RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Driving In ECO Mode

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-16, 12:57 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driving In ECO Mode

Yesterday I drove all day in ECO mode for the first time in my 4RX. I never gave ECO a good shot till now. My own personal experience, pertaining to the whole upshift-too-soon/drone/gear hunting thing, is that it seems the transmission is mapped a LOT better for mild acceleration and slight uphills stuff around town than drive mode. So in my own experiences with mine, ECO mode is even better than S-mode or sport because you can leave the shifter alone but get smoother plus economical upshifts. All your power is still there when you need it in ECO-when you get into the throttle, it's the around-town throttle stuff that I believe ECO is most effective within. I just wanted to share this with others and suggest you try ECO yourself to see if you have the same experience. It still wants to upshift sooner but it's not as "boggy" as in drive. I want to say that the lockout converter doesn't happen in ECO is why. Better for the motor not to lug it IMHO.
Old 07-09-16, 06:59 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Maby the engineers at Lexus got it backwards when programing the eco and normal modes and accidently switch the two mode with each other. Thats why eco feels like normal and normal feels like eco?

We might me on to something here.....
Old 07-09-16, 07:23 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Does the hybrid manual say to not use Eco in the city like the 350? If so, your post makes things really confusing.
Old 07-09-16, 09:35 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

The A/C output is also reduced in ECO mode...
Old 07-10-16, 08:26 AM
Radio88
Pole Position

Alieninvader-that's a good one! It sure seems that way doesn't it? It's ironic to me that this thing acts up when you are trying to be frugal in your acceleratings, but then it straightens right out when you're into the throttle. Boggling. I don't like the idea that this trans boggs the motor so much just to achieve Lexus' claims of mileage. I will not allow it.
Old 07-10-16, 04:24 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

It's going to be over 100F for ten days here, don't like the idea of the Eco Mode diminishing the A/C output
Old 07-10-16, 05:38 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

I tried eco mode. I didn't like it. The acceleration wasn't there when I needed it unless I really punched it. It does seem good for people who don't like the jerky movements since it keeps it at low RPMS
Old 07-10-16, 05:45 PM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by skiracer
The A/C output is also reduced in ECO mode...
how do you know this? Reduce a lot?
Old 07-10-16, 06:24 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sirtiger
It's in the manual. Pgs. 369, 371, and on 372 it states: "ECO mode controls the heating/cooling ops and fan speed of the AC system to enhance fuel efficiency."
I used auto-AC during my full day use of ECO and saw no difference in temp. But it also wasn't hot out. Maybe you guys in the hell-hot areas need to stay out of ECO.
Old 07-10-16, 09:30 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sirtiger
Just put your hand over the vent before and after you push the ECO button...
Old 07-11-16, 02:26 PM
Macs4RX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Radio88
Yesterday I drove all day in ECO mode for the first time in my 4RX. I never gave ECO a good shot till now. My own personal experience, pertaining to the whole upshift-too-soon/drone/gear hunting thing, is that it seems the transmission is mapped a LOT better for mild acceleration and slight uphills stuff around town than drive mode. So in my own experiences with mine, ECO mode is even better than S-mode or sport because you can leave the shifter alone but get smoother plus economical upshifts. All your power is still there when you need it in ECO-when you get into the throttle, it's the around-town throttle stuff that I believe ECO is most effective within. I just wanted to share this with others and suggest you try ECO yourself to see if you have the same experience. It still wants to upshift sooner but it's not as "boggy" as in drive. I want to say that the lockout converter doesn't happen in ECO is why. Better for the motor not to lug it IMHO.
Thanks for the tip. I haven't tried ECO mode yet but I'll give it a try. I'm still using S-mode (manual shifting) almost exclusively with occasional use of Sport mode. Normal mode just doesn't work for me because of the "whole upshift-too-soon/drone/gear hunting thing".
Old 07-11-16, 05:09 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

For your information Eco mode does decrease A/C output but you can change the settings with Lexus Personalized settings so that when in eco mode A/C is not affected. Carista app is the easiest way to change that setting.
Old 07-11-16, 07:27 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Macs4RX
Thanks for the tip. I haven't tried ECO mode yet but I'll give it a try. I'm still using S-mode (manual shifting) almost exclusively with occasional use of Sport mode. Normal mode just doesn't work for me because of the "whole upshift-too-soon/drone/gear hunting thing".
You are welcome and I hope you add in here your experience with it.
Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
For your information Eco mode does decrease A/C output but you can change the settings with Lexus Personalized settings so that when in eco mode A/C is not affected. Carista app is the easiest way to change that setting.
I was again all day in ECO mode and I have to say, that the AC was blowing icy cold in auto mode. But again, not hot out. I have my temp set at 67* and that air comes out cold! I am sure that on a 90* day though, I would definitely see the difference.
Old 07-11-16, 07:30 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RGSW
It's going to be over 100F for ten days here, don't like the idea of the Eco Mode diminishing the A/C output
Try it in ECO for a little bit in that heat and tell us how your AC did compared to normal.
Old 07-12-16, 07:27 AM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Radio88
Try it in ECO for a little bit in that heat and tell us how your AC did compared to normal.
WHen iu was in ECO mode in SoCal heat, i personally was fine with the thermostat set at 70 degrees, but my rear passengers said they felt warm. Yes i had the rear vents on....

Quick Reply: Driving In ECO Mode