RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

XM Trial Subscription Renewal

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-16, 09:35 AM
Macs4RX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XM Trial Subscription Renewal

Just wondering if folks are renewing their XM radio subscription after the 3 month trial period? I would renew it if it wasn't for the fact that they require subscribers to actually call them to cancel (if in the future you change your mind). If XM had a business model like Netflix, where you can simply go online to cancel your service, I would definitely renew. But no way I want to call them - with the personnel begging and groveling for you to stay with the service.
Old 07-14-16, 09:57 AM
boomer10
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At first I wasn't interested at all in SiriusXM, until I started listening to it. MUCH better radio programming than the crap I get in Houston. I definitely renewed.

Remember, the SiriusXM personnel begging and groveling = discounts on the service.
Old 07-14-16, 10:07 AM
dfc350
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Toward the end of the trial period, I received several mailings offering a reduced price (about $60 off). I accepted that price, and in a year, I'll let it expire and see if they do the same again.

If you want to cancel, it looks like you can just go online and change the credit card on your account that's used to auto-renew to something invalid but I've never tried that.
Old 07-14-16, 10:13 AM
Curryolla
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't recall XM being too difficult to cancel. In fact, bommer10 is 100% correct. The begging and groveling does in fact give a massive discount. Couple of years ago, I got two years of service for something like ~$130. Not a bad deal, but I have since cancelled my subscription. I was only listening to two channels anyway (Classic Vinyl and Classic Rewind).
Old 07-14-16, 12:02 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

I find their pricing is way too high for what they provide. Pandora is $55/year and it does not:

-cut out in parking garages, mountain passes, under overpasses...
-have ads!
Old 07-14-16, 12:43 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Macs4RX
Just wondering if folks are renewing their XM radio subscription after the 3 month trial period? I would renew it if it wasn't for the fact that they require subscribers to actually call them to cancel (if in the future you change your mind). If XM had a business model like Netflix, where you can simply go online to cancel your service, I would definitely renew. But no way I want to call them - with the personnel begging and groveling for you to stay with the service.
I called them a few weeks before the trial ended and had them mail me a bill so I could have the bank send them a check. I would not use a credit card or personal check with these people as they can be "slimy". They will even auto renew using your checking account so beware.
Old 07-14-16, 12:44 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by dfc350
Toward the end of the trial period, I received several mailings offering a reduced price (about $60 off). I accepted that price, and in a year, I'll let it expire and see if they do the same again.

If you want to cancel, it looks like you can just go online and change the credit card on your account that's used to auto-renew to something invalid but I've never tried that.
It will not accept an invalid CC. It checks when you change it and will revert. back.

Last edited by ggebhardt; 08-05-16 at 02:02 AM.
Old 07-14-16, 01:57 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

They used to be very hard to cancel. They would just renew without notice. They are much more customer friendly now. Of course they are going to try and keep subscribers and offer deals, but what business doesn't.
Old 07-14-16, 04:20 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

SiriusXM charges $2 to send a paper invoice to ask for you $$$. They will invoice you and expect you to pay if you don't call them before the 90 day free subscription expires. I also do not give them my Credit Card and comment regards your checking account is interesting. I know that the "Music Only" feature subscription is about half of the full up price and that is what I have been subscribing to. I think they also operate the "Lexus Enform" feature on your car, at least that's what the e-mail address was for "Enform".
Old 07-14-16, 09:21 PM
pdaeng
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

XM is like a scam.

Get a Sportify Premium for $10/month. You can download whatever music in your iPhone.
Then you can play through bluetooth.
Way much better quality and you can use your offline music not only for driving but also for jogging or whatever you like.
Old 07-14-16, 10:45 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

My girlfriend's son bought a new Highlander in 2010 and had XM in it. He continued it after the trial period and decided to cancel it a couple months in. They would not cancel him after him repeatedly calling them. They continued billing as usual. He finally got them off his back after a whole month passed.
Because of his bad experience, I will not extend XM in my 4rx. My trial expires in 3 days. I will ultimately inform them of the above reason if they badger me one more time to extend. They hit me up in US mail and email like 6 times. Very annoying. And very telling too.
Old 07-15-16, 03:42 AM
asheville
Driver School Candidate

I have been an XM subscriber for years. Usually just renew every year for half price. Usually comes to 130 a year or something.

I will not be renewing. Now that I have full IPod integration and also Pandora, etc it just doesn't make sense. Also compared to IPod, Xm sounds like an AM radio.
Old 07-15-16, 04:57 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

If you guys like XM/Sirrus radio then DO NOT RENEW! Trust me on this one. Just call in and cancel. The sales rep will ask you why you cancel. Tell them the renewal fee is too expensive and you cannot afford it. The XM/Sirrus employee will offer you a massive discount. I end up paying like $65 a year for their best service with all channels plus weather and traffic. I then do the same thing Next year.

Take the $150+ dollars you save and get yourself a nice gift or use it for your gas fund.
Old 07-15-16, 06:26 AM
jdshaw
Rookie

Never give Sirius/XM your credit card number.
Only $ reasonable way to renew is to call and cancel a couple days before the expiration date. You will then get a five month promotional rate for $32. Repeat....
Old 08-04-16, 01:43 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thought I would pass this along, as I've had the same progression of offers for my 2010, 2013 and now my 2016 RX 450h's, after the Sirius (XM All Access Package) 3 month trial has ended. Received the following on my 2016 RX 450h:

1. Shortly before my 3 month trial ended I received a renewal form in the mail to continue, but for the (XM Select Package only) and for the regular price of $14.99 a month. Could save a tiny bit more with $164.89 year, $329.78 for 2 years or $494.67 for 3 years. Bad deals, but sure they get takers. Since then they have now raised the regular price to $15.99 a month.
2. At 4 months I received a renewal offer letter for (XM Select Package) at $89 for 12 months which would be $7.42 a month (Regular price $15,99 a month), plus the $15 reactivation fee waived.
3. At 6 months, which I have just received, I received a renewal offer for (XM Select Package), $4.99 a month for 6 months (regular price $15.99 a month), plus the $15 reactivation fee waived.

The 3 month trial does not require cancelation, but all others have automatic renewal as the fine print on all the offers says "Plan will automatically renew and be charged to my payment method and that I must call 1-866-635-2349 to cancel", so need to cancel when the time comes. I've renewed each time with credit card when the $4.99 a month offer comes around, as XM Select Package is plenty for me, but have never extended beyond that. Have had no problem when the time comes to cancel when using the current cancelation number 1-866-635-2349, and probably would be the best time to bargain an extension with the already low price. Maybe wouldn't get the $4.99 price, but a good starting point for bargaining. Also all plans have to add on about 1.4% for fees and taxes.

Quick Reply: XM Trial Subscription Renewal