myself into the NX after that point. The turbo charger felt pretty weak, it felt very cramped and the controls, etc also felt like a much lower grade. To me, it was a no brainer to get the Rx.
I also test drove the RX350 F Sport, and then went to the NX200t F Sport. I really wanted to get a nightfall mica RX, but for now, we do not need that big of a vehicle, and decided to go with an ultra white/rioja red NX200t F Sport.
Old 08-01-16, 05:27 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm on my 3rd Rxh (2008, 2013, now 2016). I recently had my 5K service and they put me in a 16 Nx....meh. No thanks. I didn't like the layout of the controls, screen, etc. And this Nx was probably a base model as it no extras. Man, did I miss my ventilated seat in this Houston heat!
Old 08-01-16, 10:40 AM
gostephens
Driver School Candidate

We sat inside the NX and the finish of the car was not in the same league as the RX to us. We did not even test drive the NX and purchased an RX after such an awesome test ride.

Last edited by gostephens; 08-01-16 at 10:42 AM. Reason: mispelling
Old 08-01-16, 05:23 PM
Koetsu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Please permit a contrarian viewpoint ....

For some of us, the RX has become too bloody big. Yes, the RX rides better, but it is less maneuverable, handles less well, more difficult to park, and a bit more thirsty. The NX in sport mode feels quicker and one can comfortably take a curved exit ramp at about 10 mph faster than with an RX. The IP design of the RX is awfully busy/cluttered compared to the simpler, cleaner aesthetic for the NX. If one selects the luxury option, one can end up with pretty much the same equipment, including the ventilated (heated and cooled) leather seats, real wood trim, auto LED headlights, and so forth. This does place the NX in an overlapping price range with the RX, but then the final choice is often not a matter of cost, but (again) of desired size.

To each their own.
Old 08-02-16, 02:03 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Koetsu
Please permit a contrarian viewpoint ....

For some of us, the RX has become too bloody big. Yes, the RX rides better, but it is less maneuverable, handles less well, more difficult to park, and a bit more thirsty. The NX in sport mode feels quicker and one can comfortably take a curved exit ramp at about 10 mph faster than with an RX. The IP design of the RX is awfully busy/cluttered compared to the simpler, cleaner aesthetic for the NX. If one selects the luxury option, one can end up with pretty much the same equipment, including the ventilated (heated and cooled) leather seats, real wood trim, auto LED headlights, and so forth. This does place the NX in an overlapping price range with the RX, but then the final choice is often not a matter of cost, but (again) of desired size.

To each their own.
A lot of what you wrote is extemely subjective. For the things that can be measured for example, the turning circle for the RX is 38.8 ft whereas the NX is 39.8 ft.

You do not get pretty much the same equipment. There are a lot of features missing in the NX vs RX, for example:
  • 7" display max vs 8" standard (12.3" screen max)
  • NuLuxe vinyl vs perforated leather
  • perforated leather (luxury package) vs semi-aniline leather (luxury)
  • 19" wheels max (18" F Sport) vs 20" wheels
  • no panoramic roof
  • no cold weather package (fast interior heater, wiper defrosters)
  • 2000lb tow capacity vs 3500lb tow capacity
  • no panoramic view monitor
  • no ventilated seats on F Sport
  • no Mark Levinson sound system option
  • 8 speaker standard (10 premium) vs 12 speaker standard
  • no HUD
  • no LSS+ (all speed cruise control, lane keeping assist)
  • no AVS

Last edited by ericsan13; 08-02-16 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Added more missing features
Old 08-02-16, 04:44 PM
Koetsu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
A lot of what you wrote is extemely subjective. For the things that can be measured for example, the turning circle for the RX is 38.8 ft whereas the NX is 39.8 ft.

You do not get pretty much the same equipment. There are a lot of features missing in the NX vs RX, for example:
  • 7" display max vs 8" standard (12.3" screen max)
  • NuLuxe vinyl vs perforated leather
  • perforated leather (luxury package) vs semi-aniline leather (luxury)
  • 19" wheels max (18" F Sport) vs 20" wheels
  • no panoramic roof
  • no cold weather package (fast interior heater, wiper defrosters)
  • 2000lb tow capacity vs 3500lb tow capacity
  • no panoramic view monitor
  • no ventilated seats on F Sport
  • no Mark Levinson sound system option
  • 8 speaker standard (10 premium) vs 12 speaker standard
  • no HUD
  • no LSS+ (all speed cruise control, lane keeping assist)
  • no AVS
Well, heck, much of the content of this thread is highly subjective.

Sure for about $10k+ more one can enjoy those additional features in an RX. At about $48k the features are fairly close with the typical RX350 coming in a bit shy depending on build. Some of the features you list (AVS, HUD, panoramic roof, Levinson) are available for the NX outside of the USA and might become available down the road (2018?). One can always spend more to get more, but one still has to be accepting of the size of the new RX, made larger to accommodate that coming third row seat. As I stated, for some of us the new RX has become too large regardless of cost. The NX just feels more athletic (less mass, shorter wheel base). Oh, ... and don't throw in the towel until one tries an NX200t equipped with Michelin tires. The Yokos found on many new NX's will not permit the NX to be auditioned at its potential best.

Last edited by Koetsu; 08-02-16 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Edit.

Quick Reply: Anyone buy an Rx350 who originally planned on a NX?