RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

About to take the plunge - Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-16, 06:42 AM
destro888
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default About to take the plunge - Need advice

Hi all,

I'm a few days lurker here and this will be my first post on this forum. I'm taking the family to the dealership in a few hours to test drive the 2016 RX350. I been in and out of the dealership a couple times this month but I think I'm ready to take the plunge.

I wanted to get everyone's opinion on their experience with their car. Anyone with regrets? Anyone have cautionary advice? Looking to get feedback.

Also, if there's anyone from Toronto that have purchased, I'm curious to know how much you paid for your car.

Thanks all.

I'm from Toronto, Canada
Interested in the RX350 F-sport 2 series - particularly black on red.
Plan to purchase
Current owner of a 2007 MDX.
Old 06-11-16, 08:25 AM
john221us
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by destro888
Hi all,

I'm a few days lurker here and this will be my first post on this forum. I'm taking the family to the dealership in a few hours to test drive the 2016 RX350. I been in and out of the dealership a couple times this month but I think I'm ready to take the plunge.

I wanted to get everyone's opinion on their experience with their car. Anyone with regrets? Anyone have cautionary advice? Looking to get feedback.

Also, if there's anyone from Toronto that have purchased, I'm curious to know how much you paid for your car.

Thanks all.

I'm from Toronto, Canada
Interested in the RX350 F-sport 2 series - particularly black on red.
Plan to purchase
Current owner of a 2007 MDX.
I like it. It feels a bit bigger than my G3 was and the city gas mileage isn't as good. It has great economics, though and plenty of power for my needs. Great value for the price, compared to the competition. This is my fourth RX. I have had two hybrids and two gas models.
Old 06-11-16, 09:21 AM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Drive an F Sport and non-F Sport. Seats and ride quality of the F-Sport have gotten complaints from some. The regular model is pretty much the luxury vehicle experience you would expect from Lexus. The F Sport is firmer and not to everyone's tastes.
Old 06-11-16, 03:19 PM
boomer10
Driver School Candidate

Have to admit, at first I suffered from technology overload, but after spending some time with the owners manual and the car, the RX is truly amazing. Very smooth ride. Great amount of room. The technology isn't difficult to understand or get used to. Compared to other vehicles in its class, an excellent value.
Old 06-11-16, 03:41 PM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

No regrets and I was just about to get a GS but this has been a great purchase.
Old 06-11-16, 05:27 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

I paid cash for mine and absolutely no regrets-this SUV is worth every penny. Smooth, very quiet inside, very plush, very good looking and gets a ton of looks. And now that mine is broken-in, I tried the power a couple times-this thing is QUICK. It launches with great authority-a very healthy v6 I would say.
I bought it mainly for its reliability reputation but all the attributes that plus this SUV are just amazing.
Old 06-11-16, 08:57 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

If you don't want a gurgling noise, get a 450h.
Old 06-12-16, 07:46 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearcat
If you don't want a gurgling noise, get a 450h.
I have not heard that in mine but it may have something to do with the great ML audio I"m always listening to.
Old 06-12-16, 05:48 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

I love my new RX. Absolutely no complaints
Great ride, awesome technology, and Toyota dependability.
I've owned the second and third generations and while I loved those cars this model blows everything else out there away.
Old 06-12-16, 06:53 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

did tons of research on all the suv models, mercedes, acura, toyota.

I purchased this vehicle simple because it's a lexus. Reliable. Sure there are some minor issues others have faced but Lexus always takes care of it. I found out that the electronics aren't as complicated as Mercedes which means easier to repair. Also, maintenance isn't as costly as other brands.

Is it powerful? Eh. It gets you where you want to go but it's no sports SUV.

How does it handle? Not like a sports car, but better than a rental on windy roads like the 152 freeway.

I have a 350 F sport. I love the interior, love the seats, love the cluster, the 12 inch display, as well as the ML system.

How is the safety system? It's not the best. It's nice to know that it will alert you but it's not anything like Tesla or Mercedes.

The looks are great too with the triple beam headlights. VERY bright light output.

Overall very happy with the purchase.
Old 06-13-16, 10:11 AM
destro888
Driver School Candidate

I truly value everyone's feedback, thank you.

The visit to the dealership went well. The employees in sales treated us with hotel like hospitality; even went as far as giving my two daughters stuffed Lexus teddy bears.

At the end of my test drive I sat and spent a good 15 minutes on the controls. I could have easily spent an hour. I would agree with you, there's a lot of technology, but no complaints. The drive was smooth. I didn't particularly care for the ECO mode but I think it will be useful in the winter when snow is on the ground. The fast cornering didn't feel as solid as the MDX that I'm use to but it's not a deal breaker. Overall I was impressed. The negotiating part of the day was a rough one. I'm stubborn so they definitely didn't like me towards the end.

I'm excited to pick up my new ride this weekend approaching. I look forward to sharing my experiences with you once I get the keys.

Open up the Lexus club house doors, I'm coming!
Old 06-13-16, 01:31 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Great to hear! Congratulations!
Old 06-14-16, 09:02 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Please post a comparison to your MDX. I am on my third MDX and plan to look at other vehicles this summer. I had a 16 RX350 Premium as a loaner last month when my wife's 300h was in for service. After all I have read here, I expected the vehicle to blow me away, but it did not. Maybe it was the trim level, but I just did not get the feeling that I had to have the vehicle. I will take a more detailed look at a Luxury trim with the options I want when I get serious but will be interested in your thoughts, particularly ride and handling.
Old 06-14-16, 12:02 PM
destro888
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wasjr
Please post a comparison to your MDX. I am on my third MDX and plan to look at other vehicles this summer. I had a 16 RX350 Premium as a loaner last month when my wife's 300h was in for service. After all I have read here, I expected the vehicle to blow me away, but it did not. Maybe it was the trim level, but I just did not get the feeling that I had to have the vehicle. I will take a more detailed look at a Luxury trim with the options I want when I get serious but will be interested in your thoughts, particularly ride and handling.
The MDX was a SUV I always wanted before I could afford it. I still remember the day I bought it, felt like a dream come true. I have driven it for six years and what made me appreciate it most was for it's solid ride. Smooth on turns, comfortable on long drives, easy city driving, and never felt like I could lose control on snow. Simply felt safe to drive no matter what condition. But like all vehicles, wear and tear comes with age and maintenance cost dig deep into pockets.

The past two months I looked at both MDX and RX350. For all the right reasons I mentioned, you probably wonder why I would switch to the RX350. I want a change. Unfortunately the MDX design did not change enough for me to stay committed. Now I can only hope that my experience with the RX350 will be just as great as the MDX or better.
Old 06-14-16, 01:12 PM
destro888
Driver School Candidate

How many KM or Miles is acceptable when a new car is picked up? Is there a policy that a new car can be deliver with up to so many KM (mileage)?

Quick Reply: About to take the plunge - Need advice