RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

HUD Speed Limit display intermittant

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-16, 07:37 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiboater
Eric: Is there any way to make the HUD more "nanny-like"? Like a custom setting? My 2016 Denali shows it all the time and I like it and don't consider it too busy.

I don't need it to tell me that the speed limit has changed. They have signs along the road to do that. I want to know what it is when there are no signs.

Frank

I agree the HUD needs more customization. I don't understand why everything defaults to a dumb compass. I really don't care if i am going East at the moment. I want to know how far I am from the next nav turn and want to see it all the time even if my next nav instruction is 50 miles away.

Also why can't i keep the speed limit on the HUD?

With such a large, clear, color HUD, why does Lexus let us only display nanny data few seconds..what a waste. again another Lexus illogical move in not allow end users as many customization. where it really would have no cost to lexus.
Old 12-09-16, 08:40 AM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by satnav
I agree the HUD needs more customization.

With such a large, clear, color HUD, why does Lexus let us only display nanny data few seconds..what a waste. again another Lexus illogical move in not allow end users as many customization. where it really would have no cost to lexus.
I liked when I change roads the HUD shows a big speed limit sign and then reduces. Unfortunately, this does not last long. I am paying attention on turning and watching out for traffic. When I am able to really focus in the HUD, the speed limit sign has gone off the HUD. It would be nice to have the option to color the current speed red, if you are exceeding the speed limit and show you the current speed limit. This would be very useful for those little towns with police traps that go from 60MPH to 35MPH in a few feet, in Texas.

I also feel the compass takes too much space. It would be more useful to just say N.

Another thing I have observed if the street has a long name, the HUD displays the letters offset from each other (not aligned to their bottom). My guess is that they had to compress the spacing and this distorts the font.

Also is there a way to control the night time brightness dim. During the day, I wear polarized sunglasses, so the HUD brightness is at full. At night time, I have to constantly lower its brightness. To make it clear, the HUD does dim at night, but not enough. During the day, it dims in response to going under a bridge or tunnel. It would be nice to have a brightness setting for day and another for night time.

Last edited by lexnewbi; 12-09-16 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-10-16, 04:20 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by dfc350
I've noticed the same. The HUD gets its speed limit information from the navigation system map dataset, so this is probably a deficiency in the nav data, not in the HUD.
This.

I barely pay attention to the speed limit shown in the HUD.
Old 01-07-17, 11:15 AM
Lepapeherm
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Triggering factor !!

Originally Posted by lexnewbi
I liked when I change roads the HUD shows a big speed limit sign and then reduces. Unfortunately, this does not last long. I am paying attention on turning and watching out for traffic. When I am able to really focus in the HUD, the speed limit sign has gone off the HUD.
Like others, I am trying to find the rational behind the HUD Speed Limit display behaviour.

Today I noticed the Speed Limit showing in the HUD exactly as I was passing a street side Speed Limit Sign...... not a coincidence, this is the second time I am noticing this behavior on the same street.

The question is: How can a sign street trigger the HUD????? or does it ?????

​​​Anyone else noticed this behaviour???

And the speed limit goes from BIG to small, then vanish after a certain amoungt of time!!!!!!!
Old 01-07-17, 11:44 AM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Earman
I just discovered today that the speed limit could be displayed on the HUD. As soon as I crossed the border into WA state, the speed limit was displayed on the HUD. As soon as I was back in Canada, it stopped! It is extremely useful and I can't believe we do not have it in Canada! Very frustrating!
Which is just plain stupid because the NAV shows the speed limit.
Old 01-07-17, 05:25 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Lepapeherm
Like others, I am trying to find the rational behind the HUD Speed Limit display behaviour.

The question is: How can a sign street trigger the HUD????? or does it ?????
The speed limit is obtained from the Navigation system. Map data has speed limit information that was obtained from the posted signs by cars driving around all these streets and capturing speed limit information and storing them on their database. Thus, the speed is typically displayed close to posted signs or when you turn into a street that has a different speed limit.
Technology is not quite ready to read the posted signs yet, but that will happen in the next few years. It would be cool that cameras in cars detects stop lights, construction signs, or a school zone active time info to tell you when to slow down. I am looking forward to the system calculating at a stop light if I have enough time to clear the intersection if the light turns yellow or if I stop that the car behind me is not going to ram my car.
The following users liked this post:
Lepapeherm (01-17-17)
Old 01-03-18, 09:03 AM
bobbr
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question NAV Speed Limit Icon - Not Showing in MID

Hello. Not sure what happened, but for some reason the speed limit icon on my 17RX350 stopped showing up on my MID.

I checked the settings under the NAV Map Info Details and the Speed Limit Icon is set to on.

Is there any other settings I need to check?

I use the speed limit icon a lot cause it tells me quickly what the posted speed limit is on the freeways or city roads.

Thanks.
Old 01-03-18, 10:42 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Mid ???
sorry not sure what mid is.
Old 01-03-18, 11:26 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by bobbr
Hello. Not sure what happened, but for some reason the speed limit icon on my 17RX350 stopped showing up on my MID.

I checked the settings under the NAV Map Info Details and the Speed Limit Icon is set to on.

Is there any other settings I need to check?

I use the speed limit icon a lot cause it tells me quickly what the posted speed limit is on the freeways or city roads.

Thanks.
Read this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ermittant.html
bobbr (01-03-18)
Old 01-03-18, 11:43 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by JSracer
Mid ???
Multi-Information Display

Generally meant as the TFT display in the gauge cluster.
The following 2 users liked this post by JDR76:
bobbr (01-03-18), JSracer (01-03-18)
Old 01-03-18, 12:05 PM
bobbr
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JSracer
Mid ???
Here you go.

Normally the Speed Limit Indicator will display when you are set to NAVI (2nd icon from left)
JSracer (01-03-18)
Old 01-03-18, 12:18 PM
JSracer
Instructor

I see the speed limit in the hud, guess I don't look at the mid much.
Thanks, learning terms and acronym. Should do some light reading of the pdf manual. Lots to learn.y first Toyota and first Lexus. I was a ase certified master mechanic for 25 years, so it shouldn't be too hard to get up to speed.

Last edited by JSracer; 01-03-18 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-28-19, 10:21 PM
arnie1
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can't figure out how to get the SPEED LIMIT to show up on the HUD. There doesn't seem to be any info in the manual. The GPS screen shows speed limits, just not showing on the HUD.
Old 08-29-19, 03:24 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Originally Posted by arnie1
I can't figure out how to get the SPEED LIMIT to show up on the HUD. There doesn't seem to be any info in the manual. The GPS screen shows speed limits, just not showing on the HUD.
the speed limit pops up when the speed limit changes, say from 50 to 40, it will pop up 40 for a few seconds.
i don't think it is able to be displayed on demand.
ericsan13 (08-29-19)
Old 11-05-20, 08:51 PM
WalterYao
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed this is an old threads but I provide my input and question here anyway. I got my 2020 RX450h recently. I the speed limit showing in my HUD 30-50% of time. However, sometimes, i.e, estimated ~30% of showing time, the speed limit showing in HUD is different from the speed limit shown in the Navigation map display. For example, when the highway speed limit is 65 mph the map shows 65 mph but the HUD shows 55 mph which is the lower speed limit of the HWY. but this is only for some sections of the HWY. Most of time, HUD shows the same speed limit as from the map. I am not sure this is an defective of the Navigation or something else. Any comments from anyone knowledgeable on this? Thanks!

Quick Reply: HUD Speed Limit display intermittant