RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Google Maps

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-16, 09:14 PM
is250awdfs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Google Maps

Is there a way to send directions mapped through Google Maps (or even just the address) to the RX navigation system? I find it is much faster searching for an address in Google and it takes much longer to have to type it out on the car nav system. I've heard of the enform app suite but not sure Canadians have that, plus I don't want to subscribe to the service.

I have a RX 350 Luxury edition (Canada). Thanks.
Old 06-01-16, 10:13 PM
macdee
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You can try the NaviBridge app:
https://itunes.apple.com/app/navibri...498898448?mt=8

It connects to 4RX navigation and allows to control it (and send locations).
Connectivity is not extremely good (won't connect if your phone is connected to the navigation via USB), but it's your best bet… And it's free.
Old 06-02-16, 07:49 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by is250awdfs
Is there a way to send directions mapped through Google Maps (or even just the address) to the RX navigation system? I find it is much faster searching for an address in Google and it takes much longer to have to type it out on the car nav system. I've heard of the enform app suite but not sure Canadians have that, plus I don't want to subscribe to the service.

I have a RX 350 Luxury edition (Canada). Thanks.
Would be very nice.

I just use m my phone. Don't bother with Lexus nav
Old 06-02-16, 08:59 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

The fact that Lexus does not offer any proper phone interface/integration in Canada is shameful in 2016.

Honda Civic at 1/4 of the cost has it!!
Old 06-02-16, 09:22 AM
gorcorps
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
The fact that Lexus does not offer any proper phone interface/integration in Canada is shameful in 2016.

Honda Civic at 1/4 of the cost has it!!

Especially since so many of them are MADE in Canada... seems silly
Old 06-02-16, 10:16 PM
PatrickKan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by macdee
You can try the NaviBridge app:
https://itunes.apple.com/app/navibri...498898448?mt=8

It connects to 4RX navigation and allows to control it (and send locations).
Connectivity is not extremely good (won't connect if your phone is connected to the navigation via USB), but it's your best bet… And it's free.
Hi Macdee,

I tried this on my 4RX-350 (Hong Kong version - Made in Japan) via bluetooth and USB but couldn't get my iPhone 6s+ to connect to the nav either way. Any clue?

PS. Not surprising this doesn't work - both Voice Command and Siri do not work in our local version if the Nav is set to English language.

Last edited by PatrickKan; 06-02-16 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-03-16, 12:10 AM
macdee
Driver

Originally Posted by PatrickKan
Hi Macdee,

I tried this on my 4RX-350 (Hong Kong version - Made in Japan) via bluetooth and USB but couldn't get my iPhone 6s+ to connect to the nav either way. Any clue?

PS. Not surprising this doesn't work - both Voice Command and Siri do not work in our local version if the Nav is set to English language.
Yeah… the connectivity is kinda unpredictable. I still can't figure out what exactly needs to be done in order to create connection between navigation and app with 100% probability. Luckily, on Lexus cars in Japan we have a Siri-like voice navigation system, which decreases need for this NaviBridge app - so I didn't spend much time trying to figure it out. Usually, either opening Bluetooth settings on iPhone and clicking on Lexus navigation in the list there, or doing similar from the navigation side worked. Automatic connections have been hit or miss, without much of a pattern…

I just tried both English and Japanese language on my navigation (Japan-made 4RX in Japan), and in both cases the app was able to eventually connect.

BTW, I don't believe USB connection is supported at all. I believe I saw just the contrary somewhere (USB prevents connection). Has to be Bluetooth.
Old 06-03-16, 12:46 AM
PatrickKan
Driver School Candidate

Yeah… the connectivity is kinda unpredictable. I still can't figure out what exactly needs to be done in order to create connection between navigation and app with 100% probability. Luckily, on Lexus cars in Japan we have a Siri-like voice navigation system, which decreases need for this NaviBridge app - so I didn't spend much time trying to figure it out. Usually, either opening Bluetooth settings on iPhone and clicking on Lexus navigation in the list there, or doing similar from the navigation side worked. Automatic connections have been hit or miss, without much of a pattern…

I just tried both English and Japanese language on my navigation (Japan-made 4RX in Japan), and in both cases the app was able to eventually connect.

BTW, I don't believe USB connection is supported at all. I believe I saw just the contrary somewhere (USB prevents connection). Has to be Bluetooth.
Thanks. Unfortunately, Voice Command, Bluetooth or/and Navigation are factory handicapped in the Hong Kong version at least for the English language. Our only importer/dealer here either don't care or don't know I am talking about.

The "Mirrorlink" function is also factory removed as well so another route to integrate smartphone to nav or the useless 12.3" screen is shut off.

Do you find the "Mirrorlink" option in Menu/Info screen?
Old 06-03-16, 12:58 AM
macdee
Driver

Originally Posted by PatrickKan
Thanks. Unfortunately, Voice Command, Bluetooth or/and Navigation are factory handicapped in the Hong Kong version at least for the English language. Our only importer/dealer here either don't care or don't know I am talking about.

The "Mirrorlink" function is also factory removed as well so another route to integrate smartphone to nav or the useless 12.3" screen is shut off.

Do you find the "Mirrorlink" option in Menu/Info screen?
Nope… there's no "Mirrorlink" anywhere. Looks like a nice feature! But there's nothing even close to this one on Japanese Lexus cars… We do have some neat things like G-Link (G-Book) or ITS ( vids here: http://lexus.jp/brand/technology/itsconnect/ ) so I call it a draw

As far as I see, Lexus navigation in US is most well-rounded and balanced… Enform looks fantastic and very useful. Oh well… can't have it all.
Old 06-03-16, 02:16 AM
PatrickKan
Driver School Candidate

Nope… there's no "Mirrorlink" anywhere. Looks like a nice feature! But there's nothing even close to this one on Japanese Lexus cars… We do have some neat things like G-Link (G-Book) or ITS ( vids here: http://lexus.jp/brand/technology/itsconnect/ ) so I call it a draw

As far as I see, Lexus navigation in US is most well-rounded and balanced… Enform looks fantastic and very useful. Oh well… can't have it all.
Yes, these are very nice and well thought out features - they have fantastic infrastructure there. We have none of these here. All Hong Kong 4RX's don't even have basic options like Safety System +, BSM, RCTA and PVM available in US, Australia and Japan even we want to pay for them. The trouble is we have no where to complain, and there is only one dealer unless we are willing to parallel import from Japan or Australia.
Old 06-03-16, 03:48 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Is Lexus Driver even available in Canada?

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...-lexus/home.do

Toyota/Lexus needs to step up to Apple Carplay or Android Auto.
Old 06-03-16, 06:32 AM
Comfort
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bootman
Is Lexus Driver even available in Canada?

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...-lexus/home.do

Toyota/Lexus needs to step up to Apple Carplay or Android Auto.
I agree but it doesn't look promising since they are silent on the subject approaching the 2017 builds. I have Android Auto in my 2016 GMC Denali and won't buy an RX as planned this fall unless AA is included. It makes the system so easy to use voice commands. Just long press voice and you can navigate without an address in many cases. I.e., navigate to "name of business, gas station name or Doctor , etc". "Distance to Denver" Play a song by title! Much easier and much safer use of the infotainment features and a wifi version is coming soon.
Old 06-03-16, 07:55 AM
tomtom74
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I just use Lexus Enform Destinations.
Old 06-03-16, 10:43 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by tomtom74
I just use Lexus Enform Destinations.
Lexus Enform and App Suite isn't available in Canada...which is where OP's Lexus is located.
Old 06-03-16, 07:11 PM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Quite a few brands seem concerned about handing over the center console to Google/Apple, but are struggling to develop a UI that meets modern expectations. Mainstream brands seem to be accepting it much faster. Maybe there are brand differentiation problems if a critical piece of the experience in a Lexus matches that of a Toyota. I don't know.

My Mercedes infotainment is pretty simplistic. Not Lexus bad, but not good. I'd much rather have AA, but the system I have as a workaround is fine. I have a magnetic mount for the phone, and have Google Now (Android version of Siri) enabled. The only downside is the screen isn't as conveniently positioned as my built in display, but I do essentially get an extra screen and don't have to plug anything in unless I want to charge. I probably won't ever use the nav, Google is so much better with traffic and alternate route suggestions.