RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Touch-Free is not worth it...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-16, 11:20 AM
boomer10
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the others. Just put my hand at the top-half of the logo and it's open within 2 seconds. Mine works great.
Old 06-24-16, 01:20 PM
dfc350
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by boomer10
I agree with the others. Just put my hand at the top-half of the logo and it's open within 2 seconds. Mine works great.
Same here. Was quite frustrating until I learned about the "top half" requirement.
Old 06-24-16, 01:45 PM
Waymok
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

The elbow works well, if I just stand beside the car it doesn't work. So actually have to have something more like a head, elbow, Hand over for it to work.

Love it actually, when i had to use it a few times to pick up some stuff and i was carry lots of stuff, my elbow worked well!
Old 06-26-16, 08:10 AM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

works for me but its a dumb option.
Old 06-26-16, 09:09 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

I agreee. works fine, not very useful. I'd prefer the door kick. YOu really have to get your elbow up there in internal rotation to activate the hands free trunk. haha
Old 06-27-16, 07:23 AM
Philthy84
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine works as described I guess but this is a feature I personally wouldn't option if I was special ordering. Since it was already optioned in the 4RX that was being delivered, I accepted it since it had everything else I was looking for as far as colors and options.
Old 06-27-16, 07:28 PM
macdee
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by WineGuy
I wanted to ask others' thoughts regarding the Touch Free Power Rear Door.

There is a thread already where many have expressed their frustration with the operation; and yes, I have and continue to experience this myself. It finally dawned on me that I go through the 'hovering' and placement dance all the time. A friend was watching this the other day and asked if there wasn't just a button; I noted that there was one about six inches away that is very reliable. After that day, I quit using Touch Free.

I think that I was going through all those gyrations because I didn't want to admit that I had wasted $200 ! But now, I admit it.

I saw the cool "use your foot" when your hands are full that other brands offer, and just assumed that this would be just as good. It's not. So, anyone else wish they hadn't wasted $200 ?
My car came with this built-in by default, so no money wasted (I guess?…), but I too find it EXTREMELY annoying to use.

I have sensitivity cranked up to the max, I did my training with the upper-part-of-logo emblem a gajillion of times, and I still sometimes stand in front of my car's rear door holding my hand like a damn fool, and this thing just WON'T OPEN.

Sometimes I think if there's such a thing at Lexus as usability testing? Because there are WAY too many little things which just don't work in optimal ways, and which could have been caught in just a few days of usability testing. Jeez…

So, a very nice idea, but implementation is GOD AWFUL Rarely use it at all…
Old 06-28-16, 11:30 AM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by macdee
My car came with this built-in by default, so no money wasted (I guess?…), but I too find it EXTREMELY annoying to use.

I have sensitivity cranked up to the max, I did my training with the upper-part-of-logo emblem a gajillion of times, and I still sometimes stand in front of my car's rear door holding my hand like a damn fool, and this thing just WON'T OPEN.

Sometimes I think if there's such a thing at Lexus as usability testing? Because there are WAY too many little things which just don't work in optimal ways, and which could have been caught in just a few days of usability testing. Jeez…

So, a very nice idea, but implementation is GOD AWFUL Rarely use it at all…
I used to get so frustrated I wanted to scream so I just quit using it. After a while I decided to try again, ( things that won't work drive me insane). I found that if you just barely touch the top of the emblem it works every time. Hands, elbows, or even the side of a box I was carrying.
Old 06-28-16, 04:01 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by sandy14
I used to get so frustrated I wanted to scream so I just quit using it. After a while I decided to try again, ( things that won't work drive me insane). I found that if you just barely touch the top of the emblem it works every time. Hands, elbows, or even the side of a box I was carrying.
Post #5 and #7:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post9529629
Old 06-28-16, 04:56 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

What about post #2??
Old 06-28-16, 06:01 PM
macdee
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sandy14
Hah! It never occurred to me that I can actually touch this "touch-free" thingy (neither to my dealer to whom I complained about this)… Talk about thinking outside the box
I'll give it a try. Thanks!
Old 06-29-16, 12:22 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by Radio88
What about post #2??
I think her realization is that you don't have to hover. You can actually touch the emblem and it will work just fine. It also looks less ridiculous.
Old 06-29-16, 01:36 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ericsan13
I think her realization is that you don't have to hover. You can actually touch the emblem and it will work just fine. It also looks less ridiculous.
OK I see that now. For me, I'd rather look a little ridiculous doing the hover thing (which for my RX works every single time) than having my greasy fingerprints all over my emblem
Old 06-29-16, 02:50 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by Radio88
OK I see that now. For me, I'd rather look a little ridiculous doing the hover thing (which for my RX works every single time) than having my greasy fingerprints all over my emblem
It is fun to pretend to be a jedi. You can use your knuckles or elbow if you're worried about dirtying the emblem. Almost anything works.
Old 06-29-16, 08:36 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
It is fun to pretend to be a jedi. You can use your knuckles or elbow if you're worried about dirtying the emblem. Almost anything works.
It will work by just holding your hand about half an inch above the emblem. I started out lightly touching it till it became familiar. Now I just get close, it beeps, move my hand, and up she goes.

Quick Reply: Touch-Free is not worth it...