RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

When HUD display can't be seen.

Old 06-23-16, 01:12 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiboater
I posted this in another thread about the hard to see HUD. I have a 2016 Yukon and a 2016 RX-350 both with HUD. The Yukon HUD is bright and there is no issue with bright sun, sunglasses and concrete roads. The Lexus is impossible to see on the same road. I have been paying more attention and the more I drive both of these vehicles I have to believe that this is either a flaw in a lot of Lexus cars or a design issue.

Is anyone happy with their Lexus HUD in sunlight with Polaroid or non-Polaroid sun glasses?
I find my HUD perfectly bright with non-polarized (not polaroid) glasses in sunny mid-day weather. Have you gone to the dealership to check whether or not it is something wrong with your specific model? Did you turn the brightness of your HUD to max?
Old 06-23-16, 02:57 PM
Kiboater
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
I find my HUD perfectly bright with non-polarized (not polaroid) glasses in sunny mid-day weather. Have you gone to the dealership to check whether or not it is something wrong with your specific model? Did you turn the brightness of your HUD to max?
Eric: Glad to hear that my issue might be fixable. Thanks for responding. Yes, the brightness is turned all the way up and I will take it in to see if they can fix it.

Frank
Old 06-23-16, 03:52 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiboater
Eric: Glad to hear that my issue might be fixable. Thanks for responding. Yes, the brightness is turned all the way up and I will take it in to see if they can fix it.

Frank
Take a look at other cars with Lexus HUDs while you're there - then you'll know if your HUD is abnormal. Also turn your HUD brightness all the way down, and then turn it all the way up. Just to make sure there isn't something going on with the controls.
Old 06-23-16, 05:00 PM
Jetstar
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The dealer agreed.

It's the polarized character of the HUD display, and he will report the problem to Lexus. If you are wearing polarized glasses, roll your head to the right about 90 degrees. The display becomes very bright.
Old 07-24-16, 07:11 AM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default HUD display

Its too bad that Lexus screwed this HUD display up in the new model. I test drove one in June and noticed I could not see it while wearing sunglasses. However, my 2013 RX350 has the HUD and it works just fine with polarized sun glasses. A great step....backwards.

dentate
Oshawa, ON and Port Charlotte, FL
Old 07-24-16, 12:26 PM
pdaeng
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you guys think that if all of us complain to Lexus, Lexus will issue a recall of some kind to fix this?
Old 07-24-16, 07:44 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

not sure what they could do besides install some screen to display the hud on or coat the windshield. I broke down and got new non-polarized glasses specifically for my RX. Im happy now...
Old 07-25-16, 03:16 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by pdaeng
Do you guys think that if all of us complain to Lexus, Lexus will issue a recall of some kind to fix this?
Not going to happen
Old 07-25-16, 11:13 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by pdaeng
IF you complained enough, or more than enough, Lexus will refund the cost of this option...so you can turn it off.
Old 07-27-16, 11:42 AM
ccb777
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a BMW with HUD and have driven MB with HUD. All can barely be seen with polarized sunglasses. The same as Lexus. In fact the Lexus can be turn brighter than those others. I have non-polarized sunglasses. I can see them all!
Old 04-30-17, 10:54 AM
jmtamu
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Speaking of HUD, I wish there was a way for HUD to work with Polarized glasses. It's such a tradeoff deciding whether to wear my glasses or see the HUD.
Old 04-30-17, 12:44 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by jmtamu
Speaking of HUD, I wish there was a way for HUD to work with Polarized glasses. It's such a tradeoff deciding whether to wear my glasses or see the HUD.
If someone could invent some type of a reflective yet translucent sticker you put on the windshield, right where the HUD reflects, that would negate the polarized effect, I would buy for sure. Most of my driving is during the day except for early morning and I wear my sunglasses constantly, makes me forget there even is a HUD cause I can't see it.
Old 04-30-17, 07:49 PM
StephyKay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
If someone could invent some type of a reflective yet translucent sticker you put on the windshield, right where the HUD reflects, that would negate the polarized effect, I would buy for sure. Most of my driving is during the day except for early morning and I wear my sunglasses constantly, makes me forget there even is a HUD cause I can't see it.
If they made that I would buy it in a heartbeat. I cannot drive without my polarized glasses and it makes the HUD barely visible. I put it a little higher on the windshield so I could see it better. That helped a little.
Old 04-30-17, 08:13 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by jmtamu
My polarized sunglasses are polarized to a 45 degree angle than the HUD polarization. I see the HUD but not as bright as without the sunglasses. If I tilt my head one way, I do not see it. If I tilt it the other way, the HUD gets brighter. Same issue with my phone screen.

I talked with some optics experts some time ago and they explained the way the light reflects from the windshield will always be polarized and there was no way to prevent that. Too bad.
Old 04-30-17, 09:20 PM
jmtamu
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
That would be awesome and would probably make the inventor a ton of money!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: When HUD display can't be seen.