RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Navigation Issue

Old 05-27-16, 10:45 AM
pqn628
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Navigation Issue

About 2 hours into my drive, the navigation screen flashed real bright white, shut off, and restarted. this all happened while I was driving on the highway. Everything continued to work fine after the sudden reboot. We stopped for gas 2 hours after the nav restart. When I turned the car back on, the mouse wasn't working, the volume control and voice command did not work, Bluetooth audio did not work and the screen did not split screen while we were on the highway. I got off the next exist, turn off the car, turned it back on and it started working fine again.

I am dropping it off at Lexus on Tuesday but I wonder if the firmware they just pushed out might have caused this issue. I had my wife take a picture of the nav screen. As you can see, the exit split screen does not show and the side menu bar is also a little off.

The car has 1400 miles on it.

Old 05-29-16, 06:51 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

It seems as thought these newer generation lexus vehicles are having more problems like this and many others like gurgling AC sound. I guess when companys try to push out new tech too fast than there will be problems. Lexus is becoming like BMW now and BMW is becoming like Lexus.

Lexus is making cars than handle well like older BMWs with updated tech but reducing durability and intorducing more glitches. While BMW has been building cars with more Luxury emphasis instead of handling and seems to be slightly more reliable. These two companies are trying to switch places. LoL.

I still love my Lexi though!
Old 05-31-16, 10:17 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pqn628

but I wonder if the firmware they just pushed out might have caused this issue.

I must have dozed off, what firmware update?

It does, however, sound like you're a winner of a new warranty replaced nav/radio !! With your documentation, you should be able to get it replaced no problem.
Old 05-31-16, 01:40 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
I must have dozed off, what firmware update?

It does, however, sound like you're a winner of a new warranty replaced nav/radio !! With your documentation, you should be able to get it replaced no problem.
Yeah what a great prize to win a new navigation on a new car. After they tear down the car dash and replace everthing i hope they dont break any installation trim fasteners and making things loose resulting in rattles and squeaks. Good luck.
Old 06-01-16, 07:58 PM
pqn628
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

So they said they could not find anything wrong with it. They said they pulled data from the "blackbox" and they didn't see any recording of the nav shutting off by itself. I told them it happened around 11:07 PM because that is when my wife took the picture.

If it happens again, I will record it.

I also noticed the speedometer is about 3 mph off. I set the cruise control to 76 and the needle was hovering close to the 80 mark. I know it wont always be exact but 3 MPH seems like a big gap to me. I also brought this up and they said its normal.

Overall, the RX the best car/SUV for road trips. I have driven 20 plus cars on road trips and the RX by far is the most comfortable, smooth, quiet and responsive.
Old 06-01-16, 10:08 PM
macdee
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm having these kinds of "soft reboots" pretty often lately… once every 1-2 weeks (and I don't even drive that much). Navigation screens (both steering wheel small screen and navigation main screen) go black for several seconds (audio stops, phone disconnects…), and then come back up.

Got my car logs downloaded by Lexus service engineers (not sure if they got anything useful from them) and sent to Lexus HQ. I don't expect any quick solutions to this (if any at all…… judging by my old 3RX)

In general, Lexus navigation systems software always sucked and probably will suck for a foreseeable future… At least it doesn't just hard freeze like on my old 3RX. Yet.

But that car itself is so good that I'm willing to ignore some of the software issues… (not that it prevents me from reporting everything to my dealership - the more folks report the hotter the fire is under Lexus software engineers asses…)