RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX 350 Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-16, 05:48 AM
fheapes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zero problems since the repair..zero evidence of a repair. No worries.
Old 12-14-16, 03:17 PM
salesagent
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
If you are getting it this week, then it should have a build date of 05/16.
I just noticed i have an oil leak too.
I am not a happy camper right now knowing they have to take out my engine.
I dont know the exact date of the build but i ordered the car late november and got it late feb 2016.
I bet alot of these RX350 are leaking and the owners dont know it.
I will recommend to all of you that have this truck to park the truck and leave it for 2 days. that is the only time i really notice the oil on my garage floor.
If i used the car every day i wouldn't find any oil on the floor.
Old 12-14-16, 04:24 PM
ZelmanGSM
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Dealer broke something in the engine

went i took the car back from the dealer the i got home and the car had this big leak now, i had to take it back, they explain the broke something else and needed to order the part to get it fixed, be aware!

Old 12-15-16, 04:52 AM
salesagent
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ZelmanGSM
went i took the car back from the dealer the i got home and the car had this big leak now, i had to take it back, they explain the broke something else and needed to order the part to get it fixed, be aware!

this is exactly what I'm worried about.
They fix the leak and other things go wrong when I take the car home.
Just curious, do you know when you're truck was built?
Old 12-15-16, 07:53 AM
ZelmanGSM
Driver School Candidate

Default maybe Jan-2016

it has that 01/16 on the top right corner of the picture so we are talking about about a two month period maybe, i think they produce more than 5,000 of this RX350 a month so we are talking about a big issue, with this thread we are close to a 1 out of every 10 cars affected, that was my concern as well going into the repair that they will break something else, in such an expensive vehicle having all this issues is just unfortunate.

The following users liked this post:
ioneldinu (11-07-20)
Old 12-15-16, 09:38 AM
Lexus1998
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

The thing is this same issue has been around since 2006 in GS and ES, there was even a TSB issued I know for sure on 2006 GS. I don't understand why now 10 years later they haven't corrected the issue in all models. I don't know if yours is leased, but if it was me and leased I would just live with it rather then ripping the engine completly out as from what I saw with 06 GS it wasn'ts huge leak at all nothing that would leak out a lot of oil. The other option is if it's really new I am sure with enough complaints to corp and lawyer they would buy it back if it was a lease. I understand all things have defects, but again this is an issue that has been on going since 2006 with listed TSBs.

Sorry to hear man, I am curious to see how many others also have this and don't realize it because it is very slight ussually.
I am just not going to look underneath...
Old 12-15-16, 09:45 AM
ZelmanGSM
Driver School Candidate

in my case i never saw any oil mark in my garage, i took the car for schedule maintenance and they mentioned the leak on the timming chain cover and that they need it to fix it, so they look for that already when you bring the car.
Old 12-16-16, 07:15 AM
nas2344
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine was made 9/16 it's a 17, am I ok?
Old 12-16-16, 08:19 AM
ZelmanGSM
Driver School Candidate

the explanation they give me is that the factory did not placed the silicon properly in the timmimg cover, if they identified the defect in the production line and corrected it, we should only see 01/16 to 02/16 affected with this issue.

i only see people here that has experience the issues from those dates, hopefully your vehicle was produce correctly.
Old 12-16-16, 09:57 AM
salesagent
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus1998
The thing is this same issue has been around since 2006 in GS and ES, there was even a TSB issued I know for sure on 2006 GS. I don't understand why now 10 years later they haven't corrected the issue in all models. I don't know if yours is leased, but if it was me and leased I would just live with it rather then ripping the engine completly out as from what I saw with 06 GS it wasn'ts huge leak at all nothing that would leak out a lot of oil. The other option is if it's really new I am sure with enough complaints to corp and lawyer they would buy it back if it was a lease. I understand all things have defects, but again this is an issue that has been on going since 2006 with listed TSBs.

Sorry to hear man, I am curious to see how many others also have this and don't realize it because it is very slight ussually.
I am just not going to look underneath...
yes that is what i said. i bet there are a lot of rx350 that are leaking and they dont know it. the only time i see oil on my garage floor is when the car sits there for a day or 2
without me moving it. This is crazy, i forked out 53,000 for this truck and they now have to remove my engine. i think it will be a miracle if i get it back
and nothing else is wrong with it
Old 12-16-16, 11:37 AM
Lexus1998
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZelmanGSM
in my case i never saw any oil mark in my garage, i took the car for schedule maintenance and they mentioned the leak on the timming chain cover and that they need it to fix it, so they look for that already when you bring the car.
I bet the dealer likes finding this leak, think about all the labor and cost they can charge back to Lexus Corp for warrenty work.
I am sure there thousands of them out there leaking, think about it you can't even blame Canada factory because at time it was mostly found on ES/GS/IS which were made in Japan.
Since it hasn't been fixed since 2006 I would say it's more then sealant but a design flaw in that whole cover design and being that it doesn't always happen it would probaly be more expensive to redsign vs fix the ones that they see.
Old 12-16-16, 12:24 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

ES ans IS have different engines than the 16 RX, but I agree that the ES and IS have Japanese engines where most RX' have American engines.
Old 08-17-17, 06:46 PM
Rodickens
Driver School Candidate

Default 2017 RX 350 vacuum oil leak

Our 2017 RX developed an oil leak at 1300 miles. Initially the service folks thought the leak was a cam seal on the back of the engine. They thought the engine would have to be removed to repair the leak. Fortunately they discovered the leak was coming from around the vacuum pump. The service folks replaced an O ring where the pump connects to the engine. The leak appears to be stopped and the engine was never removed,whew. The dealership was great. Northpark Lexus at the Dominion did a great job.

Last edited by Rodickens; 08-18-17 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Spelling error and clarity.
Old 08-18-17, 06:02 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Wow I can't believe what I am reading. This is my first Lexus and I picked the RX because of Lexus reliability
I have been dealing with vibration and drone since day one which there is no fix for. Now I see this, where is there amazing reliability. I am really disappointed with Lexus especially for the high price.
tiepnguyen (10-06-17)
Old 08-18-17, 10:06 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw
Wow I can't believe what I am reading. This is my first Lexus and I picked the RX because of Lexus reliability
I have been dealing with vibration and drone since day one which there is no fix for. Now I see this, where is there amazing reliability. I am really disappointed with Lexus especially for the high price.
Reliability and initial quality are two different things.

ggebhardt (08-18-17)

Quick Reply: 2016 RX 350 Oil Leak