RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

When HUD display can't be seen.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-16, 06:33 PM
lexitaxi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default When HUD display can't be seen.

I'm considering getting the heads up display on our next RX. Has anyone who has this option noticed any visibility differences with the display when viewed through polarized lenses in either bright sun or when its overcast? As a point of reference, when wearing my polarized sunglasses in the bright sun, it's sometimes challenging to see my iPhone/iPad screen.

Anyone experience this with the heads up display?

Appreciate the insights!
Old 03-29-16, 07:33 PM
Vincent05
Driver

I think I read somewhere in a thread here that you can't see the HUD with a polarize sunglass. Don't remember which thread.
Old 03-29-16, 08:14 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No, it's not visible with polarized lenses. Sometimes I can barely make out the speed but usually I don't see it at all.

I would still buy it again though. It's great at night or on a cloudy day.
Old 03-30-16, 03:30 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Mine is visible with my polarized glasses but it's brightness is reduced. I would not give it up though, it is a great option in my opinion even for just night time driving. Tilting your head to the right or left a few degrees makes it show up great while wearing your sunglasses.
Old 03-30-16, 04:58 AM
naplesam
Driver School Candidate

Default Agreed!

Originally Posted by RXOwner
Mine is visible with my polarized glasses but it's brightness is reduced. I would not give it up though, it is a great option in my opinion even for just night time driving. Tilting your head to the right or left a few degrees makes it show up great while wearing your sunglasses.
I had HUD on my 2013 RX and now with the 2016 RX. The 2016 is slightly dimmer with polarized glasses as compared to the 2013. I turn the brightness all the way up when wearing polarized and have no problem except with a street/road with lighter pavement. Still pretty new though, so getting used to it. Time will tell, but it is such a great feature I'd still go with it.
Old 03-30-16, 05:41 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

its in the manual too.

up the brightness all the way to help but its better without sunglases
Old 03-30-16, 07:59 AM
lexitaxi
Driver School Candidate

Appreciate the insights! I like the technology and find it valuable. I just didn't want it to be one of those after the fact, ah ha, moments where you'd regret the purchase. Glad to hear that you'd still purchase it. It's good to hear that it can still be visible by either increasing the brightness or by turning one's head slightly when wearing sunglasses and would definitely be fully leveraged on cloudy days or at night.
Old 06-15-16, 05:44 PM
Kiboater
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2016 Yukon and a 2106 RX-350 both with heads up display. The display in the Yukon is much brighter. With regular sunglasses I can easily read the display in bright sunlight with the Yukon but the Lexis is barely readable. I am using the same non-Polaroid sunglasses in both vehicles.

With Polaroids the Yukon is hard to see and the Lexis has no display visible. It would be great if Lexis increased the level of light but I suspect that it will always be this way. I could not find any custom settings for the HUD.
Old 06-15-16, 07:06 PM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There are HUD brightness and position settings in the multi information display.
Old 06-22-16, 10:09 AM
Jetstar
Driver School Candidate

Default When HUD display can't be seen.

The HUD display is almost impossible to see under these circumstances: In bright daylight, when the road surface is light-colored (like on concrete instead of black asphalt) and you are wearing polarized sunglasses. My dealer's solution was to apply a dark piece of vinyl on the outside of the windshield where the display is projected. Who would have thought you would wear sunglasses of a bright sunny day? You missed on this one, Lexus.
Old 06-22-16, 10:30 AM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

True, it's a tough challenge to get right. For me, the best visibility is when I lean slightly to my right, which is not normal...not sure if this is true for others, if so, Lexus got the center line alignment a bit off. With that said, I still like it, even with polarized glasses on (HUD brightness all the way up).
Old 06-22-16, 10:43 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

If only they had the polarization of the display shifted 90 degrees. Case in point, everyone complaining turn your glasses 90 degrees and viola you have HUD.
Old 06-22-16, 10:46 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearcat
If only they had the polarization of the display shifted 90 degrees. Case in point, everyone complaining turn your glasses 90 degrees and viola you have HUD.
Lexus missed this one because all polarized sunglasses are oriented the same way (at least from my experience). I switched to normal sunglasses as a workaround, but the HUD is still very useful.
Old 06-22-16, 11:15 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Lexus missed this one because all polarized sunglasses are oriented the same way (at least from my experience). I switched to normal sunglasses as a workaround, but the HUD is still very useful.
Correct, all polarized sunwear is positioned vertically.
Old 06-22-16, 07:50 PM
Kiboater
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I posted this in another thread about the hard to see HUD. I have a 2016 Yukon and a 2016 RX-350 both with HUD. The Yukon HUD is bright and there is no issue with bright sun, sunglasses and concrete roads. The Lexus is impossible to see on the same road. I have been paying more attention and the more I drive both of these vehicles I have to believe that this is either a flaw in a lot of Lexus cars or a design issue.

Is anyone happy with their Lexus HUD in sunlight with Polaroid or non-Polaroid sun glasses?

Quick Reply: When HUD display can't be seen.