RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Customization of Folding Side View Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-16, 12:10 PM
WineGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Customization of Folding Side View Mirrors

I recently received my 2016 RX-350, and noticed that the outside Rear View Mirrors automatically fold/extend when the car is locked/unlocked. Wondering if there were other options to trigger this action, I looked in the 'Customization' section of the Owners Manual. On page 705, I found "Outside rear view mirrors - Automatic mirror folding and extending operation". It notes that the Default Setting is "Linked to the locking/unlocking of the doors". It also states that there are no options "that can be changed on the audio system screen". But It further states that that there are two Customized Settings "that can be changed by your Lexus dealer"; one is to turn the operation "Off", and the other is to have the action "Linked to operation of the engine switch".

That second setting sounded exactly like what I wanted. So, when I went to the dealer to pick up my license plates and have them installed (using that 'lovely' bracket on the front), I asked them to change this customization setting. The service guy brought the vehicle back reporting that no such setting was available to them.

This leaves me with two questions for you other owners. First, has anyone made this option change themselves? Second, is a response from the dealer service department the final answer, or is there a way to contact Lexus to ask about his apparent discrepancy in the Owners Manual?
Old 05-14-16, 09:02 AM
Macs4RX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WineGuy
I recently received my 2016 RX-350, and noticed that the outside Rear View Mirrors automatically fold/extend when the car is locked/unlocked. Wondering if there were other options to trigger this action, I looked in the 'Customization' section of the Owners Manual. On page 705, I found "Outside rear view mirrors - Automatic mirror folding and extending operation". It notes that the Default Setting is "Linked to the locking/unlocking of the doors". It also states that there are no options "that can be changed on the audio system screen". But It further states that that there are two Customized Settings "that can be changed by your Lexus dealer"; one is to turn the operation "Off", and the other is to have the action "Linked to operation of the engine switch".

That second setting sounded exactly like what I wanted. So, when I went to the dealer to pick up my license plates and have them installed (using that 'lovely' bracket on the front), I asked them to change this customization setting. The service guy brought the vehicle back reporting that no such setting was available to them.

This leaves me with two questions for you other owners. First, has anyone made this option change themselves? Second, is a response from the dealer service department the final answer, or is there a way to contact Lexus to ask about his apparent discrepancy in the Owners Manual?
Sorry if this doesn't directly address your question but I turned off the automatic folding/extending operation of the side view mirrors (linked to the locking/unlocking of the doors). I did this by
pressing the "Auto" button on the driver's side door panel until the small LED indicator turned off.
Old 05-16-16, 11:42 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

no answers?

I'm hoping the CARISTA app has that feature. Won't know until I get the car.
Old 05-16-16, 12:13 PM
Vincent05
Driver

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
no answers?

I'm hoping the CARISTA app has that feature. Won't know until I get the car.

Auto fold side-view mirrors (req. power folding mirrors)
WITH IGNITION / *WITH DOOR LOCKS* / DISABLED

That is with Carista.
Old 05-16-16, 03:04 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Vincent05

That is with Carista.
Thanks for this.

THere you have it.
Old 05-16-16, 05:11 PM
WineGuy
Driver School Candidate

That is with Carista.
Hmmmm...
Carista can do it, but my dealer service shop says they can't.

That seems odd
Old 05-16-16, 06:28 PM
Vincent05
Driver

Originally Posted by WineGuy
Hmmmm...
Carista can do it, but my dealer service shop says they can't.

That seems odd
Not all dealership are honest and truthful.
Old 05-17-16, 07:59 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Not all dealership are honest and truthful.
Or knowledgeble.
Old 05-21-16, 07:29 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Just did this with carista app.

I am afraid that the folding mirrors will brake over time like the old LX.

I feel like we unlock/lock our doors way more than we start the car so I switched it to the ignition mode and I like this much better. Used the carista app.
Old 05-21-16, 12:54 PM
kenforum
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I want to customize the folding of my side mirrors too. Do I have to just download the Carista app and get a OBDII cable?
Old 05-21-16, 02:10 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kenforum
I want to customize the folding of my side mirrors too. Do I have to just download the Carista app and get a OBDII cable?
Make sure you get the correct adapter. I have an iOS or iPhone.

Veepeak Mini WiFi OBD2 OBD 2 OBDII OBD II Scanner Scan Tool Adapter Check Engine Light Diagnostic Trouble Code Reader for iOS iPhone iPad and Android https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WPW6BAE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_E4mqxbV17SAC8

Carissa app is free and some settings you can customize for free. But mostly you have to pay 20 to get the premium app and its unlimited changes.

There are a few vehicle setting changes on the menu setup on the car itself that I didn't know that are also on the app.

I changed my auto blinker times to 5 instead of 3. All the doors unlock when I grab the handle as well as the remote. Just a few things that made it worth it
Old 05-21-16, 02:41 PM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Make sure you get the correct adapter. I have an iOS or iPhone.

Veepeak Mini WiFi OBD2 OBD 2 OBDII OBD II Scanner Scan Tool Adapter Check Engine Light Diagnostic Trouble Code Reader for iOS iPhone iPad and Android https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WPW6BAE..._E4mqxbV17SAC8
I see this device says it may not support hybrid vehicles. Has anyone tried it on the Rx450h?
Old 05-21-16, 03:50 PM
Baxter64
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the Carista company must have gone bust. Use at your own peril.

No responses to support emails anymore, no FB activity in 2 months, no response to any personal messages sent.

They have a big bag of cash and have bolted..
Old 05-21-16, 06:53 PM
kenforum
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure you get the correct adapter. I have an iOS or iPhone. Veepeak Mini WiFi OBD2 OBD 2 OBDII OBD II Scanner Scan Tool Adapter Check Engine Light Diagnostic Trouble Code Reader for iOS iPhone iPad and Android https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WPW6BAE..._E4mqxbV17SAC8 Carissa app is free and some settings you can customize for free. But mostly you have to pay 20 to get the premium app and its unlimited changes. There are a few vehicle setting changes on the menu setup on the car itself that I didn't know that are also on the app. I changed my auto blinker times to 5 instead of 3. All the doors unlock when I grab the handle as well as the remote. Just a few things that made it worth it
Thanks! If I just want to customize the side mirrors setting (link to ignition), do I have to pay $20 for the pro version? Or the free version will do it?
Old 05-21-16, 07:46 PM
Baxter64
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You pay $20 USD

Quick Reply: Customization of Folding Side View Mirrors