RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

New car smell - for how long?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-16, 07:54 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would hate to purchase a new car and not be able to stand it. It happened to my friend's IS. Do we know if people experiencing the smell have the nuluxe, regular leather or semi aniline leather? I have a 2010 but never had a problem.
Old 06-06-16, 08:16 PM
Hydrogen
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Mine is regular leather, but I am trading mine in tomorrow - going back to BMW. While I got the 2016 RX for over $2k below invoice, I am still going to be losing a total of ~$3k. My and my family's health is too valuable to me.

This combined with all the other issues people are complaining about (and I am experiencing) with mis-shifts, hesitations, engine noises and this out-gassing of chemical fumes, my first and last Lexus experience has not been a good one.
Old 06-06-16, 09:28 PM
Onion
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydrogen
Mine is regular leather, but I am trading mine in tomorrow - going back to BMW. While I got the 2016 RX for over $2k below invoice, I am still going to be losing a total of ~$3k. My and my family's health is too valuable to me.

This combined with all the other issues people are complaining about (and I am experiencing) with mis-shifts, hesitations, engine noises and this out-gassing of chemical fumes, my first and last Lexus experience has not been a good one.
Which bmw are you considering? I'm cross shopping with nx/rx/Glc/x3/a4. X3 seems pretty old and it's gonna have a refresh soon. Either 2017 or 2018.
Old 06-06-16, 09:58 PM
Hydrogen
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Onion
Which bmw are you considering? I'm cross shopping with nx/rx/Glc/x3/a4. X3 seems pretty old and it's gonna have a refresh soon. Either 2017 or 2018.
I looked at the X3 myself. Definitely looking 'tired' and yes 2018 model year refresh.

Actually, I am considering saving some (due to my losses from the RX) and go back to building some equity with a CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) 328 or 335. You may choose to do the same on an SUV. My BMW adviser mentioned that the X5 has 'amazing lease deals' going on - but I am not interested in leasing one.
Old 06-07-16, 07:29 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

I looked at the X3 myself. Definitely looking 'tired' and yes 2018 model year refresh.

Actually, I am considering saving some (due to my losses from the RX) and go back to building some equity with a CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) 328 or 335. You may choose to do the same on an SUV. My BMW adviser mentioned that the X5 has 'amazing lease deals' going on - but I am not interested in leasing one.
If you can just wait for the BMW driving event this summer. Pick up the voucher and add in the race to the end event for compounded savings. EOP on the F25 is coming this year I believed? Also consult with askadealer section on bimmerfest, some dealers have some insane savings on select models there.
Old 06-09-16, 07:38 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
I find it funny how different manufacturers have different new car smells. I think Lexus has one of the better smells in a new car and the worst being Hyundai and Kia. Ford has a plastic new car smell mix with some male colone. While Kia/Hyundai smells like Plastic Puke/Vomit. To me Lexus smells clean and warm. BMWs smell more cold and sharp. Audis smell very feminine if that makes any sense.
Yes, and the VW leather always smelled like crayons to me.
Old 06-09-16, 11:25 PM
brxsilva
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PURGGO Odor Absorber

Wanted to ask other 2016 RX owners how long it took for the interior 'new car smell' to go away?

My wife and I find it to be rather strong compared to other new cars we have purchased (from various makes other than Lexus).

It has even given me a dull headache if I drive it for an extended period of time.

Yes, driving with fresh air vs recirculate setting and cracking windows. Also, trying to 'bake out' the smell in the hot Florida sun with windows cracked. Leaving them cracked at night while the vehicle is in the garage too.

Thanks

You might want to try PURGGO. Unfortunately it is out of stock on Amazon. I bought 2, one for my wife and the other for my son's car. Works well. Tried it because of the reviews.
I plan on getting another for my RX when the new car scent is gone. Hopeully by then, this will be back in stock.
Good luck to you. <br >
Old 06-11-16, 03:29 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Just ordered the PURGGO Car Air Freshener. I'll report back on its effectiveness.
Old 06-12-16, 03:38 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by roblim
Just ordered the PURGGO Car Air Freshener. I'll report back on its effectiveness.
Was planning on getting one too! Looks legit. Let us know what smell difference you smell.
Old 06-30-16, 01:46 PM
JosersRX
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If I could bottle that new Lexus Leather/Car smell I would! I don't see why folks complain.
Old 06-30-16, 08:19 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JosersRX
If I could bottle that new Lexus Leather/Car smell I would! I don't see why folks complain.
Me either! I do everything I can think of to keep it.
Old 06-30-16, 09:34 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Just put on some Lexol leather cleaner & conditioner on your seats and you'll get that new car smell again

http://www.lexol.com/
Old 07-01-16, 06:50 AM
JosersRX
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sandy14
Me either! I do everything I can think of to keep it.
Right??? The smell is one of the best parts of buying, well a NEW car!
Old 07-04-16, 12:28 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Hydrogen, I may be wrong but your 12 negative posts about smells, excessive noise, vibrations and hesitations, all made in the first week of June, suggests you might be a BMW dealer trying to tarnish the Lexus image. Sorry if I am mistaken.
Old 07-04-16, 12:48 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by sderman
Hydrogen, I may be wrong but your 12 negative posts about smells, excessive noise, vibrations and hesitations, all made in the first week of June, suggests you might be a BMW dealer trying to tarnish the Lexus image. Sorry if I am mistaken.
LOL. who cares though. It's a forum so people can say whatever they want. Good OL BMW. I'd totally get a BMW if I had the money. X6 M for me please.

Quick Reply: New car smell - for how long?