RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

New car smell - for how long?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-16, 08:16 PM
Hydrogen
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default New car smell - for how long?

Wanted to ask other 2016 RX owners how long it took for the interior 'new car smell' to go away?

My wife and I find it to be rather strong compared to other new cars we have purchased (from various makes other than Lexus).

It has even given me a dull headache if I drive it for an extended period of time.

Yes, driving with fresh air vs recirculate setting and cracking windows. Also, trying to 'bake out' the smell in the hot Florida sun with windows cracked. Leaving them cracked at night while the vehicle is in the garage too.

Thanks
Old 06-03-16, 08:37 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, you may not like my answer if you don't like the new car smell. My ES is 17 months old and it still has it. The RX is 5 months and driven the most. It still has it too.
You could try some car air freshener I guess.
Personally, I like it and try to preserve it.
Old 06-03-16, 10:15 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

My NX200t also had a strong new car smell. It was still there even after a year. I think the smell comes mostly from the nuluxe material on portions of the seat. Even if you have leather, isnt most of the seat made up of nuluxe or vinyl? That is my understanding. Leaving windows down in your garage (assuming you have a house) over night might help. I might start doing that with my RX.
Old 06-03-16, 10:57 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

My mother also had the same problem when she got her Lexus. She is very sensitive to smells. Might I suggest some baking soda boxes (like for the fridge) or charcoal air purifying packets. Here's a link for the charcoal packets:
Moso Natural Air Purifying Bag, Charcoal Color, 200-G https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BOH6BM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_0ZMuxbTWQMX0Z

Probably get a bigger bag for faster (maybe better) results.
Old 06-03-16, 11:30 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

My 1992 SC300 had that "new car smell" when I bought it in 2012 with 60k on the odometer. Mainly it was the smell of the leather inside, it was a wonderful aroma, none of those toxic plastic smells at all. That smell kind of faded out after a couple more years around 80k miles or so, but if I condition the seats I can bring back that "leather" smell for a few weeks.
Old 06-04-16, 06:16 AM
Hydrogen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dchar
My mother also had the same problem when she got her Lexus. She is very sensitive to smells. Might I suggest some baking soda boxes (like for the fridge) or charcoal air purifying packets. Here's a link for the charcoal packets:
Moso Natural Air Purifying Bag, Charcoal Color, 200-G https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BOH6BM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_0ZMuxbTWQMX0Z

Probably get a bigger bag for faster (maybe better) results.
Did your mother use baking soda or charcoal for this purpose - and if so, did it help?

How long did it take for her smell to finally wear off?
Old 06-04-16, 06:19 AM
Hydrogen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by roblim
My NX200t also had a strong new car smell. It was still there even after a year. I think the smell comes mostly from the nuluxe material on portions of the seat. Even if you have leather, isnt most of the seat made up of nuluxe or vinyl? That is my understanding. Leaving windows down in your garage (assuming you have a house) over night might help. I might start doing that with my RX.
I am starting to believe that Lexus uses more toxic interiors than other luxury brands like MB, BMW and Volvo. Audi/VW both tend to have Lexus-like smells which last.

This 2016 RX is my first Lexus. My friend has a relatively new IS 350 with NuLuxe and it smells pretty bad so I purchased an RX vs an NX as the RX is more readily available in leather but yes I should have realized the non seating surface portions of the seats and rest of the things like arm rests would be Lexus NuLuxe vs a virtually smell free BMW Sensatec.

Miserable

Last edited by Hydrogen; 06-04-16 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-04-16, 07:52 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

The gassing of the interior materials is quite harmful from what I have read. I think it also leaves a film on the windshield and window interiors for months and months. It is especially bad when left in the Sunday with the windows all up.

Who know what is harmful or not, only the government knows and they are not talking.
Old 06-04-16, 08:05 AM
Curryolla
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I remember reading an article about "toxic" car interiors. As a Chemical/Materials Engineer, I thought it might be interesting. Lexus in general is pretty good. Honda/Acura is best. The RX is mixed in results. (NOTE: This study was conducted in 2012! I have tried and have not found any new data.)

2011 RX: 1.75
2010 RX: 2.64
2008 RX: 1.24
2007 RX: 1.92

Scores are from 0=Low Hazard to 5=High Hazard.
Totally worth the read and rather interesting... http://www.ecocenter.org/sites/defau.../2012_Cars.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2012_Cars.pdf (2.02 MB, 180 views)
Old 06-04-16, 09:35 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

baking soda and the rest, and if you feel safe enough, just leave the windows down parked in the garage. Smell will slowly go away.

Large hydrocarbons are pita to remove and harmful, but hey some of us love that new car smell
Old 06-04-16, 09:36 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydrogen
Did your mother use baking soda or charcoal for this purpose - and if so, did it help?

How long did it take for her smell to finally wear off?
We did both for her car; left a couple of the charcoal packets under the front seats and baking soda box in the rear seat center cup holders. In a few weeks she couldn't smell it anymore, or reduced it to a point it where it wasn't bothering her anymore.
Old 06-04-16, 07:14 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I am starting to believe that Lexus uses more toxic interiors than other luxury brands like MB, BMW and Volvo. Audi/VW both tend to have Lexus-like smells which last.

This 2016 RX is my first Lexus. My friend has a relatively new IS 350 with NuLuxe and it smells pretty bad so I purchased an RX vs an NX as the RX is more readily available in leather but yes I should have realized the non seating surface portions of the seats and rest of the things like arm rests would be Lexus NuLuxe vs a virtually smell free BMW Sensatec.

Miserable
My Audi A5 had a new car smell that smelled mostly like leather. It was a pretty nice smell. Even when it was brand new, the smell wasn't overwhelming. Lexus has another smell that is not as pleasant and overwhelming. I suppose it could be the carpeting or the coating on the dash, but I think the culprit is the vinyl they are using.
Old 06-05-16, 08:50 AM
NRX
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Miserable
Do you have any links to a research that would prove your point? If it's your personal opinion then I would love to hear about it more in-depth. I know you said "I am starting to believe" but most people would read it as "Lexus interiors are more toxic than other luxury brands ..." which is highly incorrect (until you prove it otherwise of course).

I've had my RX for a couple months now and loving the new car and leather smell!!!

Have you tried circulating with outside air? By default it is set to circulate inside air.
Old 06-05-16, 12:53 PM
Macs4RX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just as a counterpoint - I have the Luxury's semi-aniline leather and love the new car smell. I can't believe that the concentration of volatile organics would be detrimental to one's health. Even then, once the fresh air ventilation kicked in this concentration would be quickly dispersed. But as NRX correctly advises, this is just my opinion, not based on research. Btw, I've had my RX 350 7 weeks.

Last edited by Macs4RX; 06-05-16 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Added content
Old 06-05-16, 03:51 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I find it funny how different manufacturers have different new car smells. I think Lexus has one of the better smells in a new car and the worst being Hyundai and Kia. Ford has a plastic new car smell mix with some male colone. While Kia/Hyundai smells like Plastic Puke/Vomit. To me Lexus smells clean and warm. BMWs smell more cold and sharp. Audis smell very feminine if that makes any sense.

Quick Reply: New car smell - for how long?