RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Is the rx worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-16, 07:18 PM
winsalem
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Well instead of me b****in' about the herky jerky tranny and highly erratic "Safety System +" in my '16 RX 350, I drove to Charlotte today and traded it for a new '16 RX 450h. Same nebula exterior (but noble brown interior instead of stratus gray), and best of all, it has NO safety package.

Spotted it last night on dealer's website, drove down this morning, bargained a little, wrote 'em a check for the diff and drove the 450h home. (My 350 had 3,700 miles.) No lurching jumpy gear changing, no need to change to Sport mode to avoid it, just smoooth acceleration. You stomp this thing and it LEAPS into action. Like my ES 300h did, but with much less noise and thrashing (since it was a 4 cylinder).

No more having to bypass radar cruise...the stalk takes me directly to classic. Without steering assist it tracks beautifully, straight as an arrow at 80mph. I could have turned that assist off in the 350 but thought maybe it was indeed a good thing; now I see how stable the new RX's are...without extra gadgetry trying to center the RX on woefully worn highways in NC (many faded paint lines here, and probably just as bad elsewhere).

Best of all, it looks exactly the same as the 350 so nosey neighbors will never notice I'm in another new car. (Busybodies in Winston Salem tend to "count other peoples' money" as my NYC friends put it. They all need to find a more constructive hobby than me and my Lexi.)

The dealer [Hendrick] adds nitrogen in tires and slight tint for driver/passenger windows/moon roof glass to every Lex they sell...which I didn't mind paying for...just to get the 450h!

So I'm finally happy -- and I urge potential customers to test drive the 350 and 450h (and the F Sports) before you commit. You're gonna like ALL the RX models, and you'll have a chance to find out which models & options you really prefer. In my frenzy to get the new RX I should have slowed my roll and driven the 450h.

Each of us in Club Lexus may be different but we're all in the same Lexus family for good reasons: Style, quality, dependability, low cost of ownership, and great RESALE VALUE!

Last edited by winsalem; 07-01-16 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Updated official name of 'Safety System +'
Old 07-01-16, 07:23 PM
pdaeng
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by winsalem
Well instead of me b****in' about the herky jerky tranny and highly erratic "safety package" in my '16 RX 350, I drove to Charlotte today and traded it for a new '16 RX 450h. Same nebula exterior (but noble brown interior instead of stratus gray), and best of all, it has NO "safety package".

Spotted it last night on dealer's website, drove down this morning, bargained a little, wrote 'em a check for the diff and drove the 450h home. (My 350 had 3,700 miles.) No lurching jumpy gear changing, no need to change to Sport mode to avoid it, just smoooth acceleration. You stomp this thing and it LEAPS into action. Like my ES 300h did, but with much less noise and thrashing (since it was a 4 cylinder).

No more having to bypass radar cruise...the stalk takes me directly to classic. Without steering assist it tracks beautifully, straight as an arrow at 80mph. I could have turned that assist off in the 350 but thought maybe it was indeed a good thing; now I see how stable the new RX's are...without extra gadgetry trying to center the RX on woefully worn highways in NC (many faded paint lines here, and probably just as bad elsewhere).

Best of all, it looks exactly the same as the 350 so nosey neighbors will never notice I'm in another new car. (Busybodies in Winston Salem tend to "count other peoples' money" as my NYC friends put it. They all need to find a more constructive hobby than me and my Lexi.

The dealer [Hendrick] adds nitrogen in tires and slight tint for driver/passenger windows/moon roof glass to every Lex they sell...which I didn't mind paying for...just to get the 450h!

So I'm finally happy -- and I urge potential customers to test drive the 350 and 450h (and the F Sports) before you commit. You're gonna like ALL the RX models, and you'll have a chance to find out which you really prefer. In my frenzy to get the new RX I should have slowed my roll and driven the 450h.

Each of us in Club Lexus may be different but we're all in the same Lexus family for good reasons: Style, quality, dependability, low cost of ownership, and great RESALE VALUE!
I vote for 450h because I got a 450h. Love it. got 28mpg in the first tank.
Old 07-01-16, 07:45 PM
jalnsx
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Bought my wife one and she has driven RX's since 07. Pull the trigger I have hated everyone she has had and refused to drive but the 16' is much improved and I cannot see any negatives and she loves it!
Old 07-01-16, 07:51 PM
jalnsx
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by winsalem
Well instead of me b****in' about the herky jerky tranny and highly erratic "Safety System +" in my '16 RX 350, I drove to Charlotte today and traded it for a new '16 RX 450h. Same nebula exterior (but noble brown interior instead of stratus gray), and best of all, it has NO safety package.

No more having to bypass radar cruise...the stalk takes me directly to classic. Without steering assist it tracks beautifully, straight as an arrow at 80mph. I could have turned that assist off in the 350 but thought maybe it was indeed a good thing; now I see how stable the new RX's are...without extra gadgetry trying to center the RX on woefully worn highways in NC (many faded paint lines here, and probably just as bad elsewhere
Best of all, it looks exactly the same as the 350 so nosey neighbors will never notice I'm in another new car. (Busybodies in Winston Salem tend to "count other peoples' money" as my NYC friends put it. They all need to find a more constructive hobby than me and my Lexi.)

So I'm finally happy -- and I urge potential customers to test drive the 350 and 450h (and the F Sports) before you commit. You're gonna like ALL the RX models, and you'll have a chance to find out which models & options you really prefer. In my frenzy to get the new RX I should have slowed my roll and driven the 450h.

I am going to be noisy what did they offer on trade. I bought an LX this week and tried trading my wife's 16' rx350 on an f sport RX. Hers has 5800 miles and they only offered 43,500 which seemed low but looking that might be in line. They were discounting the f sport 5500 off!