RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Can anybody explain the automatic air intake mode

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-16, 07:33 PM
pdaeng
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Can anybody explain the automatic air intake mode

newbie question again:

In my previous car, the climate automatic mode will automatically control the air intake as well.
But in the new RX, there is an extra automatic air intake mode button.
(i.e. RX has a automatic mode and a automatic air intake mode )

Every time, I start the car, the air intake mode is in recirculated air mode.
So, I have to press the button to switch to the automatic mode, which is very annoying.

Is it possible to let the automatic air intake mode always on after starting the car?
Old 06-27-16, 08:09 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

Hmm..

2 auto buttons, one giant one and one for the recirculate mode.

Usually you just leave it alone but I never do.

What I found out was that when the ac is on it goes into recirculate mode. When it is off, it automatically goes to fresh air mode. When it is in AUTO, I believe it controls things on its own.
Old 06-27-16, 08:13 PM
pdaeng
Driver

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
Hmm..

2 auto buttons, one giant one and one for the recirculate mode.

Usually you just leave it alone but I never do.

What I found out was that when the ac is on it goes into recirculate mode. When it is off, it automatically goes to fresh air mode. When it is in AUTO, I believe it controls things on its own.
I am just curious to know when in AUTO , it controls things on its own by what kind of logic?
For any auto function, I hope it is the default setting, i.e. turn on at start.

Currently, I really hate the recirculate mode because of the new car smell.
Old 06-27-16, 08:43 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by pdaeng
I am just curious to know when in AUTO , it controls things on its own by what kind of logic?
For any auto function, I hope it is the default setting, i.e. turn on at start.

Currently, I really hate the recirculate mode because of the new car smell.
if it works anything like the RC-F then:

1) When I set the AC temperature too low it switches to inside air to cool down faster
2) When the sensor detects exhaust fumes coming from the outside it will switch to inside air

The "AUTO AC" button controls the first case. The "AUTO recirculate" button controls the second case.

my RCF owners manual explains it pretty clearly.

I leave mine on auto/auto. auto AC / auto recirculate, temp set at 72° car is always comfortable, lately with the temps being in the high 90° low 100°s I open the sunroof and windows after I start the car and drive to the end of my block and it exhausts all the trapped interior heat then I close everything and the car controls the HVAC and it stays comfortable.

FWIW I see it move from fresh to recirc. as I am driving, typically at highway speeds it's in fresh mode, and in stop and go it changes to recirc, which makes sense if it is detecting pollution.

Last edited by mjeds; 06-28-16 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-27-16, 10:22 PM
pdaeng
Driver

Originally Posted by mjeds
if it works anything like the RC-F then:

1) When I set the AC temperature too low it switches to inside air to cool down faster
2) When the sensor detects exhaust fumes coming from the outside it will switch to inside air

The "AUTO AC" button controls the first case. The "AUTO recirculate" button (the one that's failing for me) controls the second case.

my RCF owners manual explains it pretty clearly.

I leave mine on auto/auto. auto AC / auto recirculate, temp set at 72° car is always comfortable, lately with the temps being in the high 90° low 100°s I open the sunroof and windows after I start the car and drive to the end of my block and it exhausts all the trapped interior heat then I close everything and the car controls the HVAC and it stays comfortable.

FWIW I see it move from fresh to recirc. as I am driving, typically at highway speeds it's in fresh mode, and in stop and go it changes to recirc, which makes sense if it is detecting pollution.
thanks for the information
Old 06-28-16, 01:47 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

I noticed that if you turn off the climate control when turning off the car, it'll default to recirc when you turn on the car next time and turn on climate control again. If you leave both in Auto when you turn off the car, the car will start in Auto for both. It usually starts in recirc and changes with outside temperature.
Old 06-28-16, 03:03 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
I noticed that if you turn off the climate control when turning off the car, it'll default to recirc when you turn on the car next time and turn on climate control again. If you leave both in Auto when you turn off the car, the car will start in Auto for both. It usually starts in recirc and changes with outside temperature.
I think these are settings within the vehicle configuration that a dealer (or someone with the carista app/device) can change.

http://www.caristaapp.com/customizat...xus_rx350_2014

Heater & A/C:

Temperature dial calibration
-2°C / -1°C / NORMAL / +1°C / +2°C

A/C evaporator control
AUTOMATIC / MANUAL

A/C ECO mode
ENABLED / DISABLED

Auto-increase blower speed when front defroster is on
YES / NO

Auto-turn on A/C when AUTO button pressed (if needed)
YES / NO

Deactivate front defroster when AUTO button pressed
YES / NO
Old 06-28-16, 06:00 PM
frubalup
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've noticed that in auto it seems to respond to the set temperature vs external temperature. So if you have it on cooling, then it will automatically go to recirculate if the temperature outside is warmer than the set temperature and vice versa. Not sure if this is a coincidence or not...